Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally im a small pistol CCW ,G26,Kahrs,442s whatever thats small Its what im using
and i carry IWB. Basically my summer carry is my 365 carry but I have a
Springfield TRP collecting dust and Id like to put her in service
and I am curious what others are using to carry these 2 pounders

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
This week I traveled from SE Louisiana to San Antonio for my nephews graduation from AF basic at Lakeland. My 1911 is riding in a kydex paddle holster from Comp-Tac...quick and easy on/off while plenty secure for what I'm doing. Spare mags same thing. I also use a generic pancake leather holster until my custom belt-slide comes in. I've had zero issues with concealment or anything with either set-up.

A quality gun belt makes all the difference.....I'm wearing a Hanks belt this week.

·
Banned
705 Posts
As the person before me mentioned, a quality gun belt and a quality holster are key. When I carried a Smith & Wesson model 4006 ( comparable in size and weight to a 1911) I carried it in a Kramer Scabbard on a Wilderness Tactical instructor belt

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
sonny That's not a 2lb handgun but a 2lb 8 to 10oz pistol plus ammo . I will carry a LW commander occasionally or a m&p 4.25 40sw but my EDC is a p320c 40sw but I draw a line with handgun weight at a point of under 28 oz empty for long hard day's carry comfort . A 5" handgun even empty is not even near my list of possible carry handguns . Beside the longer barrels is even slower to clear a holster if needed I can carry a 5" steel 1911 but I will not and have no interest in keeping a 5" 1911 around as I'm not a range plinker . I have 33 years of CC . I wear a MTAC now and had comp-tac neutral for 15 years before that . I have always used a iwb at 3:00 carried high on my side and manage good concealment with olny a Carhart Delmont t shirt that fits well .

If you own a shot timer time your draw to first round fired with your P 365 and then see how that compares to your 1911 then wear it for a few looong days and they YOU can decide all on your own if YOU want to carry a than lead butt 1911 . IT might depend on what you do for a living but only you can make that call so don't worry about what we think or carry . You also might find you need suspenders to keep your pants up even with a great belt .

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I don't carry a full size steel 1911 and I am not sure I would but, I do carry a lightweight commander either OWB in a Don Hume pancake or IWB in a DeSantis Mad Max rig both at the hip. I wear a 1.75" wide stiff leather betterbeltusa belt. I carry with that 2 spare mags, a leatherman, a Ka-Bar TDI and a Streamlight flashlight all on the belt.

Para 1911 in DeSantis Mad Max open top.jpg
1911 carry setup.jpg

Having said that my fastest bullets on target setup by far is this one.

Phlster holster 1.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Today I'm carrying the SS 9mm 1911. 3 o'clock in a Galco OWB with two spares weak side. The more I carry it, the less I notice the increased weight compared to the usual M&P9c.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
3 different ways...

OWB: Galco Combat Master
IWB: Milt Sparks Executive Carry
Shoulder: Galco Miami Classic

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Milt Sparks SS , a good belt , and pull the belt one notch tighter .

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
OWB in variety of concealable or open carry military style holsters.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I usually use an old Bianchi model 7 pancake style holster for my Colt Series 70 MK IV Gov't Model. It works very well in keeping the pistol close and secure. It also has the right angle for me to draw quickly and easily.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I usually carry a Commander but also carry Gov'ts. I prefer strong side OWB though I have a couple of IWB holsters I'll use on occasion. If it's OWB I carry a couple of spare mags on the opposite side, if it's IWB I carry two spares in my left back pocket in a Wilderness pocket mag carrier. I prefer 1.75" reinforced gun belt, a Wilderness Instructor belt gets the most use but I have several leather belts as well. I have holsters/gear from Garrett, Tucker, Kramer, Shoemaker, Black Hills, and others, I wear what fills the need or fits the occasion. Quality gear makes all the difference when carrying heavy guns, doesn't matter if it's a 1911, an N frame S&W revolver, or a high capacity polymer .45 like a G21 or an FNX.

View attachment 307662
View attachment 307664
View attachment 307666

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,913 Posts
I usually carry a Commander but also carry Gov'ts. I prefer strong side OWB though I have a couple of IWB holsters I'll use on occasion. If it's OWB I carry a couple of spare mags on the opposite side, if it's IWB I carry two spares in my left back pocket in a Wilderness pocket mag carrier. I prefer 1.75" reinforced gun belt, a Wilderness Instructor belt gets the most use but I have several leather belts as well. I have holsters/gear from Garrett, Tucker, Kramer, Shoemaker, Black Hills, and others, I wear what fills the need or fits the occasion. Quality gear makes all the difference when carrying heavy guns, doesn't matter if it's a 1911, an N frame S&W revolver, or a high capacity polymer .45 like a G21 or an FNX.

View attachment 307662
View attachment 307664
View attachment 307666
Nice rigs. :hand10:

(I have a bunch of those same Metalform Super mags myself :wink:)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts