Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At my IDPA match today, one of the DHS guys made mention that H&K has entered into a new product that is in the preproduction stages. They hired the former armorer from Delta Force to design a 1911 style handgun (45ACP) that still incorporates the H&K features of the various trigger variations. Supposedly it features the EXACT same grip dimensions of a 1911:image035: but has a staggered (but not double stack) magazine that allows for 10rds to fit flush against the bottom of the mag well. :danceban: It will be available to the public after the first several military contracts are completed and it will (I won't hold my breath:rolleyes: ) retail for approx the same price as a full size USP 45. Yeah, it may spike up a bit at first on the strength of high demand....but it's supposed to settle down.:yup: :wink:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
That will be more than a little interesting, by sound of it.

Look fwd to more info when available.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Hum that sounds interesting Hk was supposed to be working on a 1911 but was put on the back burner wonder if this will be result

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's more

P95Carry said:
That will be more than a little interesting, by sound of it.

Look fwd to more info when available.
According to my source today, there are folks who are already testing it and those tests have been posted on some other gun forums but I don't know which ones. Maybe some of our members who sometimes hit the other places could check?:yup:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Larry Vickers is the gunsmith HK bought to help with this project. They (HK) didn't have the final design done in time for SHOT - but they have had a number of working prototypes out for a few months now as "beta" units.

The controls will be VERY familiar to any 1911 user - and it will hold 10 rounds in a wider than single column magazine - but as stated above - it is not a double stack mag - so the grip circumference will not feel like a 2x6.

The only complaints I have heard is that the trigger feels more like a USP than it does a 1911 - but all else has been nothing but praise.

The great news is that these guns will run - and run - and run - UNLIKE most 1911's. 1911's are the Harley Davidson's of the handgun world - they are THE gun to have - but you gotta put a lot of love and money into them. The HK45 will be "good to go" right from the box.

There are NO pictures at this time that are in the public domain of the current HK45.

Hope this helps,

cheers

tire iron

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I read somewhere that Vickers will safe queen all of his 1911's once this gun is out since he feels that confident about it.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tire Iron.... you DA man!

tire iron said:
Larry Vickers is the gunsmith HK bought to help with this project. They (HK) didn't have the final design done in time for SHOT - but they have had a number of working prototypes out for a few months now as "beta" units.

The controls will be VERY familiar to any 1911 user - and it will hold 10 rounds in a wider than single column magazine - but as stated above - it is not a double stack mag - so the grip circumference will not feel like a 2x6.

The only complaints I have heard is that the trigger feels more like a USP than it does a 1911 - but all else has been nothing but praise.

The great news is that these guns will run - and run - and run - UNLIKE most 1911's. 1911's are the Harley Davidson's of the handgun world - they are THE gun to have - but you gotta put a lot of love and money into them. The HK45 will be "good to go" right from the box.

There are NO pictures at this time that are in the public domain of the current HK45.

Hope this helps,

cheers

tire iron
GOD BLESS YOU....I was driving myself nuts because I KNEW the guy associated with H&K was also the name of a famous machinegun and also knew it wasn't "Browning!"

I can't wait for this thing to get to us. I love my USP full size 45, but it's just a tad too big for my hands to acquire a proper "crush grip" in competition. It's also too big for a comfortable IWB where my 1911's are not.

So I carry the USP OWB and sometimes as today, I took my wife and our newfie pups to Key West because it was so uncharactically cool and breezy. But that's sorta "Indian country" so I carried my Sig P245 OWB under a 2X 5*11 short sleeve worn over a t-shirt. It was perfect. :danceban: :image035:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Sounds like a gun I'd be real interested in. I love 1911's but either find them too pricey and sensitive or I just don't like the less expensive ones.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
For years HK had eluded they were going to manufacture a 10 round magazine for the USPc45. HK claimed that it too was in a pre-production stage. It never happened.

Let's wait and see if HK-history repeates itself.

·
Super Moderator
22,006 Posts
I though Vickers & HK parted ways several years ago?

·
Registered
66 Posts
This handgun is/will come to pass - it was/is developed for the "new" US Mil Handgun trials. The new handgun MUST be in .45 ACP - it MUST have an external thumb safety - and it MUST have a 10 round magazine.

Larry Vickers is the ONLY member of the American Pistolsmith Guild that is also ACTIVE DUTY military. He is THE gunsmith for a very high speed US Army unit that the Army says doesn't exist. BUT - he is not a total 1911 guy either - as he spearheaded the effort to allow US SpecOps personnel to be able to carry Glock handguns too.

USSOCOM will be the unit that does all the testing - with "input" from all the other branches of service.

These "trials" are going to bring alot of really cool .45 ACP handguns to the market - as some real shooters will finally pick the winner.

EVERYbody - from HK to S&W to Glock to REMINGTON (yes - Remington) and many other are submitting handguns for this - as the winner will have a HUGE marketing "coup".

It will be interesting.

cheers

tire iron

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am not sure of the "current" state of affairs with LV and HK as the design is all but done - but he was HEAVILY involved in the project.

cheers

tire iron

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
Seems to me that the weapon we're talking about might be the
HK P3000 Series...........if so, I've seen the pix, The gun looks like a USP, with some frame and grip refinements..

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
hope it comes to pass. any more info? Polymer frame? I want 1 if they are up to HK's usual standards.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I second Rocky - if these are built to the standards of other HK, then I'm very interested (though I will not be giving my old 1911s safe queen status.... well, maybe not all of them at least).
Tire Iron - I have never before heard the analogy about 1911s and Harleys - guess I need to get out more - but as I've ridden Harleys since 1981, you're right. Great bikes and great guns but they sure do need some tinkering. At least mine have.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
OK, so the USP is based on the same action and operation as the 1911. Now HK is basically making a USP that feels like a 1911. So it essentially a 1911 with different trigger modes, considered sacreligious to old school 1911 owners since the 1911's trigger is perfect, with HK stamped on the side. Sorry not impressed.

·
Registered
66 Posts
CLASS3NH,

It is NOT the P3000. There are some pics of an earilier gen of the HK45 - but there are NO pics of the current HK45. You are right - it still looks like an HK though - so please don't think this HK will look like a 1911 - cause it won't.

rocky,

Polymer frame - CHECK!

DavidIII,
Stay tuned!

freakshow10mm,
The USP is NOT based on the same action and operation as the 1911. It uses a "modified" Browning lock-up - like dang near EVERY semi-auto uses - but that is the only similarity to the 1911. It is entirely "OK" to not be impressed. The great thing about this country is choice.

cheers

tire iron

·
Registered
791 Posts
I'm just waiting until 1 April and the "April Fools" post about this! :sasmokin:

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
tire iron, will the slide be as thick or wide as the current USP? For the life of me I can't quite manage to IWB my USP....too clunky.

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
tire iron said:
CLASS3NH,

It is NOT the P3000. There are some pics of an earilier gen of the HK45 - but there are NO pics of the current HK45. You are right - it still looks like an HK though - so please don't think this HK will look like a 1911 - cause it won't.

cheers

tire iron
Heyyyyyyy good thing you have the skinny on this thing........I'll be lookin forward to seeing one.. The Buyer and a couple of key sales people at the Store have not mentioned it yet.......
Guess I'll stay tuned like the rest of us here:biggrin2:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts