Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) If your handgun is compatible with +P ammo?

2) If you need to replace your Glock guide rod? Is this something you should do after a several yrs of use or just let it be?

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
1.) The owners manual generally says if it compatible or not

3.) It would have more to do with round count than time elapsed. Are you getting a lot of failure to feeds or failure to eject malfunctions?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1.) The owners manual generally says if it compatible or not

3.) It would have more to do with round count than time elapsed. Are you getting a lot of failure to feeds or failure to eject malfunctions?
No, my G19 is about 3 yrs old and has probably 2000 rounds through it and still working flawlessly. I see all of the upgraded guide rods on TheGlockStore.com and such and just wondered is this was a needed replacement, a needed upgrade or just a bunch of hype.

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
The only reason most people put a differernt rod in is for less recoil or such ...Unless it starts having issue I would not worry about it

Some gun will take +P ammo even if not said in manual ..Still if the manual said no +P I would not in case something goes wrong ....

And yeah some gun will not +p at all ..So check first

·
Premium Member
8,132 Posts
No, my G19 is about 3 yrs old and has probably 2000 rounds through it and still working flawlessly. I see all of the upgraded guide rods on TheGlockStore.com and such and just wondered is this was a needed replacement, a needed upgrade or just a bunch of hype.
It is hype, pure and simple.

2,000 rounds through a Glock is nothing at all. After 10,000 or 15,000 rounds you might think about replacing it but only if the gun is not functioning properly.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
How Do You Know........?

Knowledge is an intuitive experimental crapshoot attempting to convince your buddies that your idea is better than theirs.

Well, that how mathematicians and philosophers and shooters and self defense aficionados do it anyway.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Your Glock 19 is fine with +P ammo and stock recoil assembly. They are cheap to replace so when in doubt, replace it. 2000 rounds isn't much for a Glock 19 so I wouldn't worry about it for quite a while. I personally use a Wolff uncaptured guide rod with 18lb. recoil spring in my G19, but it's not needed.

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
Your owners manual is the best source for that information. Generally speaking Glocks, Sigs, and the M&P series S&W should be GTG with +P.

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
You are good on both counts, there are 9mm Glocks out there that have fired 100K + rounds. I think Brownie has one that has done many more than that. Your recoil spring is just now getting broken in.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
1) If your handgun is compatible with +P ammo?
Most are, these days, but also read the manual, check the manufacturer's web site.

2) If you need to replace your Glock guide rod? Is this something you should do after a several yrs of use or just let it be?
"The g00gle sez":

1. Recoil Spring Assembly: 3,000-4,000 rounds (Gen 1-3). 5,000-7,500 rounds (Glock Gen 4)

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I listen to Google about as often as I do to my...Mother-in-Law. :blink:

Reactions: Rock and Glock
1 - 11 of 11 Posts