Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Figure since its been around for about a year now we could see how the finish has held up from gun to gun... anyone game?
Mines kind of new still but here it is after 500 rounds and tagging along everyday.
photo.jpg shi3.jpg shi.jpg

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
No pictures, but the Melonite finish on my various M&Ps has always held up very well. My Shield has about 500 rounds through it, and my M&P9c before it had about 1,000. An M&P40 had about 500 as well. No finish damage, no discolorations that didn't wipe off.

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
Congratulations on your Shield, I hope it does well for you, they seem to have good reputations.

I don't have one, and in fact I've never actually seen one, but I've heard of other people saying they've seen them? I'm beginning to think that S&W may have mis-named it. Here's the closest picture I can provide.

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
Congratulations on your Shield, I hope it does well for you, they seem to have good reputations.

I don't have one, and in fact I've never actually seen one, but I've heard of other people saying they've seen them? I'm beginning to think that S&W may have mis-named it. Here's the closest picture I can provide.
I did see one at a gun show last month but it was $675. Guys at the LGS smile and chuckle when i ask about them.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I was on the waiting list for several months for a 9mm Shield. Buying sight unseen, just on reputation alone. When I finally did receive it, I was not dissappointed. Meanwhile, I'd picked up a Springfield XD Sub-compact in 9mm as well. I've not run a lot of ammo thru either one, but they both are holding up very well.

NRA Life Member

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
man this is crazy, in my area they are always in stock at msrp... I should mention that I am sending mine to S&W for repair due to double feeds, FTE,FTF , the battery issue and my sight that fell out. Kind of a laundry list of issues but I really like the gun so I will give it 1 more chance after getting it back from S&W . If that doesn't work Im grabbing another Glock 26.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I did see one at a gun show last month but it was $675. Guys at the LGS smile and chuckle when i ask about them.
That makes the $585 I saw at a local gun and pawn look almost respectable. But not respectable enough for me to pay $135 over list. I may buy one when things ease up but not at a place that has so blatantly taken advantage of the situation.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
man this is crazy, in my area they are always in stock at msrp... I should mention that I am sending mine to S&W for repair due to double feeds, FTE,FTF , the battery issue and my sight that fell out. Kind of a laundry list of issues but I really like the gun so I will give it 1 more chance after getting it back from S&W . If that doesn't work Im grabbing another Glock 26.
LGS in my area has kept a steady supply of Shield's as well. Surprisingly, they have gotten quite a few more in 9mm than in 40. They go fast but they are getting them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've been waiting patiently for my pre-ordered Shield to show up at my LGS. It's been a few months now and I'm starting to get anxious!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I meant to say " pissed " not " vexed". It had FTF, FTE, Doublefeeds, and failure to return to battery since day 1. I ran about 500 rounds through it hoping it would get better and it did not. So I just sent it back to S&W for repair. Never have sent a gun out for repair before. In MY experience 9mm single stack subcompacts that I've owned just suck (kahr pm9/shield 9 ). Not nearly as reliable as the slightly larger glock 26...

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have had my shield since May 2012 - so, almost 1 year. 2k rounds thru it. I mostly pocket carry it. It looks brand new, actually - other than the normal wear a semi auto gets on the barrel hood. Great gun!

·
Registered
11,153 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have had my shield since May 2012 - so, almost 1 year. $2k rounds thru it.
I wanna know what a $2,000 round does. Hopefully, it has terrorist seeking technology or at least sounds like a phaser gun so the last thing a killer hears is Captain Kirk saving the day.

My Shield 40 has about 800-900 rounds through it. Had to send it back in January to fix the mag drop issue with the extended mag. Got it back in Feb. and took it to the range. Had an FTB with the flush mag. Top round was pointed downward and the lip of the case caught the slide, holding the chamber open. I'm nervous about carrying it now. Thinking about switching to the G27 or XDs with summer just around the corner. I don't know if I should send it back, clean the mags and try again, buy new springs or just get rid of it.

·
Registered
15 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My Shield 40 has about 800-900 rounds through it. Had to send it back in January to fix the mag drop issue with the extended mag. Got it back in Feb. and took it to the range. Had an FTB with the flush mag. Top round was pointed downward and the lip of the case caught the slide, holding the chamber open. I'm nervous about carrying it now. Thinking about switching to the G27 or XDs with summer just around the corner. I don't know if I should send it back, clean the mags and try again, buy new springs or just get rid of it.
This is exactally how I am feeling right now..Hopefully when I get it back from smith and Wesson its going to be fixed but I am going to have to spend a hefty amount on ammo before I trust it. Im already looking into the Xds as well but I have heard mixed reviews.. at least I know first hand what I am going to get with the glock 26/27 they just plain work.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No damage to the finish from holstering and unholstering daily? Curious how my Shield will hold up to kydex daily.
I was carrying in a soft holster, Ever since I got my kydex holster it has been going down hill fast. It seems the slightest little brush up will scrape the finish. I hate to compare it to the glock again but it is what I am familiar with.. The shield finish is not nearly as durable as glock. I am starting to think my shield is a lemon and S&W is just going to send me a new one. I hear soo many good things about the shield and It sucks I cant enjoy mine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This is exactally how I am feeling right now..Hopefully when I get it back from smith and Wesson its going to be fixed but I am going to have to spend a hefty amount on ammo before I trust it. Im already looking into the Xds as well but I have heard mixed reviews.. at least I know first hand what I am going to get with the glock 26/27 they just plain work.
Let me know what you decide. I had an Apex kit and I'd hate to switch from that to a Glock or XD trigger. Plus, if I wanted a gun that held 5 in the mag, I'd probably end up with a J-frame whereas the baby Glocks hold 9 or 10 and backup mags hold up to 15 or 17. I think I'm just going to sell it. I have another Shield in 9mm anyways and it's been flawless.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts