Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very tempted to pick one up with some sales I see plus the rebate. I hate to buy a gun without shooting it though. I have held them and pulled the trigger, but never fired one.
How do they compare to the Taurus PT-111 G2? It's similar in size. I didn't like that my trigger finger would hurt after a couple mags. I don't know if it was the face of the trigger (which is different on the Shield) or what. Just looking for some input. It would fit good between my Ruger 9E and Remington RM380.
Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
5,742 Posts
I own the Shield and it's my EDC when I don't OC. It's easy to conceal, light, shoots well. It's also uglier than a Glock. But it sure does it's job well. I really like mine.

Edit: Morning Houston. Y'all getting any of this rain up there? It dropped the temperature down in the 60s down here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the 45. It's smaller than a Taurus, since it's a single stack. It shoots good. It's similar in size to my Kahr CW45, but the Kahr has a better trigger. It's not hard on the hands to shoot. I like it!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
If you are right-handed (I am not), they are great. I had a 9mm. I liked everything about it except that the seatbelt in my car released the magazine every time I got out of the car. Didn't matter what holster I tried. I never had the problem with any other gun.

Reactions: bigpapa

·
Premium Member
38,993 Posts
If you are looking for a thin, easy-on-the-hands reliable single-stack, it's a great gun. A bit smaller than I prefer for a main carry, but that is strictly a matter of what I am most used to carrying and shooting. With the current prices, it is also a great bargain.

·
Premium Member
38,993 Posts
If you are right-handed (I am not), they are great. I had a 9mm. I liked everything about it except that the seatbelt in my car released the magazine every time I got out of the car. Didn't matter what holster I tried. I never had the problem with any other gun.
Which holsters did you try? I ask because there are simple workarounds for left handed ones to keep that from happening.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I own a PT111 G2, and have shot my boss' Shield 9mm. They are about the same size, but the trigger is very different. The Shield has a Glock style striker-fire trigger while the Taurus has their distinctive SAO striker trigger. That said, the Shield is the industry standard right now for subcompact guns. I recently took a class where 2-3 people had Shields (9mm and .45), and they all loved theirs and didn't have a single malfunction in the 300ish rounds we fired.

With regard to your trigger finger issue, I find that every gun I buy with a trigger safety I have to take sandpaper and smooth it out a good bit before it's comfortable to shoot more than a few magazines. I've done this with 4 Glocks and my PT111 G2.

For me, the main reason I haven't bought a 9mm Shield is I own a PT111 G2 that does everything the Shield does but holds 12 rounds. The other reason I haven't bought one is I typically carry a larger gun anyway.

Someone else's images:

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Starting pistol
Microphone Technology Electronic device
Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
281 Posts
I really like and carry my Shield 45. If I could improve anything it would be the trigger which, because of my trigger finger issues, causes me to pull a little right. I adjust the aiming point at the range. If I ever had to use it I can still hit within the killing area. I don't have the trigger issue with my higher quality guns. The big benefit of the Shield is that it virtually disappears with an IWB holster even with my summer clothes.

Both my wife and I dislike the Shield 9 I bought for her. It racks unnecessarily hard and shooting it is a chore. It will soon go to a new home.

How's that for a balanced report?

I have been reading about the Performance Center models of the Shield and may upgrade my 45 in the future. An improved trigger would make this a perfect carry choice.

Edit: I just read the post about left handers like me popping the magazine when bending. That was a problem I encountered, but I adjusted the depth of carry so my waist band doesn't hit the mag release. It was a nuisance. The Shield is so narrow that having it ride a little higher is no problem for me.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I just picked up a 45 Shield over the weekend. I haven't had a chance to take it to the range yet, but it sure feels good in the hand. I had a 9mm Shield about a year ago, but I never could warm up to it. Good gun, just wasn't for me.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
I've had my Shield 9 for a few weeks now, and I'm very happy with it. Almost 400 rounds with no failures. With the 8 round mag, it gives me a full grip, but still very concealable. The big thing for me is how accurate I am with it compared with my former P938 and LC9s (couldn't shoot either of them well). I think it's because of the sight radius. Even though all three pistols are roughly the same overall length (~6"), the Shield's sight radius is almost an inch longer than the SIG and 3/4" longer than the Ruger. It also has good sights.

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
I have (2) Shields in 9mm. (One is the wife's.:smile:) They are a fantastic single stack that is easy to carry and shoot, with decent sights! They are rated for +P ammo as well. What is not to like? I have yet to have a failure of any kind out of either Shield in about 1200 rds combined between the two guns. FWIW, the trigger smooths out after about 300 rds and touching up the exterior of the trigger face lightly w/ sandpaper makes it a decent trigger, IMO. IF... you ever do have problems with your Shield I would be willing to bet that you will get better customer service from S&W than you will from Taurus.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Shield 9mm the recoil with 147Gr-JHP+P Federal HST is a bit brisk compared to 147Gr-JHP Winchester Ranger. Four hundred rounds of the previously mentioned ammunition no failures to feed, fire or eject. Some individual's complain about the hand strength/force required to manipulate the slide because of the dual spring recoil system employed. The trigger press on my example on average 8.5-Lbs new now closer to 7-6.5-Lbs. The (7) round capacity magazine I rid myself of thus use the (8) round capacity simply because the hand purchase is better with the (8) round magazine and the plus one compared to the (7) round magazine. Accuracy is rather good to excellent.

Modifications to be made Apex Duty/Carry triggering system kit and the 10-8 sight system with front night sight and plain U-notch rear sight. Holster employed Alien Gear IWB pulls the weapon in close to the body trunk and the FBI cant positioning of the weapon.

If by chance your left handed, yes its a right handed world thus you know the manipulation process required. Nothing new here.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have a 45 and a 9. Love them both. I have never owned a better gun for this kind of price. They are almost always what I carry when I'm not at work.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
A workhorse of a gun and My 2nd most carried EDC. Always works and has a plethora of aftermarket sights, holsters etc. Trigger took a while to smooth out but its fine now, I don't do trigger jobs on my carry guns. Everyone I've known that has had problems with theres has had a trigger job. i don't find the 6.25 lb trigger objectionable. It's rugged and I don't mind it getting dinged up hiking etc. At the price they are now you can't go wrong. If I lost it I would probably get another or look at a Ruger LC9s, that's a nice shooting single stack as well.

·
Premium Member
5,742 Posts
I would appreciate an improved trigger. Can you provide a few details. What part(s) of the trigger do you sand and for what result? Thanks!
I put in the full Apex Duty/Carry kit. Trigger, sear, safety block, trigger return spring. It's night and day. The stock Shield trigger makes me want to drown puppies.

·
Registered
77 Posts
GMC, I have chosen it as my EDC and bedside gun and I have had many years of experience with firearms

My handling of firearms began in 1949 while in the Navy. Since then I have owned many makes and types of long guns and sidearms. In fact, at one time, I had the pleasure of collecting many high-end rifles, shotguns, revolvers and pistols.

Today, at an advanced age, I have divested myself of all firearms except for an EDC and a bedside pistol. Both are 9mm Shields. I chose the Shield 9 for these purposes because it fits me best of every other sidearm I have handled. I recognize that it is what it is: an excellent easy to conceal and powerful shooter at defensive distances. It is not a long range target pistol and is not purported to be so by Smith and Wesson. It is my short distance protector.

Furthermore, the Shield9 proves that price does not always equate excellence. The Shield is a low-priced pistol and yet it is reliable and accurate. In other words, it is excellent.

My shooting at targets with the Shield has been terrific. I am able to print small lethal patterns at defensive distances as well with it as I had done with either a high priced Ed Brown 1911 or a modestly priced Ruger GP100 revolver.

I have read many posts complaining about problems with the Shield 9. Many of these problems appear to be similar to what I had with other brands of semiautomatics. My suggestion to those who have these complaints is to work through their issues as best you can; either by yourself, with the help of other shooters or S&W. When you do successfully resolve your issues, you will find the Shield 9 to be every bit the fine pistol I find mine to be.

Stay safe and good shooting!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I have had mine since they first came out. I will admit I have not shot it that many times, and that is probably why the slide takes 3 men and a boy to rack it. And it will absolutely not lock when racked Shoulder replaced last fall has taken a lot of strength out of my hand/arm, which contributes further to the problem. I have always carried CCW without one in the chamber, as taught in my original CCW class. But the recent video of the shop keeper and his son getting gunned down, has changed my thinking.
With this problem, I have been looking at a Kimber, which racks much easier, but of course is a lot more $$. Also shoot an XDM and have qualified several times with it, but it's a double stack, and much heavier for an old man. I have also carried a 642 Airweight in jeans pocket for years as well. Recommendations? I'm open to any and all.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have 3 S&W Shields and love them all. My favorite is the Performance Center Ported 9mm. The trigger is 98% as good as Apex, the sights are excellent, and porting is not the evil boogeyman some tactical internet operators would have you believe. I spent much more money upgrading the standard Shields to get them to same level as the PC model. As far as how the Shield compares to a Taurus, I would say it's like comparing a freshly made Whataburger Double Meat Bacon & Cheese to a gas station tuna salad sandwich strangely missing an expiration date and the price crossed out and lowered twice via Sharpie. If you plan on shooting the gun once and then putting it in the night stand forever, both will do. If you actually plan on become proficient with it, definitely get the Shield.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts