Defensive Carry banner

361 - 380 of 497 Posts

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
We have had Jimbo just over a year now. When we got him out of the woods he was skinny, sickly and weighed 65 pounds at a year old.

I woke him for this pic, he’s 95 pounds now and wow he’s smart! Have never lived with a dog this smart. He has made a wonderful family member and protection, also, I’ve never seen a dog this happy! The dog smiles in his sleep, he’s always happy!

We love Jimbo! 💕

283EAEAD-667A-491B-AB4D-8BC1111AFBA7.jpeg B3578490-2952-46CD-B259-53C18466CB8D.jpeg

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
About 2 months ago a stray showed up in our neighborhood, skin and bones stumbling about looked like he was on his last leg hips and rib cage protruding and looking confused. Set out some food/water and left him to it, this goes on for about a week all the while he is following all the different folks who walk the subdivision in the evenings. So he never leaves the subdivision as it turns out 4 or 5 of us are putting out food/water for him and he is starting to look a bit healthier but he wont let anyone catch him but still following all the walkers in the evening. Another week or so and I notice that he has a huge aversion to men but will now let the women folk come closer so I figured he must have had a bad time with a dude at some point. Third week same thing everyone feeding him and looking healthier and now he is letting my sister in law and wife to pet him but just barely and if he sees a man off he goes. Now Halloween is in a week and everyone is worried because we have a very very big turnout every year and we know it's going to freak him out and he will probably run off and get lost. I talk to the neighbors and tell them I'm going to catch "Jack" but I need y'all to stop feeding him so he only comes to my place and they agree because everyone has gotten fond of him. Three days later I get my sister in law involved and she walks about 2 miles around the subdivision with Jack following then my wife takes over for another good to 3 miles and he just cant help but follow along. On top off this he had already done his usual rounds following the other neighbors so by now he is tuckered out thirsty and hungry. Put out a bucket of water he comes over and the wife slips a collar on him shows him some bologna and he follows her thru the gate into the backyard and I close the gate. Been about a month and he now let's me pet him and rub his ears but quick movements and unexpected noises still freak him out. Last week he finally came into the house and has been making great progress.

Jack about a month after he got to the subdivision still roaming the neighborhood Screenshot_20190929-181948_Nextdoor.jpg
Jack hanging out in the backyard Resized952019102495154445954018.jpg
Resized_20191024_154412(0)_2046.jpg
Jack sleeping inside the house 20191108_192653.jpg
Nightly walk with his buddy Hannibal my other big dog. 20191022_192009.jpg
My little sister was going to take him but he is still very skittish so we decided it was best for him to stay with us. Didnt need or want another dog as he makes four but he is ours now and I got no problem with that. He is still putting on weight and growing so I'm thinking he is between one and two years old as he still exhibits a lot of puppy traits and by looking at him he appears to be some type of akita mix. Hopefully he won't be ridiculously large when full grown.

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
I assume you took him to the Vet to see if he is chipped? My grand daughter rescues and they have a Vet that volunteers his time and chips all the rescue animals for free.

Excellent work in any event. :image035:

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I assume you took him to the Vet to see if he is chipped? My grand daughter rescues and they have a Vet that volunteers his time and chips all the rescue animals for free.

Excellent work in any event. :image035:
Nope we havent gotten to the get in the car stage just yet. Hopefully by the end of next week he will be that far along I'm taking it slow with him I cant even raise my hand above my head without him cringing. He is making super progress but I dont want to rush him.

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
image.jpeg

This is Stella. Got her from a local shelter in '06. She was about a year old then and now 14ish. This pic was taken in March this year. She's having a little trouble getting the rear wheels moving now, but doing pretty well all in all.

View attachment 307140

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
This is Stella. Got her from a local shelter in '06. She was about a year old then and now 14ish. This pic was taken in March this year. She's having a little trouble getting the rear wheels moving now, but doing pretty well all in all.
View attachment 307140
When our lab was older we used Dasuquin and it made a world of difference with her moving, within a week she was moving much better! We lost her last year. Our new dog Jimbo is already showing signs of leg problems and we’re not sure if something happened to him when he was a puppy...or, he’s just fat?! Anyway, this stuff works great! Best prices I’ve found are at chewy.com, check them and eBay!

269AC618-75DD-4ABB-83AB-F8270EDC8EC3.jpeg

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
@Rabbit212; Good on you and your family for saving that pretty puppy! Almost looks like it has raccoon in it with those masked eyes! So happy for the pup, sounds like you and your family have a lot of love for dogs 😊

·
Registered
36 Posts
When our lab was older we used Dasuquin and it made a world of difference with her moving, within a week she was moving much better! We lost her last year. Our new dog Jimbo is already showing signs of leg problems and we’re not sure if something happened to him when he was a puppy...or, he’s just fat?! Anyway, this stuff works great! Best prices I’ve found are at chewy.com, check them and eBay!

View attachment 307154
Thank you. I'll check that out. She's a special dog to us.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
:smile:

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Another one I can recommend is Purina One Vibrant Maturity dog food. I have two dogs 12 and 9 years old and both were having some mobility problems with their rear legs/hips. My neighbor also has an older dog with similar problems and her vet recommended she try this food, and it made a noticeable difference with her dog. I was skeptical that a mere food change could make much difference but figured I had nothing to lose by trying it. And I could see that her dog seemed to be moving much better.

In a couple weeks I could see an improvement in my dogs, so I'm now a believer. I can't promise it would work for others but it's worth a try.

It also says on the bag that it promotes mental sharpness but I can't say my two dunderheads seem any smarter, so I wouldn't count on that. :haha:

·
Registered
36 Posts

View attachment 307154
Just a follow up. We've had her on the Dasuquin almost two weeks and there is a noticeable improvement in her moving around. She's still on the two-a-day regimen building up. Thanks again for the tip on this.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Newest addition in our household. This year we lost two, who SWMBO was really attached to.
This one, Spooky Bear, is a real lover at this point.

spooky.jpg

361 - 380 of 497 Posts