Defensive Carry banner

381 - 400 of 469 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,762 Posts
Friend of mine is a retired Lt. from NYPD. He says this emergency is much worse than 9/11 for NYC. 1/5th of NYPD is sick or needs to be quarantined. Hospitals overflowing. That didn't happen after 9/11.

·
Registered
33,912 Posts
Friend of mine is a retired Lt. from NYPD. He says this emergency is much worse than 9/11 for NYC. 1/5th of NYPD is sick or needs to be quarantined. Hospitals overflowing. That didn't happen after 9/11.
Rats in a confined society...

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Made the sugar cookies earlier today, for me :image035:

Made CWO a batch of Turtle Carmel Brownies that just came out, gosh the house smells great!

We’re good, everybody happy happy happy

:danceban:

Who knows, may go upstairs and make some guns and ammo like good little home alone kids :scratchchin:

·
Registered
33,912 Posts
Ummmmmmm... Sugar cookies.

Reactions: Sister

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Well a couple of weeks ago I was cut to 6 hours at work and took a 25% paycut, 7 others had their hours and pay cut to 0. Yesterday I found out the company I work for was approved for the payroll protection stimulus hand out dealio. I'm working full time now with full pay, and will recieve back pay. Good news I suppose but I was enjoying not having to be at work till 11.

·
Premium Member
3,933 Posts
That didn't happen after 9/11 because you either escaped or died...not many serious injuries.
I do feel especially bad for the first responders in NYC. It seems they can't catch a break.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
^^^^^^ I’m glad the PPP money is flowing and already having an impact!
Yep. I heard Friday that the company was working through the process but it could take 4-6 weeks. Sunday I got an text from our GM asking me to come in at regular time on Monday. My pay was cut and restored within our 2 week pay periods, so I won't even see a short deposit even though I've been working 32 hour weeks. Biggest benefit is if they maintain their current employment level they don't have to pay it back. I think the chances of another round of layoffs is pretty slim.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Disclaimer: Forgive me on parts of this. There are things in this that i don't bring up often, i don't talk about, because other than my wife, I don't exactly have anyone i can turn to, to talk about some of this. None of this is meant as a request for pity, help, or anything else. It is merely presented for honesty and explanation.

I feel for those effected more than I am. Those that are out of work, sick, or can't find what they need. My family and I are praying daily for those people so effected.

Me myself and I:

I'm stressed and worried. I'm stuck working from home. A boon? Not for me. I am a natural introvert. This has been reinforced by my time in the military. My 20 minute drive to work every day allowed me to step outside of myself, and bring out the extrovert in me, so I can be successful at work. For groceries, we are good. Stocked freezer, pantry, etc. And as stressed as I am, I fully expect my mom is more stressed than me. Monday, I got a text from her about my dad. I'll post it here.

My stress relief is usually a trip to the range. 150-300 rounds down range makes a huge difference. Unfortunately, I don't have the ammo for that, until things settle down some. I had been looking into reloading, and well...

(bear with me) 15 years ago, I fell off an aircraft. Imagine taking a 2x4 that's 6'2" tall, and weighing in at 165#, stand it on a chair, and then let it fall backwards to the floor. And there would be my head, with a thin piece of plastic and a 1/2" piece of foam, between it and the concrete. The VA says no damage. But... I have a lot of the symptoms of a TBI. One of the major ones I run into, which is why I ask for opinions and advice, is when faced with much more than 2 or 3 choices, almost paralyzes me with indecision. So, I do my best, and I wind up "going down the rabbit hole" researching, and still unable to make a decision, unless there is one that is so much above the other choices that it is an obvious choice. This happened to me when trying to decide which reloading press I should choose. So, I am still not reloading, and don't know when I will start, because this decision has been so difficult.

Again, please forgive me on some of this. Thanks.

Screenshot_20200414-230432_Messages.jpg

·
Super Moderator
23,217 Posts
@Workaholic

Your Mother needs some counseling and help. See if any support is available remotely. Your father probably does too. Same.

It sounds like they need some help too.

Tough decisions.

·
Registered
506 Posts
@Workaholic

Your Mother needs some counseling and help. See if any support is available remotely. Your father probably does too. Same.

It sounds like they need some help too.

Tough decisions.

@Rock and Glock
Help is something they do need. But they are a 16 hour (give or take) drive away. I'm in Kansas and they are at the southern tip of Texas, so all I can do is give moral support. I'll have to research, and see if I can't figure out some programs that may help. Dad turned 82 last month, and mom turns 80 this fall. They were snowbirds until their health caught up to them a couple years ago. So, they are living in their permanent 5th wheel, like most snowbirds, hence the reference of getting an apartment. I don't know how open they will be to counseling, but will try. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
23,217 Posts
@Rock and Glock
Help is something they do need. But they are a 16 hour (give or take) drive away. I'm in Kansas and they are at the southern tip of Texas, so all I can do is give moral support. I'll have to research, and see if I can't figure out some programs that may help. Dad turned 82 last month, and mom turns 80 this fall. They were snowbirds until their health caught up to them a couple years ago. So, they are living in their permanent 5th wheel, like most snowbirds, hence the reference of getting an apartment. I don't know how open they will be to counseling, but will try. Thank you.

@Workaholic

It could well be time to move them into an Assisted Living arrangement if possible. That could range from "independent" living to full scale nursing home living with gradations in between. Dependent on their financial wherewithal there are a lot of options. Start on the Texas web sight looking for "social" type help programs for the elderly ("eldercare social workers"). The "valley" is full of possibilities.

Here's a start: McAllen Agency on Aging

Here is more: Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services

And more: Texas Gov

If they are in "the valley" there will be many options.

Counseling may be nothing more than someone listening to your mother vent her frustrations, even over the phone. Something as simple as "Hey, Mom, I found this place that has some ideas to help - you need to call them" or the like. Or the same, if your Dad verbalizes anything to you. He may be more reticent to discuss anything.

Take baby steps - that will assure your Mom she is not losing control over the situation.

BTW, where ya at in Kansas?

·
Premium Member
3,933 Posts
Disclaimer: Forgive me on parts of this. There are things in this that i don't bring up often, i don't talk about, because other than my wife, I don't exactly have anyone i can turn to, to talk about some of this. None of this is meant as a request for pity, help, or anything else. It is merely presented for honesty and explanation.

I feel for those effected more than I am. Those that are out of work, sick, or can't find what they need. My family and I are praying daily for those people so effected.

Me myself and I:

I'm stressed and worried. I'm stuck working from home. A boon? Not for me. I am a natural introvert. This has been reinforced by my time in the military. My 20 minute drive to work every day allowed me to step outside of myself, and bring out the extrovert in me, so I can be successful at work. For groceries, we are good. Stocked freezer, pantry, etc. And as stressed as I am, I fully expect my mom is more stressed than me. Monday, I got a text from her about my dad. I'll post it here.

My stress relief is usually a trip to the range. 150-300 rounds down range makes a huge difference. Unfortunately, I don't have the ammo for that, until things settle down some. I had been looking into reloading, and well...

(bear with me) 15 years ago, I fell off an aircraft. Imagine taking a 2x4 that's 6'2" tall, and weighing in at 165#, stand it on a chair, and then let it fall backwards to the floor. And there would be my head, with a thin piece of plastic and a 1/2" piece of foam, between it and the concrete. The VA says no damage. But... I have a lot of the symptoms of a TBI. One of the major ones I run into, which is why I ask for opinions and advice, is when faced with much more than 2 or 3 choices, almost paralyzes me with indecision. So, I do my best, and I wind up "going down the rabbit hole" researching, and still unable to make a decision, unless there is one that is so much above the other choices that it is an obvious choice. This happened to me when trying to decide which reloading press I should choose. So, I am still not reloading, and don't know when I will start, because this decision has been so difficult.

Again, please forgive me on some of this. Thanks.

View attachment 322414
My heart goes out to you and your parents. Do they belong to a Parkinson's support group? I have a friend who's husband has Parkinson's and the group has been a lifesaver.

I'm so sorry they are both dealing with health problems.

Check with the local Senior Services, they may have a lot of resources to help. It's amazing what's out there but people just don't know it's available.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
@Workaholic. If their 5th wheel is road worthy is there any reason why you can’t bring them to Kansas and park them in a trailer park or your driveway?

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
It has helped coming back to the forum and there have been a few who have remembered me. When we were in another part of the country some years back a lot of things forced a move which we thought would be best for both of us but we had to struggle but it was a mistake as now the virus adds another fear factor for both of us. We are hampered with being old and the so called underlying health problems but yet we continue to carry on and have survived most everything thrown at us but my focus is my wife as she only has 36% of her lung capacity and I am the sole caretaker and the kids are dealing with there own struggles. The text we get and the calls that come from them are uplifting but we can't let them worry as it puts pressure on them but they know where we are there is minimal help but I tell them we have been stuck with each orther for 27yrs. As time goes on I have watched the increase in what I call roamers who are folks that seem to be in the wrong place yet trying to not be seen. I have noticed some car campers in the area and they move around the area but again its a sign of what has become the new normal. I want to say thanks as having this outlet gives me that platform where I see what is going on in different parts of the country and I can get laughs and info that is a nice reward to stay on point. God Bless you all and we hope you and your families stay safe and well, have a peaceful day.

·
Registered
60 Posts

This link was live video until a few minutes ago and was cut off when police arrived

IMG_1453.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

381 - 400 of 469 Posts