Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where does one safely store ammo? Im not so worried about a break in, but in the event of a fire or something, do I need to store them in a steel ammo box? How do you guys store yours?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
steel ammo boxes? where does one get those?
Where can't you get them! There are dozens if not hundreds of places online to buy mil-spec ammo cans. Gun shows are probably the best place to get used ones cheap. Or you can find them in any number of brick & mortar stores ranging from sport/outdoor establishments (Cabela's, Ganger Mountain, etc.), local gun stores, Army Surplus stores, to Walmart or even hardware stores.

Menards has probably the best deal on new cans that I've seen recently at $14 for a new .50 can. My local Costco has a .50 & .30 Can combo (new) for $20. The same deal is available at midwayusa.com, but you would have to pay shipping.

But, you can get very servicible used ones for less than $10

FYI: There is a kit you can buy off Amazon for about $7 to make a .50 cal can lockable, but I have a pretty easy method. Using a dremmel extend the hole in the front flap upward to make a slit about an inch and a half high. Then, drill a hole in the front of the can in the middle of that slit for an eye bolt. Secure the eyebolt with washers and a lock nut such that it extends far enough past the front flap when closed that you can attach a lock. Material costs less than $2 and takes about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I bought a metal Stack On cabinet and keep all my ammo locked in it. I'm still trying to figure out where to permanently place in the garage, at that time I will bolt it down.

·
Registered
537 Posts
My ammo lives in a locked wooden cabinet across the room from my gun safe. The cabinet isn't heavy duty and wont prevent a determined break in attempt, but it will keep prying eyes and meddling hands off of my ammo stash. I also keep a dehumidifier running in the room to keep everything nice and dry. The best thing to do in a house fire is just to let the ammo burn. If the powder inside of a live round ignites, the bullet will simply push its out of the case rather than shooting off as if fired out of a gun.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I keep it in a locking steel cabinet in the garage. Just stacked on the shelves.

I live in California and it's not humid and inside the garage is never colder than 40 degrees or hotter than 90 degrees.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Ammo cans nearly everywhere. Small cans at Cabelas, Academy, and most gun stores. Larger cans at Army Surplus Stores and some other bargain/overstock outlets.

·
Registered
606 Posts
No, steel cans are not necessary. Ammo poses no threat from flying bullets during a house fire.
The ATF has done some really good tests on this. None of us would want to be in the same room as a case of ammo that is on fire but it's far less damaging than most people think.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I store based on where I can fit it--but it is mostly in a closet somewhere in the house. Some in my bedroom, some in spare bedrooms--most is stored in the cardboard case from the manufacturer--other loose boxes in MTM Ammo cans.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ammo can in their original packaging. It's not very space efficient that way but I prefer knowing which ammo is which, especially since I buy new and reloaded ammo.

·
Premium Member
8,113 Posts
In the original boxes, mostly on shelves on a very sturdy antique solid oak bookcase. I date the individual cardboard boxes as to when purchased and rotate the stock with oldest to the front. On the rare occasions we have company and someone is going to be sleeping in that back bedroom-reloading room I have large piece of very pretty fabric that gets draped and tucked over the front of that bookcase.

Bookcase won't hold "all" and we don't want to put too much weight in it anyway because my computer desk is directly under the bookcase and it would not be cool for it to come crashing through the floor..........So some is kept in other places, but we don't use steel cans. Have never had a problem with any of the ammo not firing properly no matter how old it has been.

Reactions: 9uc

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Mines located in my gun/safe room, under the 3 car garage, behind a vault door. Walls are reinforced concrete, so unless the fire starts there, it's pretty fire resistant. The room has got a dehumidifier and is on it's own zone for the Geothermal system, temp is kept at about 65-69 degrees, humidity is less than 50%. So it's got a pretty stable environment.

Within there the majority of my ammo are reloads and stored in plastic ammo boxes and those are stored in metal cabinets. I like the cabinets because it's easier to take a quick inventory of what I've got on hand when I order reloading components or get ready to make a run of a caliber. Ammo cans are a PITA to open/close every time I want to shoot or to verify inventory. I have some stuff in ammo cans, but that's the "what if" ammo that doesn't get messed with often.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Ammo Cans (1).jpg Ammo Cans (2).jpg

Too many years in the military. As a general rule, I haven't been as worried about a fire as I have been about the effects of humidity, especially since I moved from Nevada to the coastal plains of Texas last year. Years before I got into owning and carrying a HG, I used 50 cal ammo cans to store and protect handtools and electronic testing equipment from humidity and the caustic chemicals I used. When I got into HGs as an SD carry and hobby, I didn't hesitate to start using ammo cans for storage. Discovered real quick that the 50 cal cans when full are just too heavy and bulky for an old man to handle, so I switched over to the 30cal/7.62 ammo cans. Some bought used, surplus and a few bought new. I don't like loose/bulk storage so I get 6 to 8 boxes, depending on caliber and size of packaging of ammo in each can. As my second hobby is RV camping, I also keep what I call "To Go" ammo boxes, one with cleaning equipment and one box for each caliber I plan on carrying with me in which I keep the spare loaded mags and an extra box or two of ammo. Not shown, but I use the same type storage for my 9mm storage. I do note that I would like to buy another small safe to keep it locked up.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts