Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a history guy and I was just curious..........

When did this forum start? Who started it? Who were the orginal members?

Thanks for the best gun board on the web!:yup:

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Bumper started it all in early to mid-2004.

The big influx of members occurred in mid to late December of 2004. That's when Bumper passed out some cards and there were cross posts in other gun forums, which is how I found the site.

There are a few members who joined before the big influx who still visit the site. Bumper can probably tell you who the first members were.

-Scott-

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
Not an original member but I have been here a while. Still the nicest, best site on the web for gun info.:hand10:

·
Administrator
144,135 Posts
The original Moderators became Moderators after we started out as Beta Testers.

We were the dumb chumps that volunteered to test for glitches when Bumper switched CombatCarry.com over to vBulletin.

Then Bumper asked us if we would consider being Moderators.

When we all steadfastly refused...he then offered us a phenomenal amount of money in a feeble attempt to get us to change our minds.

It was only after we still told him: "No Freakin' Way!" that he said he threatened to shoot us all in the kneecaps
....and so here we are. :rofl:

·
Premium Member
20,035 Posts
Yup, mid-2004 was about right. I started it before the Presidential election and, in the early days, it was really more of a group of about 8 people that checked in, told jokes, talked about guns and politics. It's focus was supposed to be concealed carry, but wound up mostly military, law enforcement and general firearm posting. It had a much different "feel" to it. It was originally an XMB forum, with a black background and pretty cheesey graphics. When we started getting new members alot of the early members started to leave the forum. Inevitable I guess, but regretable. When we moved to the vBulletin software and became more focused, I tried to steer us away from politics and it started evolving. I credit Betty with keeping me focused in the first few months when I was trying different things.

When we were discovered, over the Christmas holidays in 2004, we grew to several hundred members and I started thinking Moderators were needed to help me keep on top of things. The input from the moderators has really influenced how we have evolved over the past year or so, while remaining focused on concealed carry.

We have almost doubled in size in the last year to over 3000 members and expect we double again over the next year.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
...and so we now know a little bit more about our favorite website....and knowing is only half the battle.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
This thread is reminding me that we haven't heard from APachon, who was a mod here for quite a while until involved in an automobile accident. Has anyone been in touch with him? :confused:

·
Administrator
144,135 Posts
Apachon ~ I Miss The Guy.

Great Human Being. :usflag:
The last I heard he was having a pretty tough recovery & rehabilitation.
I sure hope that he decides to come back some day.

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
I wonder if Bob (acparmed) has any further news on Andy - I had thought and hoped he might be able to come back again, tho seems like his recovery was very prolongued.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
No, unfortunately I haven't heard anything from Andy in quite some time. I will try to land line him and see how he's doing.

Well, I just did that and got his voice mail. I told him to either give me a call or get on the website and let us know how he is doing.

·
Premium Member
20,035 Posts
Team American said:
This thread is reminding me that we haven't heard from APachon, who was a mod here for quite a while until involved in an automobile accident. Has anyone been in touch with him? :confused:
I have really been wondering about Andy alot lately and miss him being here, too. We are holding his slot here for him if and when he comes back. I certainly hope he does. He's a good guy.... :hand10:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Thanks for the historical background on this site - but a bigger THANKS for creating and (hats off) to the Mods. What a great site and a great bunch of folks!!! :congrats:
Keep up the great work!!

·
Super Moderator
25,603 Posts
QKShooter said:
The original Moderators became Moderators after we started out as Beta Testers.

We were the dumb chumps that volunteered to test for glitches when Bumper switched CombatCarry.com over to vBulletin.

Then Bumper asked us if we would consider being Moderators.

When we all steadfastly refused...he then offered us a phenomenal amount of money in a feeble attempt to get us to change our minds.

It was only after we still told him: "No Freakin' Way!" that he said he threatened to shoot us all in the kneecaps
....and so here we are. :rofl:
Yea, that's the way I remember it! :rofl:

I think if you go to the members page you can see when folks actually joined up by date it you click in the date column header.

·
Registered
10,806 Posts
I have been trying to decide where to post this and this looks like the place. Over the past several months as I have posted and read here I got the feeling that CC was a place I already knew about. Sort of like Yogi Berra's famous remark about deja vu all over again.:biggrin2: . It took a few days, but I finally found what I believe made this place so familiar. I am a science fiction fan and a few months ago I reread Spider Robinson's stories about Callahan's Crosstime bar. The comment that is often repeated in Callahan's is that it is a place where "pain shared is lessened and joy shared is increased." It seems to me that statement pretty much describes CC. Here is a discussion about the history of the forum and someone brings up a member that hasn't been heard from in a while and suddenly there is a great deal of concern. One member calls and others say that they plan to get in touch. Even without all the great info on firearms and concealed carry CC would be a great forum because of the attitude that the membership displays.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.