Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
reading some of the posts and threads in here a guy starts wondering how some of the members even bring themselves to go outside of their own home...after checking the perimeter...setting the alarm...setting up 7 items in a particular place...practicing the draw and double tap to the chest...

where do you sit in a movie theater?..

are you able to walk down the street without someone walking backward behind you to guard your back?...you know someone could walk right up behind you and take you out before you know what hit you?...the horror!...

i think after you type some of this stuff you really need to take a moment to read it and ask yourself...is this the way i really live?...

just saying...

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
I've brought up the same thing before; at what point does being prepared cross into paranoia?

A lot of what goes on here is pure paranoia, some is just thought processes being displayed on some is the tactical peepee contest.
I don't allow my preparedness intrude on a normal, happy and healthy life. I do think of a lot of things normal people do not, its just part of me. Some of the stuff people worry about here make me chuckle. They worry about silly things while ignoring the obvious danger.

My profession demands it, and it spills over into my personal life. It is what it is. Its part of my life, yet it is not my life.

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
I have asked the same questions myself. No I meant to myself.

Pass the popcorn

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
Well for me it's............

Oops, gotta go and check the perimeter.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Me, well I answer the door if someone knocks, I pick up the phone even if I don't know the number (home phone I don't even have caller Id) I will look someone in the eye even if I don't know them. Will go out after sundown, don't carry a bug.

I live my life, CCW just lets me do it a little safer, and with a little more confidence. :yup:

Z

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
I agree too, that some folks are prone to overkill (forgive the pun), when it comes to the limits of self protection. Taking reasonable precautions like locking the doors, being aware of your situation while out, is sufficient for protection. Of course, remembering to pack you gun while out helps too!

I'll take some of that popcorn too. Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Common sense and balance. That's my approach. Aware and alert, not paranoid.

Now I have to go check the tripwires........

·
Super Moderator
18,165 Posts
Its all about perception and its all relative.

Reminds me of the elephant getting his first look at a naked man.

He looks at him and thinks...how in the heck do you breath from that little thing?

To the newbie, I'm quite sure that reading some of the posts on here can be entertaining, and some of it does seem a bit paranoid. What seems paranoid to one member may be a matter of survival to someone else living in totally different conditions.

You also have to remember that we have members from all 50 states and even some other countries here. What may seem completely foreign to someone may be completely natural to someone else.

You just have to learn to sort through it all and pick up what you can.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I think HotGuns makes a good point. Many folks here live in urban areas like myself. Many people walk up and down the sidewalk in front of my house on a daily basis. We get a lot of the night crawlers after dark. I'm pretty good at making sure the doors are locked, no valuables are viable thru the window. Each time when I step out I check around before I leave the porch. To someone living in the sticks, that may not be a concern.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have a friend who is one of the paranoid people.

And let me tell ya he is no fun to go out of the house with. Always worrying about something..too many people here, those guys look scary, oh someone is standing to close. It never ends. And when I am with him I think.."God what a horrible life"

·
Registered
358 Posts
...living in the sticks ain't as laid back as you might think.

Have you met any angry racoon/coyote/dog/ mountain lion/crazy-guy-down-the-road/bear/snakes/purplepeopleeaters/ and whatnot that resides out in never-never land?

·
Registered
18 Posts
reading some of the posts and threads in here a guy starts wondering how some of the members even bring themselves to go outside of their own home...after checking the perimeter...setting the alarm...setting up 7 items in a particular place...practicing the draw and double tap to the chest...

where do you sit in a movie theater?..

are you able to walk down the street without someone walking backward behind you to guard your back?...you know someone could walk right up behind you and take you out before you know what hit you?...the horror!...

i think after you type some of this stuff you really need to take a moment to read it and ask yourself...is this the way i really live?...

just saying...
Well said.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
+1 for Hotguns
Considering the conversations with a sisters ex-boyfriend from South Africa even the most paranoid seeming member here is under prepared for when he lived in South Africa. Each persons system is based on them.
When your load out to go shopping is a rifle and a pistol with armor piercing ammo and you've had to use this setup I fully admit I have no clue what that kind of threat level is like.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ultimately, there's a balance between comfort and safety. You can carry nothing and worry about nothing and not be inconvenienced at all, you can be crazy paranoid and not enjoy life, or you can find a nice spot somewhere in the middle that works for you. Isn't it great that different things work for different people?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Paranoid?

WHO SAID THAT!?!

No really, it's easy for me to start carrying way to much stuff for everyday use. Fire extinguisher, first aid kit, rain gear, flashlights, road hazard triangle, etc. in truck; SAXD9sc on my side, spare mag in cargo pocket, folding knife and tac light in the other........how much is too much? Do I feel comfortable carrying so much gear? Not always, it gets heavy. Do I feel more comfrotable when walking downtown Indianapolis around Circle Center at night, or North Saint Louis to visit my daughter? Yes. Does it comfirm my decision to carry almost everywhere when I see shootings/assaults in EVERY demographic area of EVERY city? Darn right.

I try to stay reasonable, keep in perspective but you know? There may just be a chance in my life, God forbid, that I am confronted with a life-threat and have the opportunity to make a difference in the outcome. I practice and train and try to stay focused, whether it be a need for evacuation, helping people exit or escape from fire, flood, earthquake or taking out an a--hole intent on doing harm. My firearm is a tool, just as other equipment and knowledge are tools.

I do not want to go to my grave with the thought resounding in my head..."If I had only had a gun.......".

that's just me, maybe I'm wrong, but its what I'm comfortable with.

OH yeah, and where do I sit in the theater? Wherever I think the view and sound of the movie/play will be. But I do check where the fire exits are.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think....k...wait one...gotta put on my tin foil hat so the guys in the black helo's can't pick out my thoughts!!:image035::1augen72:
:scared:
I'm not a pair of noids by the way....I just believe in a few things...1) the second amendment....2)I'm getting old and don't wanna flop around on the ground with anyone younger than me trying to prove how tough I am.:boxing:..3)never go to a knife fight without a bigger gun....

I never carried a weapon since I got out of the military until this yr when the obamanation got into office and the ammo disappeared off of shelves and fears of people not being able to get a hand gun..then I went on a buying spree...9 guns and counting....(I think I have a addiction :AR15firing::comeandgetsome:)

Steve

1 - 20 of 123 Posts