Defensive Carry banner

301 - 320 of 469 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I asked for a tactical hazmat suit. The look on my Department Managers face, my boss's boss, was priceless. I was told we didn't have the money for them.

No, I don't think I need one, I just want one. We were asked if we needed anything in our weekly meeting, and that was what I could think of.

·
Premium Member
33,760 Posts
My best to them. How severe are their symptoms? I hope they recover quickly.
They are both self-quarantining at home. Cough, lung-inflammation and very low-energy. I'll be dropping some stuff off on their porch this weekend.

·
Premium Member
33,760 Posts
My best to them. Hope they recover soon.
Thanks. As with most places, it is going to get much worse around here before it gets any better.

·
Registered
16,069 Posts
Out of my county's 16 cases we have one case they are calling "community exposure". In other words he was not exposed to a another person with the virus and did not travel and get it.
So my guess is we are going to start seeing an uptick.

I wish they would give the details of the person's lifestyle. Was he a factory worker? Did he practice social distancing? Did he eat a lot of take-out, get a lot of packages, go to the grocery store often?
It would be nice to receive some details so we know what might be working and what might not be.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Perhaps what concerns me in the wee hours of the night is this thought...

Should Trump fall to the virus Nancy becomes VP. Worse, should a Trump and Pence both go down or be declared unable to serve Nancy becomes President. This is the stuff of nightmares.

·
Registered
16,069 Posts
...that he knows of. Since a lot of people are carriers but have no symptoms, he probably was exposed to one of them.

Correct. I should have stuck the words known or diagnosed in there somewhere to drive my point better. I was hoping to infer that the other 15 people had been exposed to people diagnosed with the virus.

·
Registered
417 Posts
...that he knows of. Since a lot of people are carriers but have no symptoms, he probably was exposed to one of them.
The above statement was always something on my mind.

I was just put on a work stoppage for 30 days yesterday.

For my wife and I it's a double edged sword.

If I'm working and getting paid, I'm exposed to people and the people they have been in contact with. I could potentially bring the virus home and expose my wife to it. She is an at risk person with some health issues.

If I'm off work, sheltering at home. Much less chance of exposure to the virus. Better for us health wise.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I have it the opposite of most people.
For one, being a truck driver that hauls food my work is deemed "essential". The flip side is that our main customers supply restaurants, so we are starting to slow down. We are branching out to keep the wheels turning. But I heard yesterday that there may be some furloughs coming. More on this in a bit.
My Wife is LEO so she is occupationally safe, but there is the health hazard. We are both very aware of this as we have both worked in a hospital before.
Because of how I pay bills, we are many months ahead of any due dates. Paid off Wifes truck last week.
We also are fine on food and household goods for the foreseeable future.
Back to my work. When I transferred to the new facility I became 4th in seniority of 95 drivers, so my job is secure. But other newer and younger drivers are beginning to struggle as we start getting creative to keep them rolling ("if the wheels ain't turnin', I ain't earnin'").
So I told them "if it helps, I'm willing to stay home for a while". I believe there are programs to assist employers pay furloughed employees? Plus I have a LOT of vacation time banked.
Some time off now would be good so I could catch up on projects before it gets hot (rural AZ). I can do things at night in the summer, but work lights attract bugs. Lots and lots of bugs. No, more bugs than that.
I might get some "pre-retirement" experience.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
21,912 Posts
I have it the opposite of most people.
For one, being a truck driver that hauls food my work is deemed "essential". The flip side is that our main customers supply restaurants, so we are starting to slow down. We are branching out to keep the wheels turning. But I heard yesterday that there may be some furloughs coming. More on this in a bit.
My Wife is LEO so she is occupationally safe, but there is the health hazard. We are both very aware of this as we have both worked in a hospital before.
Because of how I pay bills, we are many months ahead of any due dates. Paid off Wifes truck last week.
We also are fine on food and household goods for the foreseeable future.
Back to my work. When I transferred to the new facility I became 4th in seniority of 95 drivers, so my job is secure. But other newer and younger drivers are beginning to struggle as we start getting creative to keep them rolling ("if the wheels ain't turnin', I ain't earnin'").
So I told them "if it helps, I'm willing to stay home for a while". I believe there are programs to assist employers pay furloughed employees? Plus I have a LOT of vacation time banked.
Some time off now would be good so I could catch up on projects before it gets hot (rural AZ). I can do things at night in the summer, but work lights attract bugs. Lots and lots of bugs. No, more bugs than that.
I might get some "pre-retirement" experience.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
God look out after you both, thanks for what you do.

·
Registered
16,069 Posts
Well, the cat's out of the bag.
The community exposure case is in my immediate area. She taught at the university in town and shopped at the same stores. She must have contacted the local paper herself, as they were quoting her and had a picture.
Here's a link. Sometimes they will block you and sometimes they won't.
https://www.goerie.com/news/20200402/erie-county-covid-19-patient-ive-never-been-this-sick

Here's an excerpt showing she was taking precautions.

Even before Reed Hurst began feeling sick she was taking precautions to avoid contracting the virus. She wore rubber gloves during a shopping trip and intentionally avoided using a shopping cart and taking her purse into the store.

“I didn’t have any symptoms at that point,” she said. “I felt fine. Anna felt fine. When we got back to the car, we took our gloves off and hand-sanitized immediately. We were both very cautious.”

Naturally, Reed Hurst wonders how and from where or whom she contracted COVID-19. She hasn’t taken any trips out of the state and the last time she was in a classroom was March 13, a week before the onset of symptoms.

“It is a little bit scary,” she said. “It’s in the community. That’s the only thing I can think of. It could have been at (a store). Maybe it was in the air. Maybe somebody coughed. I don’t know.”

·
Registered
33,912 Posts
Today's project was ripping up the indoor/outdoor carpeting on the patio. After 26 years it had collected enough dirt to fill a moon crater. Keep that in mind if you're considering using indoor/outdoor carpeting--it's tough to keep clean. With a little assistance from The Boss in rolling and tying up the strips, it didn't take too long. Tomorrow I may power wash the patio to wash away what dirt the broom missed, but I'm pooped for the day.

·
Registered
33,912 Posts
I have found that walking at 11:30-12:00 at night is a great time to be out. Very quiet and peaceful. Surprisingly, not one dog has barked. A few folks have their motion detectors set to detect way too far out in the street though.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I saw on the news early this morning that I'm in one of the states that they're predicting cases to spike. It was nuts at Walmart when they announced the national emergency, but since they announced this about our state I can only imagine how many more people are going to be at the store now. Are there any websites you'd recommend buying food off of that ship to your house?

301 - 320 of 469 Posts