Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 469 Posts

·
Registered
34,055 Posts

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
We are semi-retired and making ends meet. We have a lot of income producing investments we converted from 401k's. They are taking a big hit, but we are not solely dependent on them and I know they will come back up once this is over. Our days are really not that much different than they were before the crisis. Differences:
  • We have all our groceries and other stuff delivered. We unload deliveries in the garage, put the outside packaging right in the outside trash cans and wash our hands after.
  • My wife doesn't have to babysit the grandkids, because my daughter works for the state and they have put her on work-at-home.
  • I am getting some home projects done.
  • We are watching the news and a lot of TV.
  • Our hot yoga studio is closed, but they are doing online classes and we also have CDs of the instructor's audio, so we can workout on our own.
  • I got my home boxing gym cleared out and I am going to start hittin' the bags again.
  • I am riding my bike, which doesn't put me near people.
  • I am going to set up some home target practice. I have a Webley pellet pistol and a Gamo pellet rifle I haven't shot in years, as well as a pellet trap/target holder. I am also going to do some "pencil technique" work with my 1911 and some drawing and dry firing practice with all my guns. I am also going to do couple of simple mods on my HD shotgun.
  • I am practicing for my band. I play the mandolin and tenor banjo in a mid-1800's period band that does Steven Foster-type tunes. We have had to put practices on hold. We have a county fair gig in early May. Hopefully that will happen.
  • My wife is doing a lot of reading and helping me with the home projects.
  • Health-wise we are great at the moment. No problems at all. All our doctor's appointments have been cancelled, but there was nothing scheduled that can't wait.
So overall, I am getting more done than when we were going out all the time. We are both introverts, so being home doesn't bother us.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Fortunately we are retired and have always been low key preppers. We don't eat out much and we never eat fast food due to my mandatory no sodium heart healthy diet. The past few days I have been working on getting my generator transfer switch wired into the house. (I was planning on doing that anyway prior to hurricane season.) As of this week our Church went online only for all their services and events. Our annual FOP State Conference was supposed to be next week in Gadsen however it has been postponed until further notice. Our local Emergency Department waiting room is for Corona virus patients only all others have to wait in the Cardiac Unit waiting room. I pray that this virus can be contained, people healed, and everyone can get back to their normal routines!

·
Super Moderator
23,244 Posts
PSA:

Health Insurance companies have reduced the prohibitions on premature/early prescription refills.

Pharmacies are starting to get overwhelmed.

·
Premium Member
7,378 Posts
Working from home. I can't work with people I supervise directly, so that requires a bit of an adjustment. Both otherwise my work is unimpeded.

My kids are doing distance learning - essentially videoconferencing classes. Seems to be going fine.

I am concerned for all the people who are taking an income hit now - restaurant employees, retail employees, etc. Hopefully they land on their feet quickly after all this passes.

·
Premium Member
817 Posts
Me and Dad are hanging in there. We should be fine on supplies, at least for a while. I'm just keeping up with the news, and hoping things stay as even-keeled as possible. This is very new to all of us so it's not surprising there will be feelings of uncertainty in all of us. While I'm definitely concerned, I just can't live in a state of constant worry and stress. It's too exhausting.

Also, started some spring cleaning in the house, because I'm already burned out on streaming movies/TV shows. And I'll be playing the guitar a lot. Lots and lots and lots :yup:

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
My employer put all of us on remote work as of a week ago. Considering so much of our business is based on relationships, this has been a trying time. My customers have also put their people on remote work as well. My employer has not furloughed any people or missed a payroll. However, it has changed our working dynamic. At home, my wife and I are in the house most of the day. We have gone on walks in the neighborhood and stop to chat with our friends. Humans, are social animals and being in hibernation is taking some adjustment. We have enough TP for now, we're recycling OV's Xmas cards. Once a day, we take a drive to for anything we need and to see what is happening around us. The empty restaurants, move theaters, fitness centers / gyms, and stores is heart breaking considering that many of these businesses are still recovering from Hurricane Harvey.

The most disconcerting thing is the mixed information on when this will end. Will it end next month, this summer, next year? My 401K has lost so much value that I will have to work at least 10 years past my death to recover.

·
Super Moderator
50,574 Posts
Not much has changed for this household, people who have criticized 'preppers' are pretty quiet now. Out at the farm, with tons of wood, solar panels, ammo, and extra hands...we could manage for many years without leaving the place.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
We are doing well....actually enjoying ourselves.

We started dieting about 3 weeks ago before the panic buying set in, so we are already use to eating more frugal and sensible than before which has the effect of better health, weight loss, and conservation of existing supplies.
Food storage is enough to to get us by for a couple of months at this rate, and water is plentiful.

Not driving anywhere has cut out gas expenses, so overall we are spending less and saving more.

We now have 2 garden plots ready for planting, and are looking forward to getting seeds in the ground. The chickens are keeping us supplied with plenty of eggs:)

Toilet paper; since we have a septic system, we are already in the habit of not using more than we have to, so we have enough TP to last a month, but on the other side, the leaves will be coming out soon to give an abundance of softer, stronger leaves then I would use during deer season, lol.

I guess we have no real complaints or issues, although we are concerned for elderly parents and other people in general.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I'm playing Madden20 right now! We're good my brother, thanks for asking! :vs_cool:

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I personally am both amused and disgusted by the way people are acting. I'm also not suprised.
Wife and I worked in a hospital for many years and can deal with the prevention & treating aspects.
Income, we're secure. Wife is LEO & I'm an OTR truck driver hauling food. My situational awareness is increased as is my potential response.
Food, we live rural/remote so the current "hiccup" isn't fazing us. Same with our neighbors.
Guns-n-ammo, same as the food.
Only thing I feel we're lacking is garden & livestock. Our occupations make that impractical.
Health, Wife just turned fift... 29 and in good health. I'm 61, had a heart attack 8 years ago. Have sniffles after hooking & inspecting a trailer yesterday in the rain.
So we're ok for the foreseeable future.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
I am worried not all Americans are doing their part to keep us older Americans safe. I look at disgust at the spring breakers congregating in mass numbers at the beaches, likely infecting each other and won't know it until they get home, get sick, and infect others. When asked, some have expressed disdain for the criticism of their refusal to stay at home and observe social distancing, and among themselves refer to the virus as the "boomer remover".

Personally, my family is healthy even though my wife is in the very high risk category. We have plenty of food and no need to get out and about. And with more and more places shutting down there's really no place to go except for maybe a run through a drive through or quick grocery stop for perishable food (milk, fruit, bread, vegetables).

But what worries me most is my daughter is an ICU nurse at one of the major hospitals here. She has been on medical leave for three months but is supposed to go back on the clock probably about the time the admissions start to spike for the Wuhu Flu. I'm concerned despite knowing all the proper protocols she might inadvertently bring it home and infect my wife (and me).

My wife and I are fortunate to be retired and financially sound living off social security and my military retirement. If I had to dip into my retirement accounts right now I'd be extremely worried about them lasting as long as we might need the income. But since we don't have to take the minimum required distributions until 2026, we have plenty of time for the stock market to rebound.

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the best, I'd give us an 8.

·
Administrator
143,385 Posts
We are doing just fine here.
Basically hunkering in since all restaurants etc. are closed in my borough.
Food wise - we are better than good.

I'm getting the chance to do a bit more work on the old house.
Just bought some more Benzalkonium Chloride wipes on ebay.
Yesterday - mixed up a batch of 1/3 cup fresh Clorox to a gallon of water to be used as a surface wipe for canned goods and other items that we have had delivered.
That, due to the great amount of time that this virus can stay active on hard surfaces.

No panic at all here. Just judicious calm caution.

·
Super Moderator
25,503 Posts
Yes sir. Dollar General has dedicated the first hour of the day to us seasoned folk. I would never have believed that that chain of stores would impress favorably, but that was a pretty cool move.
Quite a few of the larger food chains have done that, but I wonder how many Seniors are going to drag out of bed at 5 AM to be at the store by 6 AM, since it's usually the first hour the store is opened. Also some Seniors have trouble driving in the dark and I think in most places it's still dark at that time. Guess it's the thought that counts.

(Well seasoned at 74! :rolleyes:)

·
Administrator
143,385 Posts
Great that food stores are doing that but, most of the store employees and cash register, baggers, etc are in their twenties.

So I would still be cautious if anybody is high risk.

Walmart- free delivery on orders over $35.000 & everything is delivered right to your door.

I don't know how things are with Walmart now because we placed a few massive orders a couple of weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
5,812 Posts
Not too worried about me and wife. We have plenty. Working from home and jobs aren't at risk. More concerned about the kids that aren't established yet and don't have much of a financial cushion. It feels like 9/11 and the banking collapse of 2008 all over again.

21 - 40 of 469 Posts