Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
8,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I always start timed draw and shoot drills in a "hands up" position unless I am practicing a pocket draw which is hand already on gun because a known potential threat is what I use pocket carry for.
I train fighting stance, arms app. shoulder height as if I were defending.

Have you ever compared hand on gun Vs. access to pocket carry, times?
I know you carry a primary AIWB for that, but I wonder how much longer it is to cold draw from pocket.

·
Super Moderator
20,267 Posts
Working alone recently, without benefit of this video I think I managed to create something similar. I used 3 USPSA metric targets, 2 were shoulder-to-shoulder, 3rd guy was 1 yard off to the side and back maybe a foot or two, angled slightly to face me. I set my timer to a random start from 3 to 6 seconds (I think). I started talking to my targets ("hey, I don't want any trouble," etc,) and then drew on the beep. On the beep the target directly in front of me got 1 shot, then 1 shot each on the other 2 before coming back to BG#1 and putting another shot in him. I'm sure if someone was watching me talk to the targets it might have seemed a bit odd, but it actually was a little distraction from just waiting for the beep. My one cheat was that I started with my hand on the holstered J frame in the front 5.11 pocket, but I don't think that was a huge cheat as I would probably assume that position if I was facing some "questionable" hombres.

My time to draw and get off 4 A-zone hits was in the range of 2.3 to 2.6 seconds.

·
Registered
8,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Working alone recently, without benefit of this video I think I managed to create something similar. I used 3 USPSA metric targets, 2 were shoulder-to-shoulder, 3rd guy was 1 yard off to the side and back maybe a foot or two, angled slightly to face me. I set my timer to a random start from 3 to 6 seconds (I think). I started talking to my targets ("hey, I don't want any trouble," etc,) and then drew on the beep. On the beep the target directly in front of me got 1 shot, then 1 shot each on the other 2 before coming back to BG#1 and putting another shot in him. I'm sure if someone was watching me talk to the targets it might have seemed a bit odd, but it actually was a little distraction from just waiting for the beep. My one cheat was that I started with my hand on the holstered J frame in the front 5.11 pocket, but I don't think that was a huge cheat as I would probably assume that position if I was facing some "questionable" hombres.

My time to draw and get off 4 A-zone hits was in the range of 2.3 to 2.6 seconds.
Nice. I love knowing folks are putting real effort into their fight work.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I use my shot timer with my hands down by my side & draw from concealment. I doubt my hands are going to be up in the air & if they are & somebody already has the drop on me that’s probably where they’ll stay. I’m usually in the 2 to 2.5 second range getting off an accurate head or CoM shot wearing winter clothes

·
Registered
8,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One-one thousand, two-two thousand, three-three thousand, four-four thousand, five- . . . well crap.
We keep telling you to keep a cap and ball ready, not to have to measure the powder from the horn... etc.

·
Registered
21,671 Posts
Engaging three targets with hand on pocket and drawing, moving and shooting, my time is .74 for the first shot, 1.17 for the second and for the third, 2.05 seconds, placing one hit on each target.

From the surrender position and drawing AIWB, my times on the same drill are 1.17 for the first shot, 1.73 for the second shot, and 2.93 on the third target as I’m making distance.

But both of those are with a light weight j frame.

I try to practice both ways, and carry two guns so that I can take advantage of drawing in whatever the situation allows me at the time.

Strong side with a 1911 from concealment, hands at sides at 10 yards, I am in the 1.4-1.8 range, depending on if I don’t flub defeating the cover garment.

·
Registered
21,671 Posts

I know you carry a primary AIWB for that, but I wonder how much longer it is to cold draw from pocket.
Cold from the pocket can be problematic. There is a very good chance of not getting the gun out in a reasonable amount of time.

One technique to help with that is to not try and get a firing grip on the gun, because that requires your entire hand to go in the pocket.
A better way is to pluck the gun out of the pocket with your index finger and thumb, then grab it before it comes all the way out.

However, the idea behind pocket carry is not to go diving for the gun in an emergency, but rather it’s used in conjunction with situational awareness as a preparatory action in anticipation of potential concerns.

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
When I get defensive with people, I do so with only my off hand. I had never really thought about this with the gun in mind. It just lets me already have one hand back to push, punch, or grab. I guess it also lets me start on my way to the gun! I have tried timing a cold draw from the pocket. Lets just say it is not a pretty number! About double what a hand on gun draw is and I'm not that fast at that. DR

·
Registered
12,290 Posts
We use a Pact shot timer. I normally start with my hands down at my side, move off the line of force and draw from concealment as I move and fire.

My wife starts with her pistol in her Maxpedition purse, slung over her shoulder. She moves as she unzips the purse, draws the pistol, and fires.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts

I have not timed an outside the pants pocket draw but, I have done a little practice and I was not very smooth at all. I am sure I could improve but, the idea of accessing a pocket carried gun when things are going sideways just seems like a poor system. In that case diving for cover or closing the distance for an H2H option might be a better choice. I have tried drawing a pocket gun during dynamic movement as well with poor results which is my main reason for having an AIWB option.
I really did not become a huge fan of pocket carry until I paired it with another AIWB. I had to do it as the only option when I was working in an NPE but, retirement cured that impediment.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I've never "timed my draw". The number is unimportant to me. My draw is as smooth and quick (or not) as it is.
I do practice drawing with wet hands, cold hands, something in my hand(s). With a bandaid on a finger (or 3). Numb fingers, when I'm tired, when just woke up. While sitting, laying down. On stairs.
But never been concerned about a number (draw time).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
i have no timer......

as is for cc, i have practiced with my hands in my pocket, down at my side, or having something in my weak hand to toss at the face while drawing.....usually a coke can or bottle.....

supported and one-hand unsupported at times.......especially unsupported with the hand toss.

all draws are not static as there is simultaneous movement......either side-stepping into an FBI crouch (out of date but still works for me), side moving with firing, or back-peddling with firing...i just don't like standing still.....less line safety demands it.

mainly after a smooth draw....smooth is usually quick....

here is an old miami vice clip......no hollywood magic here......the actor is/was a real life competition shooter back in the day.......you appendix carry guys can appreciate this....

i can never reach that level.....which is why i incorporate movement...to increase my odds....

·
Registered
8,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i have no timer......

as is for cc, i have practiced with my hands in my pocket, down at my side, or having something in my weak hand to toss at the face while drawing.....usually a coke can or bottle.....

supported and one-hand unsupported at times.......especially unsupported with the hand toss.

all draws are not static as there is simultaneous movement......either side-stepping into an FBI crouch (out of date but still works for me), side moving with firing, or back-peddling with firing...i just don't like standing still.....less line safety demands it.

mainly after a smooth draw....smooth is usually quick....

here is an old miami vice clip......no hollywood magic here......the actor is/was a real life competition shooter back in the day.......you appendix carry guys can appreciate this....

i can never reach that level.....which is why i incorporate movement...to increase my odds....

I watched that scene when it aired. If you look closely you can see the lead wire on the ankle of the cop who gets shot, that makes him fall.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
I dont really know that it matters unless trying to compare draw times with another person, or any reason that you need a standard position to use as a baseline. As far as translation to real world scenarios, in the real world your hands are going to be where they are. They may be in front of you, in your pocket, or whatever, and you may not be stationary, or even standing up. Youre going to move how you need to move to draw your gun, and whether you practiced with your hands in front, in your pockets, or whatever isnt going to matter.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts