Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you go to the range to practice with the HD/SD pistol, how far away do you set the target?

Reactions: CG11

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
7 - 25 yards. Most of my shooting is done at 15 yards.

Actually, at work we train combat shooting right off of the paper as well.

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
Most will probably work inside of 21 feet. Personally, I practice from point blank out 21'. Then I will work on the fun stuff - out to 50' and beyond. Not much real world call for the longer distance stuff, but it is more challenging and if you can manage good groups at distance, your close range practice is a breeze.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
It depends. For most self defense situations you more than likely won't be shooting from a distance of more than about 25 feet, closer is often possible as the attacker comes closer. I shoot at various distances within that range.
I often use the Dot Torture drill as my training practice.
Here is the link with instructions and printable targets:
pistol-training.com Dot Torture
I currently have worked my way up to the 21 foot range with my carry guns and often use these targets just to keep my skills "fresh".
I am a bit of a nut about accuracy and shot placement and set a personal standard for myself of no more than a 3" group at 21 feet for anything I carry. If I can't meet that standard I won't carry that particular firearm until I can meet that standard.

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I vary the distance from arm's length to about 20 yards. Static practice is good for learning the fundamentals of marksmanship, but HD/SD situations are dynamic and often times low light. Most of my practice scenarios integrate these elements. Trying to hit a target while on the move and shooting with one hand in diminished lighting is a lot different than standing on a brightly lit target line punching holes in paper.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I shoot at 3, 7 and 12 yards, split about equal in number of rounds. On rare occations I'll send it down to the 25 yard mark, but I'm getting too old and my bifocals just don't like it when I do that.:nono:

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I always practice at 5, 7, and 10 yards. Nothing furthur, as it could get tricky in a self defense situation if it was determined I shot a bad guy at 40 or 50 feet.

We used to be able to shoot at 3 yards at my range, which is perfect for my pocket pistols, but a couple dummies ruined that by shooting the floor and ceiling, so they stopped that. :mad:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Typical Distances

I train at distances from right up against the target while retreating and drawing from my holster and putting shots on target up to 30'. I think that training at different distances is important but you need to make sure that you practice all of the movements that may be required of you as well.

Training on a regular basis is the key to success!

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
90% of my shooting is done from point blank to 7 yds. Since this is in the range where most defensive shootings will occur. I do shoot out to 20 yds on occasion, but not often.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
From point blank "retention" practice to a max of 25 yds. The great majority of my sd shooting practice is in the 10-25 foot range though.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks

I appreciate all the different viewpoints. I will try to practice these in the future to get better under various conditions.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
0 - 25 feet at the range. These are the distances that I feel I would ever need to shoot for defense. Of course, there is the chance that I would need to shoot further and for those times, my IPSC competitions give me that practice.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
0 - 25 feet at the range. These are the distances that I feel I would ever need to shoot for defense. Of course, there is the chance that I would need to shoot further and for those times, my IPSC competitions give me that practice.
OK, if you insist. I'm heading to the range shortly, for my third trip this week:image035:

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
I usually set up two targets...3 yards, and 7 yards.
I also use a second range (same club) that has various metal targets (some moving and spinning).

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thanks for the dot torture link. I will have to try that complete list and see how I do. I also liked the thought of drawing and shooting as you backed up, what may really happen in real life.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
I have been working on side to side & backwards quick moving & drawing at various distance out to 15 yards Point shooting ; )

·
Premium Member
2,841 Posts
I start at 25 yards (if using 1911s), usually about 2 magazines. This consists of my warm up. The middle part is always different ranges, moving & not moving. I end with last magazine using a draw from concealment at arms length on 1st target but with a total of three targets. (bad guys travel in groups!)

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
I concentrate my practice at 3 to 15 yards. With a P-3AT I do 25 yard every so often. With the PF-9 I do up to 25 regularly, and with larger pistols I sometimes shoot at 50 yard or so.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts