Defensive Carry banner

421 - 440 of 469 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,217 Posts
This is an interesting article as it has comparisons made with widgets that allow the reader to adjust 1) The rate of infection (the % contracting the virus) and 2) the Fatality Rate of the infected

Death Toll Projections

You can play with it and watch comparisons by age group to other causes of death

Yes, this is the NYT;

No, it doesn't blame everything on Bill Gates;

Yes, the inclusion of gun violence includes homicides and suicides; and

No, I haven't personally vetted all of the details and data and all of the experts but assume they have higher moral and ethical standards than Dr. Josef Mengele

·
Registered
60 Posts
This is an interesting article as it has comparisons made with widgets that allow the reader to adjust 1) The rate of infection (the % contracting the virus) and 2) the Fatality Rate of the infected
That is the core of the issue. No one really knows these numbers.

With US data being reported by 10’s of thousands of healthcare professionals in over 6,000 hospitals, in 19,000 cities in 50 states, do you really think it’s reasonable to expect any standardization on how the data is collected, recorded, reported and interpreted?
Multiply by 200 countries.
That’s why the numbers don’t make sense. Figures lie and liars figure.

The uniqueness of the article is the use of “mortgage calculator” technology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
23,217 Posts
^^^^^^^ That's why the CDC issued their guidance April 4, 2020. To attempt to standardize the coding and reporting. So the data might be more meaningful now and in the future.

·
Registered
33,912 Posts
The line to get into Home Depot (limited entry) was stretched around the corner of the building today. I needed a new bulb socket for a lamp I snagged out of someone's trash. It can wait until mid week. The drive through at Starbucks wrapped completely around its building. Had to pass on that too. Even the Sherwin Williams paint store had people coming and going. The liquor store was not busy, so I stopped there and snagged a bottle of pumpkin creme liquor ($7) and a bottle of rum.

·
Registered
60 Posts
^^^^^^^ That's why the CDC issued their guidance April 4, 2020. To attempt to standardize the coding and reporting. So the data might be more meaningful now and in the future.
Yes but a bit late in the process. And I doubt all the prior data was validated and cleansed.

·
Registered
7,846 Posts

·
Registered
7,846 Posts
The line to get into Home Depot (limited entry) was stretched around the corner of the building today. I needed a new bulb socket for a lamp I snagged out of someone's trash. It can wait until mid week. The drive through at Starbucks wrapped completely around its building. Had to pass on that too. Even the Sherwin Williams paint store had people coming and going. The liquor store was not busy, so I stopped there and snagged a bottle of pumpkin creme liquor ($7) and a bottle of rum.
The news has Made a big deal about Florida opening up all the beaches. I’m sure there will be a news story tomorrow when all these people are on ventilators, just like how all the people who went to spring break got COVID. Or maybe that was the one where almost nobody actually got sick and they stopped covering it. Can’t remember.

·
Registered
33,912 Posts
The news has Made a big deal about Florida opening up all the beaches. I’m sure there will be a news story tomorrow when all these people are on ventilators, just like how all the people who went to spring break got COVID. Or maybe that was the one where almost nobody actually got sick and they stopped covering it. Can’t remember.
Jacksonville is not "all" of Florida.

Reactions: msgt/ret and Havok

·
Registered
7,846 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Jacksonville is not "all" of Florida.
We live in Florida. Governor decided public area access is to be determined at the county level.
Our favorite beach is a National Wildlife Refuge with a single access point to 6 miles of shoreline with 150 feet of dunes and beach to the water. Parking lot holds about 80 cars. Even when the lot is full (in season) no group is near each other.
County will not open individual beaches. Will be all or none.

·
Premium Member
3,933 Posts
We live in Florida. Governor decided public area access is to be determined at the county level.
Our favorite beach is a National Wildlife Refuge with a single access point to 6 miles of shoreline with 150 feet of dunes and beach to the water. Parking lot holds about 80 cars. Even when the lot is full (in season) no group is near each other.
County will not open individual beaches. Will be all or none.
That sounds like the beach near Tarpon Springs.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
I learned years ago, during the various ammo 'crises' to make sure I had sufficient guns and ammo in the event of new crisis that could affect supply and demand. But with too much time this weekend I searched for the next gun on my wish list, a Remington V3 Tac 13. I held off buying since they came out because they were in limited supply and fetching premium prices, like 800-900 for a gun that had a list price of $920. I was not surprised to see them going for $1500 on Gunbroker.

So then I popped down to the next gun on my list, an AR pistol in 300AAC. I chuckled when I looked at the Palmetto Armory stock: complete guns where sold out but there were plenty of complete lowers and complete uppers. I guess the new gun owners have not figured out yet how to attach a lower to an upper:smile:

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Gov. Abbott is opening up parts of Texas starting today.
All State parks are now open. So I believe the beaches will be open also.
Family down on Galveston Island have been telling us past few weeks everyone who owns a boat has been out on the water. Never seen it so crowded.
He wants Texas to be one of the first states to open up.
Still wants to use the whole social distancing stuff but thinks we can do it and get most things back open except schools.

·
Registered
33,912 Posts
This so-called lockdown is something of a godsend. I've spent a lot of time on Youtube watching old '50s programing. I know many of you know who Lenny Bruce is, and I know of his reputation. But I have never actually seen one of his acts, So I watched one on The Steve Allen Show in 1959. The man was truly ahead of his time. His work is mild in comparison to the crap today's comics use, but it was great nonetheless.

·
Registered
863 Posts
This so-called lockdown is something of a godsend. I've spent a lot of time on Youtube watching old '50s programing. I know many of you know who Lenny Bruce is, and I know of his reputation. But I have never actually seen one of his acts, So I watched one on The Steve Allen Show in 1959. The man was truly ahead of his time. His work is mild in comparison to the crap today's comics use, but it was great nonetheless.

That guy was a brilliant comedian and one who saw things as ridiculous that which the uptight held precious. Maybe like a harder-edged, wound a little tighter, George Carlin. Aside from the drug use, he'd still be great today. My dad said only that he was a dirty comedian when I asked him about Bruce after seeing the Lenny movie with Dustin Hoffman when it came out. Thanks for putting that up, OV!

Reactions: OldVet

·
Registered
956 Posts
I believe it was this thread that I read a member post about owners of second homes on the Oregon Coast being vandalized. The post was around the time of spring break and if your reading this here is a link of interest for you and your friends owning coastal homes.
https://www.tillamookheadlightherald.com/news/three-arrested-for-involvement-in-home-invasion-robbery/article_44555eae-842a-11ea-965e-63ca5ae67253.html?fbclid=IwAR0v1qXnF0iiVBc_7ARoy9ZVGZW85cXrvBvaDGp2GMpGIM9y3DC4nbFn1PQ#utm_campaign=blox&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social
Evidence from other crimes committed locally was recovered at the house where the suspects were staying.

421 - 440 of 469 Posts