Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Hi All

Most strikers I can shoot more accurately than TDA, DAO, or LEM. However, in over 15 years of CC, I've never carried one. The reason is fear of A/N discharge. I practice, but tight groups come much easier with aforementioned guns I don't carry. Any one been there and have good advise?
How I got comfortable with Glock is
  1. taking it apart and figuring out how it worked. It's not "going off by itself". The striker doesn't have sufficient spring pressure (I don't think) to touch off a primer if it should slip off the sear surface, and it would have to batter its way through a steel pin (the striker block) even if it did.
  2. grip mods to suit me.
  3. Installing a striker control device backplate, to make holstering safe(r).
It's partly a psychological thing. I get that. What I worry about "brain fart" NDs. Over familiarity and a moment's inattention and "BOOM!". Any bit of technology that helps head that off is a good thing. The "striker control device" backplate tipped me over to trusting the Glock and occasionally carrying it. The much maligned grip safety of the XD/XDM/XDS get you a similar level of safety, through a slightly different path.

"Striker vs. hammer" really doesn't matter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Like most other guns they will only fire if you pull the trigger(unless it’s a 320). It’s Just a matter of getting used to it.
If you want a 320 make sure it has been through the voluntary recall or purchased after the recall.

As far as feeling comfortable, it comes with time. The danger is being too comfortable and losing respect for safety fundamentals. Finger off the trigger and careful slow holster/reholster.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
Training. 99% of my shooting from a holster is at home with laserlyte trainers. Rules at the ranges I have access to do not allow shooting from a holster, engaging multiple targets or moving while shooting. So I do that at home and riddle various objects around the house with red dot hits and reloads/malfunction drills.

Also, my first handgun was a DA revolver, then a striker. Not that big of a change. What threw me off was when I got a DA/SA Beretta. The hair-trigger second shot is jarring.

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
At close distance front sight on point of aim. then pull trigger three times. No magic required, Hammer or striker means nothing. Rapid response means everything. Forget the technicalities, Kill the enemy.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I have never had a negative discharge thus handling problem with Gen3 Glocks or Gen1 S&W MP series pistols. If you are competent in handling procedures there shouldn't be a problem if not use a different pistol operating system.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
There are several things that I do, many of which have already been mentioned, to give me sufficient comfort to carry a striker fired carry
- training and practice
- a good kydex holster that completely covers the trigger
- usually I holster the gun then put it on my belt
- when holstering, ensure nothing is inside the holster and sight gun into holster
- Even with all of the above, the only striker fired gun I carry is a PPS M2 because of the striker cocking indicator, which allows my to know if the trigger is moved while holstering by placing my thumb on the slide plate.

·
Registered
399 Posts
It all comes down to establishing your confidence with a striker pistol; Formal training, then solo practicing what you've learned, really helps. But it all comes down to being vigilant about gun safety, using a rigid, quality kydex holster, and ALWAYS ensuring nothing is in your holster as you insert the pistol- not folded over leather, fabric, clothing, keys, or a burrito. If you can't see clearly into your holster, remove it, eyeball it, then reholster the pistol and reattach to your body.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Keep your booger finger off the bang switch and all is well...

But seriously...be deliberate and know what you are doing at all times when holstering, unholstering, and drawing. If you do that, you will be more than fine IMHO.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Some striker fired guns do have relatively heavy trigger pull.
Springfield XD series has a grip safety which can help avoid a ND while holstering the gun.
Interesting... I would think most people reholster without altering their grip, so wouldn't that result in the XD grip safety being depressed while reholstering?

Reactions: Rabbit212

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I've carried mainly striker fired handguns ever since I was legal to own and carry handguns, never had any problems with unintentional or otherwise negligent discharges. I've carried a Glock 19 more specifically in every conceivable manner (IWB, OWB, shoulder, and Smart Carry) without issue. This was before I switched to the H&K VP9 which has essentially the same manual of arms as the Glock so making the switch had minimal learning curve. The biggest thing is trigger discipline and periodically performing inspections on your firearm to ensure its in working order.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Interesting... I would think most people reholster without altering their grip, so wouldn't that result in the XD grip safety being depressed while reholstering?
Yes, that is exactly what happens. That's why I believe it is primarily useless. I own an XDM 4.5. Love the gun.

In the end, it has the same safety as my revolvers do, my finger. As long as I am careful holstering, as JD mentioned, not to get anything in the trigger guard, there is no danger to myself. I prefer to use guns without safeties. Less for me to think about when I need to fire my gun. Up to this point in my life, and hopefully only, for hunting.

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
If one is prone to "thumb capping" the slide as one does with a hammer fired gun or SCD equipped Glock, the web of the hand comes off the grip safety of an XD.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,039 Posts
This is the reason I've never owned a Glock and doubt I ever will. I have four XD's and feel perfectly comfortable with them because they have the grip safety. Some claim that they "don't want a stupid safety getting in the way," but I would much rather have to deal with that so-called "additional step" than risk an ND.

The Glock and (most) M&P's only have a trigger safety. Now tell me, how is that going to prevent an ND when holstering if something snags the trigger? It's not.

·
Premium Member
3,039 Posts
No. You wrap your fingers around the front strap while your thumb holds the slide forward. It's very simple.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
This is the reason I've never owned a Glock and doubt I ever will. I have four XD's and feel perfectly comfortable with them because they have the grip safety. Some claim that they "don't want a stupid safety getting in the way," but I would much rather have to deal with that so-called "additional step" than risk an ND.

The Glock and (most) M&P's only have a trigger safety. Now tell me, how is that going to prevent an ND when holstering if something snags the trigger? It's not.
When you holster an XD/S/M, you lift just enough so as not to engage the grip safety....how is that any different than knowing what is between your firearm's trigger (say a Glock's) and the holster? They are all just different sides to the same coin.

·
Premium Member
3,039 Posts
When you holster an XD/S/M, you lift just enough so as not to engage the grip safety....how is that any different than knowing what is between your firearm's trigger (say a Glock's) and the holster? They are all just different sides to the same coin.
Not quite. The cup of my hand isn't resting on the grip safety. In fact, it's pretty much suspended while the thumb holds the slide in place. With a Glock, it doesn't matter where the cup of your hand is or where your thumb is. If something snags the trigger, it goes "bang."

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Not quite. The cup of my hand isn't resting on the grip safety. In fact, it's pretty much suspended while the thumb holds the slide in place. With a Glock, it doesn't matter where the cup of your hand is or where your thumb is. If something snags the trigger, it goes "bang."
You're missing the point...by knowing where the cup of your hand is you are deliberating taking action to avoid a negligent discharge. The same goes for a non-grip safety striker fired weapon...know where the trigger is in relation to what is between it and the holster as you holster...both deliberate acts designed to avoid a negligent discharge. Now I know you'll likely say but with the XD you have an intervening action to avoid the negligent discharge but the thought process and deliberateness is the same in general terms.

·
Premium Member
3,039 Posts
You're missing the point...by knowing where the cup of your hand is you are deliberating taking action to avoid a negligent discharge. The same goes for a non-grip safety striker fired weapon...know where the trigger is in relation to what is between it and the holster as you holster...both deliberate acts designed to avoid a negligent discharge. Now I know you'll likely say but with the XD you have an intervening action to avoid the negligent discharge but the thought process and deliberateness is the same in general terms.
I understand where you're coming from. But at the same time, I still believe that the addition of a grip safety adds a layer of security. Even if something were to snag the trigger on one of my XD's, it's still not going to fire unless that same "something" also depresses the grip safety.

As I said in another thread....

1. A gun is a mechanical device.
2. Any mechanical device can malfunction.
3. Human beings aren't infallible.

I believe it was in the thread about AIWB carry. I won't own a pistol without any manual safety for the same reason I don't carry AIWB: "unlikely" does not equate to "impossible."

·
Registered
399 Posts
If one is prone to "thumb capping" the slide as one does with a hammer fired gun or SCD equipped Glock, the web of the hand comes off the grip safety of an XD.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Ahh, "the old thumb over the end of the slide trick". Thanks.

Reactions: JD
21 - 40 of 88 Posts