Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 469 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
I personally am both amused and disgusted by the way people are acting. I'm also not suprised.
Wife and I worked in a hospital for many years and can deal with the prevention & treating aspects.
Income, we're secure. Wife is LEO & I'm an OTR truck driver hauling food. My situational awareness is increased as is my potential response.
Food, we live rural/remote so the current "hiccup" isn't fazing us. Same with our neighbors.
Guns-n-ammo, same as the food.
Only thing I feel we're lacking is garden & livestock. Our occupations make that impractical.
Health, Wife just turned fift... 29 and in good health. I'm 61, had a heart attack 8 years ago. Have sniffles after hooking & inspecting a trailer yesterday in the rain.
So we're ok for the foreseeable future.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
You got a 29 year old wife.......:congrats:

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
We’re doing great and glad everyone else is :smile:

The both of us are feeling sorry for the folks in the nursing homes and thought maybe we’d rent a karaoke machine and do some 80’s sing along and hit all the nursing homes in the area we could this week while CWO is on Stay-Cation! Maybe I could get CWO to dress up like John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever, that would be fun!

We’re also playing Chess to sharpen our old minds and CWO has been working on guns. I’ve gotten some Spring cleaning done the past few days and have more to do.

The gardening needs to be done now since it’s not too hot and it’s nice to have CWO provide muscle in this Texas clay/mud as I grew up digging in sand!

If anyone in the area needs toilet paper we’ll spare a roll, our prepping abilities came together well.

God bless everyone ~ (Timmy)

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Water temp in the bays are still about 69 F when it hits about 73 F I will start dunking the crab traps. Until then crawfish are only $2.79 a lb already cooked:image035: Speckled Trout should start coming out of the bayous:biggrin2:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Misty Lu and I are conducting our lives as normally as possible since the MSM caused all the senseless hysteria and panic buying due to this Coronavirus disease... We are aggravated that our favorite restaurants are closed though.

This gentleman provides his rational perspective on the subject. And I agree with him:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Misty Lu and I are conducting our lives as normally as possible since the MSM caused all the senseless hysteria and panic buying due to this Coronavirus disease... We are aggravated that our favorite restaurants are closed though.

This gentleman provides his rational perspective on the subject. And I agree with him:

11 thousand now infected in America with 164 deaths. And its just getting started

·
Registered
Various
15,567 Posts
No big deal in our home. My wife and I are retired. We already keep about six to eight weeks of food, water, and supplies on hand in case of the overdue 9.0 earthquake they are predicting for the Oregon Coast or other natural disaster. We only average going out to a restaurant once per month. I probably have enough guns and ammo to last the rest of my life. I am usually awake around 5:00 to 6:00 so the early shopping is good. I arm up to go get toilet paper. From my cold dead hands.

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
I'm limiting my time when out and about. Even though I avoid restaurant dining rooms, it has been said that the packaging of take out or drivethru food can be contaminated for hours, if not days, I'm somewhat concerned. You can't spray the box with disinfectant. But I'm not going to live my life in fear but I'm going to try not to do anything reckless. I'm a home body anyway.

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I think this blows over mostly in the next month, maybe two , with plenty of short term economic damage. What a wakeup call. I tried keeping my 85yr old Dad home from the office but no such luck. He says he's healthy and good immunity :)

The gaslighting of this by media turning it into economic zombieland is totally insane, really anti-American treasonous. I'll for sure be ratcheting my future several notches to more conservative planning, prepping/financial etc... This has exposed how fragile our society really can be, and how close we really are to near catastrophic societal meltdowns. Part of me hopes we bounce back quickly to where we were before (so i can unload some illiquid luxury assets!) and the other part of me hopes people learn a big lesson in real life and self responsibility going forward. Meltdown or transformational? really lies in the timeline at this point, and we don't have a big window time buffer at this state of economic quake before major societal trouble and longer lasting economic hardship.

On top of this, my good friend that seemed perfectly healthy, was just diagnosed out of the blue, stage 4 lung cancer, spread all over, at age 40. Definitely been a crap week.

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
Great that food stores are doing that but, most of the store employees and cash register, baggers, etc are in their twenties.

So I would still be cautious if anybody is high risk.

Walmart- free delivery on orders over $35.000 & everything is delivered right to your door.

I don't know how things are with Walmart now because we placed a few massive orders a couple of weeks ago.
They can't deliver what they don't have. The essentials at the local stores are still depleted and you can't get most of the essentials from Amazon either. The local stores don't seem to be enforcing their purchase limits either.

This just in: https://www.foxbusiness.com/retail/amazon-halts-grocery-orders-to-restock-amid-surging-demand

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
As a baby boomer living in hurricane country I am 90% on wants and 99% on needs for a month. Could skimp by longer. Grocery stores still have supplies for needs, especially for those who can actually cook. Microwavable stuff is scarce here. The fear is real to those who feel it - mostly the younger generations who have lived a cushy life not having experienced any need to be self sufficient. If there is a silver lining in the cloud, maybe this is a wake up call for those who thought preppers are fruitcakes, and start laying back at least some things. Call it "prepper light" perhaps.

Appropriate to be concerned, but no reason to panic. This too shall pass.
Good observations and descriptions. And "prepper light"?, you succinctly describe many of us hereabouts.

·
Super Moderator
16,177 Posts
At 69 years old I have lost track of all the end of the world everyone’s going to die diseases that have come and gone, I don’t live in a major metropolitan area or use public transportation or frequent extremely crowded areas so I am pretty safe in that aspect. Haven’t seen much panic buying but doing some shopping the other day I was joking with the cashier that it was like a scavenger hunt in that I went to a few different stores in order to get what I needed. I do miss many of my favorite restaurants due to them being closed but I do cook so I am getting by in that aspect. Overall I have not changed my life by much and am just sitting back with a tall cool one and waiting for the current panic to blow over.

·
Registered
34,024 Posts
That one right there is memorable. Somebody ought to use it as a signature quote.
The dog doesn't like her using his space either.

·
Registered
131 Posts
They just announced that the public schools here are closed until May 4. Poor parents, but maybe some good news for the retired Grands. :smile:

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
All's well here; we're both 65 and retired. Income stream is a small PBGC pension and lots of dividends. All the kids should do okay, too.

Things haven't been THAT bad for THAT long. A lot of negative feelings come from contemplating the future. There's no end in sight, even though we all know this will end - and there's a high probability of a GOOD end. Once we see evidence of that (and I'll note now the progress of chloroquine and the vaccine testing) things will look - and we'll all feel - a lot better, even though we might not all be through the worst of it.

Hang in there. Positive mental attitude! :)

41 - 60 of 469 Posts