Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ask this question because a couple hours ago, I drove down the to store and saw a guy OC'ing, and walking right up to a school. He was about 300 feet away from it and on that street, there's no where to go but straight, which means he was walking not only through the school zone, but passing the school itself OC.

Here's the funny thing. A police officer drove right by him. The guy was carrying on his outside hip (the one facing the street), and it wasn't a .25 either! So I'm pretty dang sure the officer saw it, and just kept driving. Of course, around here I've never worried about the city, county, or state LEOs. It's the feds that worry me.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I don't think its a problem unless you go on to school grounds.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think its a problem unless you go on to school grounds.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
It is, federal law states that you cannot possess a firearm within 1000 feet of school grounds, unless you are on private property (I assume, your own, but it's not clear) or have a CCL, or it is not loaded and in a locked container/firearms rack.

·
Registered
413 Posts
It is, federal law states that you cannot possess a firearm within 1000 feet of school grounds, unless you are on private property (I assume, your own, but it's not clear) or have a CCL, or it is not loaded and in a locked container/firearms rack.
In Ga. can be on school property if its inside a car; say for instance dropping off a child. I don't know about walking down the street when you consider the 1000 ft perimeter. I wouldn't take a chance that someone wanted to push the point.
I live directly across the street from a school and occasionally shoot on my old range was built before the school but I wouldn't do that during school hours. Too many chances for issues to come up best left alone.

·
Registered
10,859 Posts
Maybe he was a police officer.

Or ignorant of the law

·
Registered
36,902 Posts
I wonder what the United Federation of Planets rules on this are?

·
Registered
292 Posts
IIRC the only reason the Private Property exclusion was put in the "GFSZ" was to placate private property owners who lived within 1000 ft of a school, basically to keep them from being able to be prosecuted for having a firearm within the 1000 ft limit but still on their property. AFAIK, as long as you are on public lands (roadway, or sidewalk) you can carry arms as long as your state/local law allow you to do so. In AL you may OC w/o permit as long as you are afoot. So, yes here you can walk down the street/sidewalk OC directly infront of a school. Further, most states have an opt out for the FEDERAL GFSZ law in that most allow carry by persons who have a valid CCP (CHL etc). Therefore if OC is legal with or without a permit you can carry anywhere OC that you would CC. If your state has no permit required for OC according to the reading of some state laws you can OC in places prohibited to CC.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
At my age, I don't go TO schools, so I don't give it much thought. If I had a reason to go to a school, I'd probably worry more about it.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Actually, your carry permit exempts you from the 1000 foot GFZ around a school. As long as you possess a permit for the state you are carrying in, you are not actually on school grounds (although even this is not illegal in states like MI and OR), and OC is legal in your state, then you are legal...

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Actually, your carry permit exempts you from the 1000 foot GFZ around a school. As long as you possess a permit for the state you are carrying in, you are not actually on school grounds (although even this is not illegal in states like MI and OR), and OC is legal in your state, then you are legal...
For licensed carriers in general, so that folks aren't confused: So long as that state also doesn't prohibit school-grounds carry for CHL carriers, that is. Not all states do allow carry on school grounds, even with CHL. It varies by state.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
For licensed carriers in general, so that folks aren't confused: So long as that state also doesn't prohibit school-grounds carry for CHL carriers, that is. Not all states do allow carry on school grounds, even with CHL. It varies by state.
In any state (to the best of my knowledge), as long as you are not on school grounds, you can be within the 1000 ft. gun free zone, as long as you have a permit to carry from that state.

For example, here in PA, you CANNOT have a gun on school grounds, but I can be on other side of the street, on the sidewalk within the 1000 ft GFZ, since I have a License to Carry Firearms.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Here in Virginia beach that presents a problem. the majority of the 200+ K-12 schools are locate adjacent to large streets. You can not drive more that 2 miles from your home in any direction without driving within 1000 feet of school grounds. Luckily, our police officers recognize and choose not to enforce laws which are not well thought out or applicable. Again, it will all come down to your behavior attracting unwanted attention.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Indiana allowes a firearm on school property but it must remain in your vehicle.The federal 1,000 foot rule gets broken many times a day in many states.This law is like most federal legislation ........used to prosecute after a tragedy has been commited.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just because he was open carrying doesn't mean he doesn't have an AZ license.

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
I wonder what the United Federation of Planets rules on this are?
Most likely pretty strict. But I think the Klingon and Romulan Empries do not frown on it..in fact, they most likely encourage the possesion of firearms 24/7

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
Here in Michigan you can open carry in the schools. You can not carry concealed.
There is one stipulation to that, You must have a CPL to do so. If you do not, its jail time...

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Here in Michigan you can open carry in the schools. You can not carry concealed.
that sounds pretty stupid to me. I think OC is stupid anyway. It just makes you a prime target.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts