Votes: 17 20.2%
  • Parallel thumbs

Votes: 67 79.8%
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,I have a question for all you expert pistoleros.When you take a firing grip on a handgun, how do you place your thumbs?What I mean to say is ,do you lay your weak hand thumb over the top of your strong hand thumb forming a X?Or do you lay your strong hand thumb on top of your weak hand thumb so they both more or less run parallel?
I know this may be a stupid question ,and the reason I ask is that I always formed a X with my thumbs. Lately though I have been trying to retrain myself to lay them parellel because I thought it looked to be better form.What are your thoughts?And thanks for giving me your attention.:wave:
I decided to add a poll,Thanks for voteing!

·
Registered
112 Posts
my thumbs are always parellel. Don't think about form it just seems to be more comfortable

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
my thumbs are parallel and pointed down the frame pointing down range.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
For a long time I was crossed thumbs on everything, but on the XDs I've gotten to the point I can comfortably let my thumbs lay parallel. Since that's what I shoot most of the time any more in a handgun, the grip has managed to start appearing on pretty much everything. I find I have to cross thumbs on revolvers firing anything with significant recoil however (like the .44 Mag). So in short I don't really cross thumbs very often any more.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Yep - ''old school'' here!!

I teethed on revos way back and used crossed thumbs and still do - which includes my semi's. I do notice tho that automatically my right thumb points a bit down and the end joint is slightly bent - that then means the left thumb sits very well over it and gives good lock-up.

This method keeps both thumbs well below the slide line. I'll try and take a pic with self timer later.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok - quick pic's - focus not ideal but shows what I was describing - first is SIG then SP - not much difference it seems. Can do fine with parallel thumbs but this old habit is well entrenched!

·
Registered
336 Posts
I guess i am a freak, i use both methods. It just depends on what i am shooting.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
Mine are parallel. One one the thumb safety the other on the slide stop.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I use the "IPSC" hold....I picked it up late in life though: when I was at FLETC; the instructors drummed that grip into our heads.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Both. It depends on what I am shooting.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
parallel

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
thumbs are paralell , bottom thumb is close to on top of a 1911 safety oO( hey its muscle memory lol )

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
P95Carry,Thanks for taking the time to post those pics!Your thumbs are positioned exactly the way I am used to holding mine also.I also shoot large bore revolvers, and I have not tried shooting my 4" 629 since I changed my grip.Maybe I am createing unanticipated problems by changing my grip.
srfl,what exactly is the ISPC hold that was drummed into you at the FLETC?Is it parallel thumbs or crossed?

·
Super Moderator
18,107 Posts
Its a fact that in many gunfights GUNS taks alot of hits along with hands.

Crossing your thumbs will insure that you get BOTH of your thumbs shot off in the event of a lucky shot...:gah:

Parrallell thumbs mean only ONE thumb hits the ground.

Think about it...:blink:

·
Registered
521 Posts
parallel for me as well.
guess its from shooting so many autos i just got out of x-ing them to keep'em away from the slide.
only takes one wack from a slide and ya forever know where that thumb is when shooting.and eliminating the "x" format solved that issue for me.

·
Registered
523 Posts
The guy I learned to shoot from was old school, crossed thumbs. I have tried parallel, and I don't see any change in my shooting.

Also if you are using one hand your thumb will be down, and I see no reason to move the thumb position when you go to a two hand grip.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Despite a wish for luck in a confrontation - just be sure not to cross your fingers :18:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts