Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wandering how most people that carry practice. I practice more than most mainly for fun, two times a weak weather permitting and at least once a month with my carry gun. At our club several LEO's use the range mostly twice a year and it seems to take at least a 100 rounds for them to get even close to proficient. I like to practice double tap from double action to single action from a draw and shoot 200 rounds a time. Just wandering how many that carry are proficient enough to use when needed.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
I shoot on average 800 rds per month from my carry gun.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Just about never. Im afraid I wont be able to replenish my ammo stock

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Definitely not enough! The nearest indoor range closed recently and I'm waiting for someone to reopen it.

I've cut back......several 'excuses'; ammo availability, raising prices on ammo AND ranges, saving for Christmas, wife's 'huny-do' list, the fish are biting........

In the last 16 or so months I'm getting out once a quarter and putting 300 or so rounds through my EDC. My daughters will go through 500 to 1000 rounds with ANY of my firearms when they go to the range with me........THAT is getting expensive, bless thier hearts!

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I have cut back on live fire practice but stepped up the practice draw and dry fire.

When I do attend the range I practice with at least 100 rounds of .45 acp out of my carry gun. When I leave with a tattared bullseye on a 4" target at 7 yards I'm happy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I try to get out at least 1 a month but due to ammo prices and availability i had to cut way down.Now i get to range when ammo is available on the cheep.But when i do go i put about 400 rds of 9 an 40 each.

·
Registered
146 Posts
At least monthly, usually twice or more each month.

During summer IPSC season, I'm on the range weekly. During winter indoor IDPA season, it's at minimum one match per month, some months two. I compete with my carry equipment to keep everything consistent and "real." And then throw in the occasional non-match range sessions.

·
Banned
86 Posts
50 rounds every day, rain or shine (combat draws/reloads). I follow this protocol as a morning exercise before I start my day, i.e. like the early morning exercise shows (LOL).

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
50 rounds every day, rain or shine (combat draws/reloads). I follow this protocol as a morning exercise before I start my day, i.e. like the early morning exercise shows (LOL).
wish I could do that. Most times I have to practice with a "click" then a "bang"

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I reload with cast bullets from Missouri bullet CO and had 10000 primers before you could not find any more. I am down to 3000 loaded rounds left which may slow down my practice sessions. (I do have an after market rifled barrel for the Glock for the cast bullets.)

·
Registered
967 Posts
My EDC firearm?

I train enough for me to be proficient with my firearm, and confident I can wield it effeciently when needed.

The amount of actually shooting? 200rnds within a 2 month period ($64 in ammo every two months). If I'm off par I'll intensify.

Shotgun? Once I got the pattern down...maybe two or three times a year.

Rifle?... more often than the shottie. Mainly plink with it.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I practice at least once per week and try to compete at least 2x per month. Today will be the 3rd prectice this week with a match scheduled for Sat.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Not enough.

I'm down to approximately 150-200 rounds a month expended in one weekend. With winter coming up, I'm going to try and find an indoor range closer than 20 miles away from me.

I'll be honest, until this year, I never practiced live fire in the winter. However, I always practiced dry fire & drawing techniques.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Well I use to shoot once a week about 20-35 rnds, But been working alot
more tan usually & ammo stock is getting a little lower than I like. Now about
twice a month,that's with carry gun ;-) PS that is from the draw & point shoo-
ting.
H/D

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
I used to get to the range twice a week. Any more, about once a month outside of my local club's matches.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Used to be more but lately, once a month maybe twice. After the Holidays I'll step it up again. To much stuff going on this time of year around the house for play time.:tired:

GBK

1 - 20 of 48 Posts