Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting a .44 mag. S&W 629, either 5" or 6". Don't have any comparative handguns so I don't know how I'd feel about carrying the 6".
This would be used for hiking, camping, and riding when I haven't opted for a rifle. I'd be wearing it cross draw on a wide gun belt.
Any thoughts about carrying a revolver the size of 6" 629 in that configuration? I know it's subjective, but would you suggest I go with the 5" instead? Not concerned about the velocity and sight radius difference. Mainly portability and how forgiving if is to shoot while doing target practice.
Thought?

·
Premium Member
5,462 Posts
A .44 Magnum is already highly inconvenient for CCW, but open carry no problem. 6" is ideal for hitting targets at range. A couple of inches of sight radius makes a huge difference (to me). I personally consider 6" the minimum barrel length for all my larger caliber revolvers, and don't like anything less unless it's .38 or .38/.357. To me a 6" .357 or .44 is the ideal back packing pistol. Big revolvers are a lot heavier than the smaller ones (barrel length doesn't make a big difference in weight). But, if you don't mind lugging it around with you there is nothing I'd rather have...for snakes and such...

Does the new 629 come in a 6"? I think it may be 5" only, but I don't buy new revolvers, so I'm not the one to ask. You will probably need an older one if you want a longer barrel (I think). Not a massive difference but I still like longer better.

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have a late 50's .44 with a 6.5" barrel - it's a big ole heavy gun. I wouldn't want to tote it around hiking personally. That said - it'd vaporize snakes.

·
Premium Member
5,462 Posts
That was a joke.

·
Registered
85 Posts
A shovel does a good job on snakes. It's also easier to use than a long barrel .44 magnum.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jaeger, S&W makes 4", 5", 6", and 6 1/2" 629s. Probably other sizes, too. The 6" is half lug, the 5" full lug. Don't want anything shorter than 5" do to recoil/blast concerns, and as I'm not a handgun hunter I personally don't see why I'd need anything longer than 6", so I'm stuck between 5" and 6".
I've never carried but have fondled my brother's 6" GP-100 to some extent. Same length and weight as a 6" 629, and personally it doesn't feel big and cumbersome in my hand. Not the same thing, though, I know.
Gun shop in town has a used 6" 629, I haven't taken a look at it yet. What signs should one look for when buying a used revolver? Never have, and don't want to end up with some lemon if I do.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I used to (semi) CC this bad boy:

Nylon Uncle Mikes shoulder holster under a Levis jacket. Barrel end went in my rear pocket. Added a chain to make it look like a trucker/biker wallet.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
18,428 Posts
We didn't know any better in days of yore and thought a big-framed 6-inch gun was great for hiking.

Out of habit, I've long carried a 4-inch K-Frame Smith & Wesson, but have never noticed the difference between it and something larger if a larger handgun was taken afield. A 6-inch gun isn't as convenient while sitting on the seat of a vehicle. Otherwise, it's great.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
For field use a cross draw is the ticket for a long barreled revolver, don't know how concealable it would be.

·
Banned
374 Posts
6" barrel on a carry gun? Maybe back in the day but now there are too many other excellent choices that are much easier to carry/conceal. Shorter, lighter....can't see me fighting with a 6" barrel today.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
My 6" Security Six is my sidearm of choice while hunting and such. Even with a cheap Uncle Mikes holster, it doesn't flop around and is secure to my belt. For the use you described I think it would be perfect really.

IMG_0903.jpg

I've since added a Hogue finger groove grip to make it a bit more controllable.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
A shovel does a good job on snakes. It's also easier to use than a long barrel .44 magnum.
A shovel is also a bit harder to carry on your belt while hiking.

Not sure why so many are questioning the concealabilty on this one. The OP never mentioned he was trying to hide it under a t-shirt.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually, I have no intention of carrying this handgun concealed. I was asking about the difference in portability for open carry.

·
Registered
85 Posts

Not sure why so many are questioning the concealabilty on this one. The OP never mentioned he was trying to hide it under a t-shirt.
I've got a Redhawk like yours, however it is the

I've got a Redhawk like yours, however it is the 7 1/2" hunter. Actually carries very well in a Bianchi belt holster. I like to put the RH holster on the left side so it is possible to drive the car. The shovel - not so much. :)

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
We didn't know any better in days of yore and thought a big-framed 6-inch gun was great for hiking.

Out of habit, I've long carried a 4-inch K-Frame Smith & Wesson, but have never noticed the difference between it and something larger if a larger handgun was taken afield. A 6-inch gun isn't as convenient while sitting on the seat of a vehicle. Otherwise, it's great.
It's a long back question, the inconvenience of what weapons we should take with us, probably as far back as when the first Homos left Africa to deal with those other Hominid beasts that were already out there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts