Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my students e-mailed me and said in part, "...Me and my fiancee want to get into shooting and I know you have mentioned that your into guns. I don't know how much your into it, but, I was wondering if you had any suggestions on some good beginner guns for us ...". Are you kidding me! I'm in hog heaven! I may actually get to introduce somebody else into shooting. And the icing on the cake is they're going to get the benefit of all the training I've had, etc.

I invited them to go to the range with me, all expenses paid. I'll supply the ammo and guns and targets. That's a wee bit expensive but if I can get a man and his fiancee interested in shooting, I figure it's a good investment.

He also wanted to know if I could suggest some guns for starting out! Are you kidding me!

This is great! I love this country, well not California or New York.

I've taught a lot of people to shoot, well I might add. I'm affordable - free - and I love it!

I'm open to suggestions here guys!

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
Cool,maybe start with .22's ? If they haven't fired handguns before it might be easier. they should ask to shoot bigger in no time I would imagine.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Yep - way to go Ron.

I know we all almost, suggest 22's but hey - no recoil, cheap - major grin factor and easiest start I can think of. Rifle first maybe then handgun.

Soon as that is adequately enjoyed and achieved, a decent size revo with nice .38 spls - again not too harsh.

From there on in it's down to their enthusiasm, your patience and - ammo supply LOL!

·
Administrator
143,591 Posts
That's Great Tangle

Good Job!
Ditto: the .22 rimfire.
I STILL love shooting .22
It's a great confidence builder for new shooters & just plain fun to shoot.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
We need you in CA and NY, Tangle

The guys are right. Just when I think the .22 has nothing to offer, a flinch or bad habit creeps in and the .22 is the best medicine. Bring along big vitamin C tabs to make orange puffs when hit, swinging aluminum cans to make noise, and stuff to knock over. Then let their killer instincts do the rest.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Bring a variety of guns.

Some people aren't shotgun people. Some just aren't rifle people. Some just aren't revolver people. Some aren't pistol people. Some love .22 - others it's a waste.

In other words, it's an excuse to bring one of everything and let them buffet.

·
Super Moderator
13,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the excellent input guys! His response indicates they are pretty much newbees so the .22 route sounds good.

Thanks to everyone!

·
Registered
134 Posts
On a related note, I have an older niece and nephew that are very excited to go shooting with me and be introduced the wonderful world of handguns so I share your excitement Tangle. I will certainly report on the outing when it occurs. I just wish I had more experience to impart but I can certainly show them proper handling, loading, unloading, and basic shooting technique.

·
Super Moderator
13,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's more than most get XD9! Good for you!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts