Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost every holster site I find that has a appealing holster has some sort of fine print that ruines the whole thing?
I was looking at this holster
http://www.haugenhandgunleather.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Model01
and found this on his site

Should your holster become worn, loose, defective, or ill-fitting at any time, cease use immediately. Haugen Handgun Leather accepts no responsibility or liability for accident or death due to their product. The entire risk as to the quality and performance of the product is with the buyer. Should the product proved defective following its purchase, the buyer and not the manufacturer or retailer assumes the entire risk for any personal injury or death claims. Because leather is a natural product, Haugen Handgun Leather makes no warranties either written or expressed on their products and the entire risk of all necessary servicing or repair is the responsibility of the consumer.

Now is this a common thing? Do our holster makers here do business in such a way or do they care if the holster falls apart after 4 months of use? (I alrerady know the answer, just in a hurry to get a holster, and everyone on here has a wait of 8 weeks or more)

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
that is a " boilerplate" liability disclamer that the holster makers have been basicly forced into by idiots abusing / modifying holsters and injuring themselves any reputable holster maker will stand behind the product as long as it is properly cared for by the end user

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Bruce - these days in our <bletch> litigious society - it seems almost anyone can sue anyone else - if they have a mind to. Thus disclaimers such as we see are all but mandatory for butt coverage!!

I wonder yet if we will see on a pack of envelopes (licky type) a small print-disclaimer - ''Careless licking can cause paper cuts to lips - we cannot accept liability for blood loss due to consumer's useage of our product'' :lol:

·
Registered
810 Posts
Many companies are going to that kind of language, as RR said. It's an attempt at a liability disclaimer. For example, Ed Brown has no written warranty on his 1911s, and he says that he basically can't and comply with all the laws... but he says that he cares for his customers. Ed builds great guns and will take care of problems, but he can't say that in writing.
I have no doubt that if I had a problem with a holster from Tony, Gary, Lou, etc... the problem would be resolved regardless of the lack of a written warranty.

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Redneck Repairs said:
that is a " boilerplate" liability disclamer that the holster makers have been basicly forced into by idiots abusing / modifying holsters and injuring themselves any reputable holster maker will stand behind the product as long as it is properly cared for by the end user
I figured as much, I am just starting to get a little anxious to carry this darn thing.

·
Super Moderator
4,964 Posts
It is for the same reason that Kimber has to tell you not to carry a pistol with a round in the chamber - to keep the lawyers at bay.

Matt

·
Registered
737 Posts
Easy solution; get a holster from Gary Brommelund. He warrants his products for your lifetime, hard to beat that deal.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
<< is awaiting Ruger to re do the dummy scroll on thier firearms to say something to the effect <--------- bullet comes out this end ( for the rapper wannabes that cant find or afford a pen gun )LOL

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I am sure that his holsters are first rate, and the disclaimer is for legal reasons. However, since it is there, I would not buy a holster from him. I want the maker to warrant it such as so many others do including Gary and Kevin. If it ain't satisfactory send it back. Gosh, even Walmart and Kmart have such a warranty.

Jerry

·
Registered
612 Posts
I would have to agree with a couple of you. The lawyers will sue anyone for any reason. But a manufacturer needs to stand behind his product.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Well, very interesting thread. I have yet to post the "warning you cant sue me" on my website, but I do have a warranty claim thats just like you guys say. If it aint right, Ill make it so!
Now where is that web guy at.............. :starwars:
Shoot well.

·
Registered
218 Posts
My favorite disclaimer of all, came on the electrical cord of my iron, it reads: "Don't iron clothes while wearing"

You know why its been put there too....

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Eric Larsen said:
.... I do have a warranty claim thats just like you guys say. If it aint right, Ill make it so!

Just another reason I choose to give my business to folks like you. I've gotten consistently better service with one man operations (or very small shops) than with the bigger, "corporate-style" outfits. Sure it takes a bit longer to get my order but I know it was made specifically for ME and that increases my pride in ownership. Guess I view fine leather as "practical art."

So far my collection involves:
- Kramer IWB (the Summer Special style, sold off)
- Milt Sparks Watch Six (SA Champion)
- Alessi Hard Shell Talon (my current J-frame EDC)
- Larsen's COM3 Tuckable (Full carry rig for J-frame ... currently on order)

- Next will be Gary Brommeland's work, then Matt DelFatti's, then Tucker or K&D ....

So far I've never been disappointed and I honestly don't expect to be. :wink:
Jack

·
Registered
253 Posts
Warranties and such

Although I am not as far into the holstermaking business as some folks,
I currently offer a two-week-try-it-free gaurantee AND a one year waranty.

However I am strongly considering posting a disclaimer myself such as that any buyer of my products assumes risk for injury/death due to improper use.

I enjoy making the products I sell and so far lots of people enjoy using them, but it would just take ONE idiot :crackhead: and ONE attorney :dope: to smelll blood and not only would I be out of business but possibly out of house and home as well :grumpy:

Its the times we live in, nothing is ever anyone's fault. Everything bad that happens to someone else is the direct result of somebody causing it to someone else. :spank:

Anyway, there are some really great guys and gals out there in the gun business in one way or another, we just have to keep that one idot and one attorney in mind or we risk everything.

Thanks for listening :rolleyes:

Mark
http://www.crossbreedholsters.com

·
Registered
540 Posts
The real problem is when people modify products and then sue the manufacturer.Look at what happened to Piper Aircraft. Some dummy pulled out all the seats, put the instrument panel in the rear so he could do photography. Well the airplane was unstable, didn't meet the FAA's airworthy requirements.
So what did this Darwin Wanttobe do, when he crashed the plane he sued Piper for making a defective product. HE WON.
These lawsuits have become the new Great American Dream. Do something stupid, sue everybody and hope for a stupid jury. :chairshot

·
Registered
770 Posts
Ill give you another example "An older couple bought a mobile home, an expensive one.....they put it on cruise control and both went back to make a sandwich...when the vehicle crashed, injuring both of them. They sued the company for not explicitely explaining "not to do this".
They won......................ALOT of money.

Shoot well.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Napa Nick said:
My favorite disclaimer of all, came on the electrical cord of my iron, it reads: "Don't iron clothes while wearing"

You know why its been put there too....
I like the "Do Not Eat" warning on the little bags of dessicant powder in camera or optics cases.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts