Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 469 Posts

·
Administrator
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
river2.jpg

With all the craziness in the world right now, I want to ask, how are YOU doing? It's time for us to come together because together there is nothing we cannot face. Are you doing okay? Are you anxious? Frustrated? Angry? Let's truly talk to each other. Ya wanna know why? It really is gonna be okay.

Initially, I was simply a bit concerned but I was cautiously optimistic. Yesterday though, I realized it was going into ANY store that was increasing my anxiety. The expressions on the older folks and young mama's faces as they searched for what they need was breaking my heart. The "shellshocked" faces seeing the empty aisles triggered my first actual fear.

It doesn't matter if it is a REAL fear. It matters that some of us are feeling it. How do I resolve that? I stop feeding the fear, by staying away from it all. I may not have everything that I WANT but I do have everything that I NEED.

This is intended to be a serious discussion. It is not a place for politics and controversial discussion and fear-mongering. It's simply a place where we can come together and support each other.

·
Premium Member
3,954 Posts
The human condition has had a layer or two stripped away and I’m trying to remain conscious of this in my day to day. Though I’m working from home, I’m sensing a bit of hyper activity in clients and colleagues, as though we must show increased effectiveness in spite of this new, and temporary, world order. My morning ritual of re-entry to the world has a few more “oh, that’s right” epiphanies as I recall where I’d left off with life before falling asleep.

So like post-911, we need to give some added understanding to one another while simultaneously keeping a sharp eye for the unexpected. I would expect individual meltdowns to begin popping up in the grocery store lines, over toilet paper or Bean n Bacon soup. All in all, most folks will rise to the challenges of these strange times.

I need more coffee. Fortunately I always keep a deep supply of it. Take care folks.

·
Super Moderator
23,193 Posts
@Cricket: Thank You! :yup:

We've had one of our two grocery stores initiate "Senior Citizen Hour" for our multitude of seniors. The hour is immediately when they open, when the store is at it's cleanest, as well as freshly stocked. That has helped a lot of our seniors reduce their stress and anxiety tremendously. Maine has initiated a complete shut down but for essential services and retail activity. Gatherings of more than 10 people are prohibited, all restaurants and bars are closed except for carryout, so commerce is slow. Movie theaters, schools, universities and all are closed.

We have a community FaceBook page and I am seeing a lot of voluntarism as well as sharing message there, which reminds me I am in a small community. Banks are closing lobbies, but keeping the drive-throughs open, so I'll probably hit an ATM to put some more cash in my wallet. :wave:

Personally, Nancy and I have a deeply stocked pantry, so all is well. We're good on the important stuff like dog and cat food. :smile:

I have a lot of friends in the medical fields. They are working inhumanly impossible jobs right now.

I also have relatives in Daegu, South Korea and a village near Paris France, so I get reports from other cities. Daegu is beginning to see the benefit of their hard self-imposed lock-down as they test more and people are loosening their self-imposed exiles in place.

This is a tool created by Johns Hopkins to track COVID-19. If ya'll are interested:

Johns Hopkins

·
Registered
662 Posts
In all honesty, I'm worried. I worry about humanity, my family, my friends, my job and my 401K. I worry that everyone I encounter is worried, angry and impatient. I worry for my friends and family that are health care professionals working their tails off and trying to stay positive and healthy. I worry that I'm exhibiting symptoms as I type this.

But I know that at the end of the day, God is truly in control. That at the end of the day, we'll get through this and be stronger for it.

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
To be honest the wife and I so far are in better shape than before.
Both still bringing home the same paycheck.
Gas prices are super low. No going out to eat or movies or shopping.
Guess the government is also planning on giving us a check or two.
The wife looked at me and said. NO.
I said no what? She said you can't spend it on guns.
I told her I think we are getting 2 checks how about you spend one on your things and I will spend the other for my stuff.
I think it would be a hoot to buy guns with the government's check, even though it is our money.
But it still would be satisfying to know that some of that money did come from liberal gun grabbers.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
As a baby boomer living in hurricane country I am 90% on wants and 99% on needs for a month. Could skimp by longer. Grocery stores still have supplies for needs, especially for those who can actually cook. Microwavable stuff is scarce here. The fear is real to those who feel it - mostly the younger generations who have lived a cushy life not having experienced any need to be self sufficient. If there is a silver lining in the cloud, maybe this is a wake up call for those who thought preppers are fruitcakes, and start laying back at least some things. Call it "prepper light" perhaps.

Appropriate to be concerned, but no reason to panic. This too shall pass.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
I have not been in a market since last Friday as our pantry has about a month's worth of food and our long term supply is a 3 month supply. I will probably go tomorrow morning as our markets here have established "senior hours." Other than that, I have not been to any place where people gather, although I did take a hike at a state park on Monday.

Right now, I am more concerned about my wife than anything else. She had to travel to California to attend to her 92 year old uncooperative mother who broke her femur. My wife is due to fly back on Sunday and I will be picking her up in Las Vegas.

The Tactical Conference we were due to attend in Dallas was cancelled but rescheduled for the same location next year. We plan on attending.

Am I scared? No, but I am concerned. I find the whole situation very sad and hope the world can turn this all around sooner than later. What I do find of great concern is that young people think this is not serious and are ignoring all pleas to "social distance." There have been a number of articles like this one.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/18/spring-breakers-grind-and-party-on-booze-cruise-despite-coronavirus-pandemic/?utm_source=knewz

·
Administrator
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes sir. Dollar General has dedicated the first hour of the day to us seasoned folk. I would never have believed that that chain of stores would impress favorably, but that was a pretty cool move.

ETA......Cricket, how are YOU?
I am 58.

·
Registered
96 Posts
A little frustrated, a little amused, a little worried. Family is still well, my 88-year-old Dad is doing well, I still have a job, I can work remotely, I still have my heath for the most part, gas is cheaper. I just hope stores will restock before I start running out of things. That's the biggest fear I have right now.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Doing pretty well overall here! I'm teleworking from home full-time as of today so that's new, but I'm grateful that I have a flexible enough job that it's a possibility. My wife works Mon-Fri so that means this pandemic will actually mean more time together as a family. Looking forward to that. (Ask me again when we've all been cooped up in the house together for several days. lol) My wife works as a mental health therapist and she has seen an uptick in people looking for counseling and the clients she has are definitely more stressed than usual. No matter what one thinks about the seriousness of this pandemic, the fact is that the increased stress and anxiety is very real for a lot of folks.

My biggest worry right now is my dad. He has been in and out of the hospital since Christmas day and the doctor's can't seem to pinpoint exactly what is going on. In his compromised state of health, COVID is just one more thing that he can't afford to contract right now. Just trying to "pray without ceasing" and remember God is in control.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
What am I doing? I splurged and bought 5 boxes of ammo and pushed ahead on purchasing a +2 magguts for my pistol. I also put in some range time.

What am I NOT doing? 'Full' hours at work. Buying maintenance materials, except security and safety items. Panicking. Nonessential shopping.

·
Registered
33,868 Posts
My non-hoarding, non-EOTWAWKI supply of TP is running low. The empty shelves at the stores reinforces my belief that, in general, people are idiots easily led around by the nose. We all will be either very angry at being misled by the doom & gloom predictions or very happy to still be alive when this blows over.

But in a year no one will remember it.

·
Premium Member
3,954 Posts
My non-hoarding, non-EOTWAWKI supply of TP is running low. The empty shelves at the stores reinforces my belief that, in general, people are idiots easily led around by the nose. We all will be either very angry at being misled by the doom & gloom predictions or very happy to still be alive when this blows over.

But in a year no one will remember it.
If your shower still works, this too shall pass.

1 - 20 of 469 Posts