with deposit she is starting to see the light being that a co

worker in another town got robbed and shot this month

with deposit . She is not real keen with me carry with her

when we are in public she still has some of those anti gun

views any help from board would help Thanks

·
Registered
574 Posts
She has to get over her FEAR! Fear is what drives the anti-gunners. Have her watch the series "I Survived" I Survived - Biography.com
Often people recount how having a gun or actually using a gun saved thier lives. Point out moments in the story when "Ya know if he or she or they would have only had a gun with them". Try to make her understand that there won't be many stories like that becasue well prepared armed people are so much more likely to AVOID these kind of scenarios than the Sheeple.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If at possible just holster up when the wife is out of the room. I carry IWB and prefer my wife is not aware that I am armed. She may lean a little towards anti-carry, but she is by no means anti-gun. When the SHTF I don't want her screaming honey where's your gun and blowing any tactical advantage I might have had. If things go bad and your not armed your wife will probably cuss you for years.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Took my next step on the conversion this morning. One of her (insert appropriate celebration of your deity of choice here) presents was an airsoft Walther P99 kit. Keep in mind I made up for this "typical man" type present with other various frilly and girly things. When I explained we could set up a target in the hallway and stay nice and warm inside I got a very favorable, "Hmmm, that might actually be fun."

Success in tiny baby steps.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Have you pointed her to Pax's "Cornered Cat" site yet? There were a lot of articles written from a different perspective, that my wife read.
My wife was never an 'anti', just never thought that a weapon at hand was necessary. The world changes and so do views.

We went to the range together. Shooting was sport. Later, I bought her own low recoil Walther P22 when she had trouble shooting my 92FS...then her own S&W model 60, now she has her CCW and packs a PPS. Dragging anyone into something is usually more difficult than leading one step then another. It sounds like your wife is waking to the hazards of the world already and that awareness may the first steps.

·
Registered
449 Posts
That's exactly what I do - the wife never sees my firearm.

My wife also knows that guns came with the marriage package. The less anyone knows one is CCW the better.

Early on my wife was a nag about seeing me open the safe and placing my trusty firearm on my person. She knows I carry but she just will never see it.

I was successful in convincing my wife to carry pepper spray. For the moment I cannot convince her to obtain a firearm. And I am not too optimisitc that she will change her mind. I am trying to explain how home invasions occur and how there are plenty of BG out in the world.

Merry Christmas my friends!

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
I disagree with the above poster. I am of the opinion that a spouse needs to know that you carry. She needs to know what you carry and how you carry.

You two are a TEAM. She is not and should not be treated as a weak frail little woman who should be scared of guns and needs to be protected even from the ugly side of life. She's quite capable of handling the fact that her husband has taken the initiative to carry a weapon to protect his and HER lives. In fact, she should be encouraged to do the same so that both members of the team are equally as capable of defending the other.

Have her talk to Limatunes on here. Have her watch her videos on line. Have her look at a really read the cornered cat web site. Stop acting like the fact that you carry is something to be hidden from her and start treating her like an intelligent and capable woman and your whole marriage will be better for it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ahem, have you tried taking her shooting at the local range? Start her off with a small caliber.......like say a .32acp or .380acp. Even a .22 would be a great starter pistol. Be sure to explain how the gun functions and safety BEFORE getting to the range. Maybe even have her dry-fire a few times too.

It worked for me...........now my bride of 23 years carries daily. Btw, she packs a S&W 637 .38 snubbie.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I disagree with the above poster. I am of the opinion that a spouse needs to know that you carry. She needs to know what you carry and how you carry.

You two are a TEAM. She is not and should not be treated as a weak frail little woman who should be scared of guns and needs to be protected even from the ugly side of life. She's quite capable of handling the fact that her husband has taken the initiative to carry a weapon to protect his and HER lives. In fact, she should be encouraged to do the same so that both members of the team are equally as capable of defending the other.

Have her talk to Limatunes on here. Have her watch her videos on line. Have her look at a really read the cornered cat web site. Stop acting like the fact that you carry is something to be hidden from her and start treating her like an intelligent and capable woman and your whole marriage will be better for it.
Well said Mike!
Self defense should be a team effort even if your partner doesn't carry. Her part comes in my learning to move to a position of cover and not give away any secrets about your tactical advantage, at the very least.
She should be armed with a cell-phone as well, and be prepared to make the 911 call when the time is right. Be sure she knows the proper protocall for her "job".
My husband carries as well and we have worked out what to do if we are ever in a situation that we would need to draw.
Even my daughter has been taught what she should do if a situation ever arose.
For us, it is a family team that works together and has the best chance of going home each day.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Take her to the range and let her shoot all your guns.. It worked for me and now the has her carry license and never walks out the door without her Ruger LCP. And she was anti gun.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Merry Christmas to all ! My wife is my partner we discussed getting our concealed handgun permit right after 9/11/01.So we did our classes and
got our permits and next year will be our 3ard renewal.Time flies when you are having fun.t's none of my business but if your hiding stuff like this from your wife what else are you hiding.You are two people and disagreements do come
up an should be discussed and settled like adults.I wish you all the luck in the world.

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
I have no idea what might convert her but I am positive that you'll get no where trying to force it down her throat.

My wife was converted when she ran into a road rage situation that made her realize just how defensless she was. she now carries everywhere

·
Registered
449 Posts
I am goung to talk to my wife and have an open discussion on this issue.

The "team effort" makes a lot of sense. I am going to have her watch the videos recommended by previous posters.

Please privide more video links that can bolster my case.

I have a new project at hand.

Thank you for the advice.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Update: Sigh.....airsoft P99 has a pretty stiff slide. She isn't really strong enough to rack it. She was struggling and wound up pinching the palm of her hand and bleeding a little. I probably should have gone the CO2 route.

Still though, she's been having fun shooting it with me cocking it for her. I was able to get her to try cocking my G27 to compare the spring strength. That's a pretty huge step forward for someone who was dead set anti-gun "no way in hell" 3 years ago.

Definitely lets me know that when the time comes, she's probably going to be a revolver person with such little hand strength.

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
Took my next step on the conversion this morning. One of her (insert appropriate celebration of your deity of choice here) presents was an airsoft Walther P99 kit. Keep in mind I made up for this "typical man" type present with other various frilly and girly things. When I explained we could set up a target in the hallway and stay nice and warm inside I got a very favorable, "Hmmm, that might actually be fun."

Success in tiny baby steps.

Good idea , this was my response, get them to shoot.
If you can get a niece ,nephew , another GIRL to shoot with them,in front of her, this calms their fears somewhat and they start thinking ,hey if that little kid/or girl can do this, maybe so can I.

*"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream
media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to
pick up a turd by the clean end**.**" Author Unknown

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
How do you convert spouse?
I gave up on the first. My second came ready made with just a little bit of help from me.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Merry Christmas to one and all

How do most of you convert your anti gun spouse

I have been married now for over 6 years

My wife knew from the jump that guns came with the package

meaning me she was not thrilled with the idea but went with

a dont ask dont tell deal . This year I got my carry

I am in retial management over 30 years walking out nightly

with deposit she is starting to see the light being that a co

worker in another town got robbed and shot this month

with deposit . She is not real keen with me carry with her

when we are in public she still has some of those anti gun

views any help from board would help Thanks

Well, my wife is all for it, but personally, I think you ought to just chill out on her and forgot what others say, fear and all, maybe it's not fear, maybe it's she just doesn't like guns, we don't always have to label something, some like them, some don't, it's the way it is. My philosphy is as long as we can co-exist and not bother each other, were cool.

You might want to look at it that way also, don't mention it and co-exist partner. She's your partner, not your project.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
All the above posts have decent points to make. May I add a more offbeat comment. my wife knows about "some" of my guns. Now she knows about "all" of my guns. How? We went on a cruise and I bought her a very expensive piece of jewlry. "Its all about the jewelry", at least in my house. Us guys got our "jewelry", they only want their fair share. I am not kidding folks--at least in my house, with a wife that likes to look good with expensive "stuff", that is all it took to convince her of my "jewelry".

·
Registered
357 Posts
Heh Kelcarry, I am extremely fortunate in that one of my woman's hobbies is beading. Since she makes a lot of jewelry, she flat out doesn't like wearing the expensive stuff. She loves red so for our first anniversary I bought her some ruby earrings. She's worn them twice. She loves that I thought enough to give them to her of course, but she told me it was so silly to spend so much money on trivial things like that. (Heh, one of the only true signs I've ever gotten that there might in fact be a God after all.)

That being said, you are still correct. Bribery still goes a long way, just gotta know what kind of bribe they want. :image035:

Oh, and about the previous posts on the airsoft gun, man is that thing fun. Our back patio area is flooded at the moment with a stream running from right to left. We sat there in the sun and shot at leaves and stuff floating by. Not consistently accurate, not that I would expect a little $20 air pistol to be, but its still great fun. Thrilled that she has taken to it. I don't think it will be too difficult to move her to a .22 at the range soon.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Maybe I shouldn't say it, but if it were not for women and their votes, we would have one hell of a LOT less restrictive, unconstitutional firearm laws.

On second thought; maybe I should say it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts