Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so I have decided to carry federal hydra-shok ... for now we will see what happens once I get into testing them at the range. my question how important is the weight of the bullet. I will be using them a xd40 subcompact, and I am new to shooting handguns, been more involved with shotguns and rifles for hunting the rest of my life. Anyway I have been looking around and it seems that many LE and government organizations use this hydra-shok ammo. I am just uncertain how the weight of the bullet will affect the shot. figured what better place to come for advice. BTW these rounds would be used for home defense, as I do not really like the idea of carrying a 12gauge goose gun around a dark house if I think something maybe up ... seems like a little overkill. any advise welcome.

stay safe

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
I carry and recommend the 230gr HydraShok.

My preference is to hurl the biggest, heaviest bullet I can, within reason of course. A half ounce of lead at 850 fps fills the bill for me.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
A shotgun is arguably the best HD weapon available. Your goose gun would be a bit unweildy, tho not hopeless as a barricade gun, but you can get a decent used HD model pump for less than $250.

Might want to read up on HD threads as well, there are VERY few instances where you want to "clear" your house of a suspected badguy... the badguy has all the advantages, especially if you're by yourself. Better to barricade your self in a defensive position behind a shotgun, will a cellphone dialing 911.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
acparmed said:
I carry and recommend the 230gr HydraShok.

My preference is to hurl the biggest, heaviest bullet I can, within reason of course. A half ounce of lead at 850 fps fills the bill for me.
+1 i prefer heavy bullets in what ever caliber i use only gun i have broken this rule with is 10mm glock because i cant fin any other PD ammo local other than corbon 135 power ball

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
I prefer heavier too. more mass/ weight to transfer energy,.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Since you specifically asked about .40 SW in the "Baby" XD ,
I suggest going with the 180gr load.

The .40sw is not a very high velocity cartridge to start with ,
and with the short barrel you will lose some velocity.

The heavy will lose less , figure on close to 900 fps with the
full power 180 loads - nothing to sneeze at. :smile:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Just me but - I do not place total importance on bullet weight - I am more concerned ultimately in how a round functions and how accurate it is in a given gun.

To be honest - if push comes to shove, anything moving fast of adequate weight and put in the right place - will give us the chance we need and why we carry.

I still feel placement well outweighs specific cal or bullet weight choice.

·
Registered
753 Posts
also a 230 gr. Hydra Shok fan

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Find what is shoots to point of aim and carry that. I have Fed Hydrashok 124 grain in my 9mm GLOCK 26 and they seem to be dead on and performed well in expansion tests I've performed. Tomorrow I'll test 4 9mm JHPs for accuracy. 124 grain Fed Hydra, 124 Hornady TAP, 124 +P Rem Gold Saber, 147 Rem Gold Saber. I'm sure the 124s will be the most accurate but we'll see.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts