Defensive Carry banner

How do you sight in your weapon mounted laser?

• Set laser at a specific range.

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Set laser parallel to the barrel.

Votes: 9 45.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who carry a weapon mounted laser, how do you sight it in? Do you line it up with the sights at a specific range or do you set it parallel to the barrel? I have always set it parallel to the barrel so I know it will be the margin at any range.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
I line it up with my sights at 20 yards, then verify by shooting. Then test at shorter ranges. It works for me.

Reactions: Haywood

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I line mine up with the iron sights and then shoot a round and adjust to get it right. I had a laser sight that would not hold point of aim and to make matters worse it was a crimson colored one that was hard to see in the day time. I went through two boxes of ammo before I found out what the problem was. I finally got a chance to shoot in the evening and found out that the laser sight was bouncing out of adjustment every time I shot. They finally sent me a brand new one but by that time I was tired of messing with the red one and bought a Viridian green one that I can see in the day time. Still have the new red one in the box and it has never been used. Got to go to the range again because the switch broke on the green one and I just got it back from repairs. So I need to check the point of aim again.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Laser on one of my AR's is a green one set for use indoors or close range if needed it is set for 25 feet the distance across any room in my house. Set as it is from zero to well beyond 25 feet all you have to do is get the green dot on and shoot. No mistakes no wasted time. Works as intended every time.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
I have used Boresighters but, lining them up with the sights has worked just as well.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Line it up with the sights, then fine tune dial it in just wear you want it at the distance you want it. For me it is the inside length of my home, which would be probably the only location it would come into play.

·
Administrator
144,135 Posts
So far so good. Staying on topic to the questions asked by the O.P. :king:

Kudos.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
My Glock Crimson Trace is six inches off to the right, just noticed this the other day at the range. I am going to adjust it, this info. helps. I rarely shoot this gun so it is easy to miss problems like this, good thread.

·
Premium Member
5,479 Posts
As others said, line them up with your sights, preferably on a bench.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I see most folks set it for a certain range. I used to, but decided to set it parallel in case I was outside this set distance. Last year I was fortunate to have done so. While fishing we had a water moccasin accosting us. I gave it a couple of snake shot rounds but it didn't do much. I loaded my usual HPs an held the laser the measured distance from bore to laser and popped the snake clean in the noggin approximately 30 yards away.

But to each their own.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I've tried it both ways on my CT-equipped G19 & ran it pretty extensively. I've settled on parallel for a couple a' reasons. My POA/POI is NEVER gonna' vary between shooting distances. It's ALWAYS gonna' shine 3/4" to the right of intended impact. And, since my GLOCK is a fight gun, and a laser is a fight tool, I'm not gonna' quibble...about .75". :biggrin2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts