Defensive Carry banner

How do you secure your guns when not in use?

• Hide them in drawers and closets.

Votes: 26 21.8%
  • Gun cabinet or nightstand safe ($20 - $59).

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • Thin wall safe ($60 - $299).

Votes: 24 20.2%
  • Small gun safe ($300 - $599).

Votes: 16 13.4%
  • Medium gun safe ($600 - $999).

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • Large gun safe ($1000 - $1499).

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • Extra Large gun safe ($1500 and up).

Votes: 6 5.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
One Large safe. My wife would actually like to get another one (as we all know, it's odd how much non-gun stuff gets in there - like cameras, etc.). At least she's not telling me to sell guns to make room!!!

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Right now, since I only have 4 guns, and the kids are grown and out of the house, the guns are simply stashed where I can get to them. :comeandgetsome:

·
Registered
686 Posts
I leave both of my .22's in hard cases and locked. My HK is locked up when I'm not at the house, but otherwise is open. Usually on my person.

--Jim

·
Registered
209 Posts
MultiVault here, since only 2 items ... sofar...

·
Registered
455 Posts
All my pistols are locked up in a small safe, the long guns (shotgun & .22) are stashed away, until I can get a large gun safe in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My ccw stays in this next to the bed at night

I just have a cheap Stack-On for other stuff for now. It's bolted to the wall. The pistol safe (top) is bolted to the wall and the lower safe.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I put medium, based on price but it is a full size in dimensions - much same as Bud's I think we discovered.

It does not tho and cannot hold everything - so all important handguns are in - as are major longarms. Everything else has to secreted where possible tho many C&R category longarms do ''litter'' my office!

No use getting another safe really - no space to put another !!!

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have a large gun safe. I had to pull out door frames to place it. Most everything is in it save for the odd self defense weapon.
Shotguns stored muzzle down, of course.
Dave

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Shotguns stored muzzle down, of course.
Dave - haha - someone else does it LOL! That is something I started doing from my very first shottie - which was a Spanish SxS 12G boxlock.

Mind you - never really did leave enough oil in anywhere to suffer much risk of ''draindown''!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Gee Woody, that sure is a nice pistol safe; where'd ya get it? :hello:

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have a thinwall rifle safe like the one woody has.

I just got it, and need to secure it. I did have the Idea of putting it in plain view, bolt it down, and fill it up with a bunch of worthless crap. Then hide the good stuff in a false wall/floor/etc compartment. I need to do some remodeling anyway. LOL!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Many years ago, I visited a friend who has a rather impressive black powder gun collection. In his "gun room" was all his re-enacting gear and some mostly non-shooting "wall-hangers."

At one end of the room, there was a gun rack on the wall with a Daisy BB gun and a fishing rod on it. Just below those two, was a shelf, with a pair of drawers on the ends.

He opened those drawers, reached inside and unfastened a pair of door bolts. . .

And that whole section of paneling lifted right out of the wall!

This hidden-in-plain-sight door covered a two foot deep "closet" that went the full, 8 foot span of that wall. The "door" was a 4 foot wide piece of paneling with the gun rack mounted on it.

Had he not shown it to me, I never would have seen it. It was cheap and easy to build, and only took a little bit of space in an already small room. He kept all his "good" guns in there, including several Civil War originals.

Might just use that trick myself, one of these days.

mm

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Am. Sec. large gun safe and a few in selected advantage spots.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
Nick said:
Right now, since I only have 4 guns, and the kids are grown and out of the house, the guns are simply stashed where I can get to them. :comeandgetsome:
ditto

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
A thin steel cabinet simular to woody's for all my rifles. I also have a couple of hotel room safes that I keep my pistols in, with the exception of my Kimber CDP Compact. That stays on the headboard of my bed when not carried.

·
Registered
456 Posts
P95Carry said:
Dave - haha - someone else does it LOL! That is something I started doing from my very first shottie - which was a Spanish SxS 12G boxlock.

Mind you - never really did leave enough oil in anywhere to suffer much risk of ''draindown''!
Agreed- I'm not an "over oiler" but I've seen too many great old doubles with "punky" stocks from decades of oil seeping into the wood.
Dave

1 - 20 of 45 Posts