Defensive Carry banner

81 - 100 of 469 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,969 Posts
Right now I am busy being thankful. :vs_coffee:

• My family is safe today.
  • I work remotely.
  • Although I may not have everything I want, I do have everything I need (even bacon!) so it is a good day!
Want and need.....great points.

·
Registered
562 Posts
We're managing. My wife has been working from home for over 15 years, and in her field, I'd say her job is pretty secure. I'm twice retired, so I don't need to get 'out' other than to just get out and about. We're pretty well stocked, with food, paper products, and ammo (though that gov't check would come in handy for more ammo!). God has seen to it that we have all we need.

Our big immediate concern is being careful to not get exposed to anyone carrying the virus, as my mother-in-law has just started chemotherapy for a rare cancer (naso-pharyngeal) diagnosed at stage 3, and we are sharing transportation duties to Nashville with my brother-in-law. Our church has gone to online for Bible study, but currently still plans to hold worship service on site (we are a small church). My pastor knows our situation, and has already indicated that he would understand if we bow out of attending public worship for the time being.

Once we can get out from under all the rain we've had, I figure I can get some of the spring yard-work done. In the meantime, I have "just-in-case" sermons to prepare, books to read, and a paper to write for the ministers' group I attend.

@PAcanis ;I'll add you to my ever growing prayer list.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Wow, I know that is like a slap in the face with the cold hand of reality. You and the soon-to-be millions in the same condition are in our prayers each day.

·
Registered
178 Posts
View attachment 318208

With all the craziness in the world right now, I want to ask, how are YOU doing? It's time for us to come together because together there is nothing we cannot face. Are you doing okay? Are you anxious? Frustrated? Angry? Let's truly talk to each other. Ya wanna know why? It really is gonna be okay.

Initially, I was simply a bit concerned but I was cautiously optimistic. Yesterday though, I realized it was going into ANY store that was increasing my anxiety. The expressions on the older folks and young mama's faces as they searched for what they need was breaking my heart. The "shellshocked" faces seeing the empty aisles triggered my first actual fear.

It doesn't matter if it is a REAL fear. It matters that some of us are feeling it. How do I resolve that? I stop feeding the fear, by staying away from it all. I may not have everything that I WANT but I do have everything that I NEED.

This is intended to be a serious discussion. It is not a place for politics and controversial discussion and fear-mongering. It's simply a place where we can come together and support each other.
My thinking is changing in the last 12 hours and I'm going into a more high focus mode. No time for fear when one focuses on what needs to get done. Not idle chores and jobs but focus on home inventory, ration plans, protection plans, and states of vigilance. Think like your state of mind during a hurricane. Simply focus on what needs to get done.

Fear is a motivator for action. remembering that dispels moments of inaction.

Personally, I am learning/coding Formal application design and am building a couple of personal (hopefully for profit) websites. I'm also looking for work and am back hacking ATS systems to ensure my resume gets into the right hands. I also have 1000 rds of 9mm and 500 rds of .40 to setup and load. There is also a couple of 2011's to hand build perfectly.

There is a lot to do to keep busy. (to all, Plan on at least 14 days of being home bound [insider tip??])

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Of all the dang things, I can't buy eggs. Someone here called it. I didn't believe that could happen, but it did. I'll be working from home starting next week. At least I'm in no danger of losing hours, and wages like many are.

Now I just have to worry about the increased energy usage of all the extra computer equipment I have at home making it look like I am cooking meth. I'd prefer not to be visited by the local LEOs. Ok, so I am kidding on this last part, I don't use enough power to come close to a meth cooking operation.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
@ShooterGranny;

Friend I sure do hope you feel better!!! Gosh I’m worried bout you now, please keep in touch and let me know how your doing ok?

Regarding the nursing home....That was said tongue and cheek, thought folks would know it was said in jest when I said I was renting a microphone and that CWO was going to dress like John Travolta dancing to “Staying Alive” 😆.

We’re home, and other than CWO working some at the shipyards and a pharmacy trip we have no other places to go.

You feel better, if you need us to send anything send me an note via email ~ your important to us! (((Hug))) 💕

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
The wife and I are both in our 50s and in excellent health, so we are not too worried about all this. I am still working, but I work nights mostly by myself in a locked office, so social distancing is a normal way of life for me. We have lots of food and ammo put up, and we live out in the woods, so no worries for us.

I do worry about my parents and my in-laws. My parents are in their late 70s and my dad has COPD and my mom has asthma. Neither of them has been in very good health the last few years. Getting them to take this seriously has proven to be slightly difficult. They are stubborn folks. My in-laws are in their 80s, and they are also very stubborn folks. They are more concerned about the people they can get out and help than the are about protecting themselves. Commendable, but not very safe. We are praying for both sets of parents, and talking to them regularly, trying to get them to comply with all of the recommended safety protocols. Work in progress...

All of our local restaurants are closed for eat-in, but are all doing takeout. One of the best eatin' places around here is a food truck anyway, and they are still open. So we are still "eating out" on the weekends. We usually get takeout anyway, and go sit down by the water someplace to eat. No change there really, either.

Otherwise using the time while all the other 'errand' businesses are sidelined, to get some yard work and garage cleaning and home maintenance projects done. I think a lot of other folks have the same idea. I was in the hardware store the other day, and it was PACKED. Even lots of older folks in there. Lots of folks using their "lock-in" time productively, I guess...

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
My kids have always given me good-hearted ribbing about me always having an "overstocked" pantry & freezer. So, we're fairly well set to ride this pandemic out for 1-3 months. I believe that by next week, the panic buying will slow down a bit and Things like TP, milk, & eggs will be available again.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
I'm still working for now, but the furlough/lay-offs are coming. That'll suck, but I 'think' we're good-to-go for now.
Living in hurricane country, and the lessons of Katrina and the flood of 2016, have many of us ready for the immediate/initial situation.
Got plenty of ammo, hand sanitizer, and TP, and didn't have to participate in the 'rush' for any of it either. :tongue:

I already have Momma taken care of and told her to pass on to the other hens in the neighborhood to call me if they need something out in town or taken care of. Gotta look out for the neighbors and immediate community once you and yours are good and set up.

·
Premium Member
7,134 Posts
@Sister -- Sorry I didn't realize you were kidding about the karaoke thing - but you have such a tremendous sense of humor that EITHER it was a joke OR you would really get all gussied up and do the thing to make people laugh for a while!!!

Thank you for your concern. I'm getting better, slowly. Doing all the stuff you are supposed to do like head over bowl of steaming water with towel "tent" while sniffing eucalyptus oi; garlic/ginger/lemon/honey tea; extra vitamin C; etc. etc. and so forth. IF a virus "cold" lasts a week to 10 days, I've got a couple more days to go. IF this is actually bronchitis I might have to break down and call the doctor, but I'm hoping that is not the case. I can't take Rx antibiotics so not sure what a doctor could do for me anyway, and both garlic and ginger are natural antibiotics anyway when prepared right.

I had to miss my monthly massage again this month and that was very discouraging since I couldn't get there last month because the snow/sleet made driving too hazardous. My massage lady told me to stay home and get better and not go anywhere where there is even a slight possibility of being exposed to any more stuff. Staying home is my normal mode, so this is not a problem.

·
Registered
33,946 Posts
A double shot of Ancient Ancient Age 100-proof whiskey will cure anything--or so my dad swore. It didn't cure his cancer, but he didn't die of a cold either.

·
Super Moderator
23,224 Posts
11 thousand now infected in America with 164 deaths. And its just getting started
Exactly.

14,000 infected now and 205 deaths. One day later.

Folks, this is not a hoax. Please do not call it a hoax. It is a deadly novel coronavirus that is highly virulent with a statistically high death rate for the compromised, infirm and elderly, although the actual "real" death rate will not be know for quite awhile.

The media is creating a panic over this, unnecessarily. I will call this a MSM induced panic, but I will not call it a hoax. Hoax implies the the disease itself is a lie. It is not.

We did change up on shopping, as now we are shopping for our parents and bringing the groceries to them .
We are wiping off all grocery items with Clorox wipes in the garage before bringing them in. One of our friend's husband has compromised immunity. She sheds her clothing in the garage and immediately showers thereafter.

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts

·
Registered
16,069 Posts
I found it interesting that my neighbor left for work this morning, seeing as how his job is on the non-life-sustaining list that were ordered closed last night.
As in everything, some people are going to take this seriously and some aren't.

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
Its having a major impact on how I deal with patients at work, but aside from that, my personal life has been relatively unchanged.

·
Registered
33,946 Posts
I found it interesting that my neighbor left for work this morning, seeing as how his job is on the non-life-sustaining list that were ordered closed last night.
As in everything, some people are going to take this seriously and some aren't.
The garbage collector is a non-life-sustaining job too, but I'm still glad they showed up for work today. Next week? Who knows? Of course, I don't think the guy riding the back of the truck has to worry about people getting too close.

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
I know what some of our senators are doing to cope with the outbreak
Dumping their personal stocks.
These fine pillars of society used the information they had to get out before the bottom fell out to protect their millions.
Screw the little people.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dianne-feinstein-3-senate-colleagues-sold-off-stocks-before-coronavirus-crash-reports

Im not bothered by the sell off. If I paid a financial advisor to manage my investments, I am paying them to predict the future of the market. That being said, if that person told her that he was putting her money into the tech stocks, paypal, etc, and she used that to try to push policy that would increase the value of those stocks(which may or may not have happened), that would be a problem to me. I have bought stock in companies that I believe will make money from all of this and I know everyone elses goal is the same. That part alone is not an insider trading issue.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
I have been trying to get through to Orbitz to cancel a hotel room we booked back in December for Dallas next week. I did not buy trip insurance and the reservation was non-refundable. Called the hotel and they said they would issue the refund but it had to come from Orbitz. I spent over an hour on hold yesterday and after connecting with them was put on hold while the customer service person called the hotel. Unbeknownst to me, I was cut off but my phone did not disconnect. The Orbitz person called back while I was on the line (no ID on the number) and told me to "call back." This morning I tried at 0500 several times between 0500-0600 and would connect but the call dropped each time.

At 0645 I got in the car and drove downtown to the Smith's grocery store, a large chain here in the west. They have "senior hours" now on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 0700-0800. I arrived at 0700 and the parking lot was completely full with people driving around looking for a parking space. There was a line of probably 150 people waiting to get in and a police car parked at the door. Everything was orderly. There is nothing absolutely essential that we need, but almost all of our fresh items are dwindling.

Reactions: Rock and Glock
81 - 100 of 469 Posts