Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wouldn't consider myself a "prepper", but I do have things set off to the side if "it" ever happens. Was kicking this (shtf) around in my head (do that from time to time) and got to thinking about the ammo side of things. After I run out of the good stuff, what will I be left with...

My .45's, for example, I've got about 1k rds in range ammo and close to 150 in Gold Dot. If I ran out of SD ammo (Gold Dot) I'd have to resort to my range ammo (230gr FMJ).

Would you be completely confident using range ammo, or do you feel it necessary to stockpile good SD ammo (for this situation)? This would be for any weapon or whatever your go to firearm(s) would be...223, whatever it is. (just discussing)

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
I have no concerns about good quality FMJ ammo, like Winchester 9mm NATO, being used for SHTF.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I would think in a SHTF scenario, your perspective on a lot of things change. My range will be good enough for SD. But I will likely be carrying more than 1 gun.

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
I personally don't feel a need to stock piles of JHP. I think that it definitely has benefits, being optimized for its purpose, but the odds of it making a substantial difference are probably relatively low. High enough that it certainly should be one's first choice, but not so high that I'd feel quality fmj to be useless.

It would come down to cost and budget. If I have X dollars to spend on a stockpile and can get 1,000 rounds of FMJ for that price, vs 300 rounds of JHP, I'd rather have the thousand rounds if things really went south. But if I have 3X to spend and find a much cheaper source for JHP, so the choice is 2,000 JHP vs 3,000 FMJ, I might choose the JHP.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Push comes to shove I'd use FMJ range ammo, but I'd prefer to "up-gun" to .40 and .45ACP.

Luckily because I reload I've put back quite a bit of the "good stuff" (reloads that mimic my carry ammo) so it really shouldn't come to that. Seriously though, IF S really HTF, how many rounds can you envision needing for SD before it's either over or "you loose" ???

Chuck

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
In my LCP Gen 2 I use Fiochi FMJ or Winchester FMJ (flat nose) for both range and SD ammo. I have previously used both FMJ in both .45acp and 9mm FMJ (because that's what Uncle Sam required). I would have no qualms about using FMJ in either one (especially in .45 acp)! In non mouse-gun calibers I prefer a quality bonded HP for SD. Just my .02 worth!

Reactions: pennzy and dp1911

·
Registered
20,078 Posts
Like most others here, range ammo is what I would stock. A 45 Auto is a big plus, as it has the caliber to start with, and is proven with the fmj.

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
I keep some SD ammo on hand - 200 or so rounds more less?

Bulk ammo? FMJ all the way. Good for the range. Good for the wallet. Good for zombies.

I'm set.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
As long as you're getting quality range ammo from a reputable manufacturer a FMJ will get the job done (ask any Korea or Nam vet). I'd pay some attention to how many magazines you have for each gun. Because I hate reloading at the range, I have at least 10 magazines for my autos and 10 speed loaders for my wheel guns. Just-in-case I keep them all loaded at all times.

·
Premium Member
6,423 Posts
If you go through 150 rounds of GDHP's in a SHTF situation and you're still standing, it means you're so good with a pistol that it doesn't really matter what ammo you're using!

(Unless, of course, you just spray-n-pray, and you wasted most of it). :hand5:

Reactions: Creytabell

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
An event such as this would create much different conditions than a typical personal self defense scenario. The primary objective is just to be armed to prevent those who are not prepared and want to invade your home or take your supplies. I wouldn't expect to be walking merrily down the street and encounter a mugger.

If FMJ is good enough for the military it is good enough to protect my home. And, in such a situations, there may be a need to more penetration - e.g. someone is outside the home trying to get in.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
I would. I don't know about everyone else, but I only have enough defense ammo stockpiled to load 2 or 3 mags (depending on capacity). The rest of the ammo I have stockpiled is all "range" ammo. Just about all of my rifle ammo is steel cased. I'm not worried at all about my setup. If I have $200, for example, to spend on ammo reserves, I rather buy 1000 rounds of range ammo vs 200 or so rounds of traditional self defense ammo... That's just me though...

·
Super Moderator
24,657 Posts
To look at this differently, I have a lot of hollow point in 7.62 X 39 and 5.56 and since "it" has happened, I carry my long guns all of the time anyway. I have no great need for 1,000's of rounds of hollow point self-defense quality pistol caliber ammo, but maintain a quality inventory of ball, as well as some hollow point.

:yup:

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Good ammo is good ammo, whether it's cheapie range ammo that feeds flawlessly or overpriced, high-tech HP rounds. In an SHTF situation, I'll just be glad I have a gun with bullets. I'm not going to care whether its Walmart FMJs or Buffalo Bores' "so hot you'll grasp your crucifix while your finger presses the trigger".

·
Registered
712 Posts
I typically carry 9 mm Luger and 9x18 (Makarov )as my concealed carry, self defense calibers in 1of 4 different weapons. Depending on where and what I'm doing. My ammo brands of choice are Fiocchi and Hornady Critical Defense. My range ammo is hand loads with my own cast bullets. 124 grain RN for the 9 Luger and 95grain RN for the makarov and my P64. In a SHTF situation were we are talking survival. Not survival from the lone attacker, or even multiple (1,2,or 3 attackers) but survival from zombies, space aliens, or any other hordes of evil doers. In a situation like that I would feel more than comfortable using my hand loads for self-defense

1 - 20 of 63 Posts