Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It seems I spend two-three hours after some range time to take down, Wipe-Out™ the barrel, solvent brush & soak other parts, wipe down, oil, lube and reload.

Granted, the Wipe-Out™ is the big factor here, but still, am i just spending too much time making my gun pristine?

I don't mind cleaning my gun after a couple hours of range time, but is this normal? What's your procedure after, say, 200-300 rounds?

·
Super Moderator
50,613 Posts
Well, Gunzilla does everything.
To take down Glock and clean it..30 minutes.:danceban:
To take down a Kimber and clean it...2-3 days.:joke:...but it can be a hassle.:screams:

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
It takes me about 20 minutes to do a complete tear down and clean any one of my Sigs. After only a few hundred rounds, I'd probably just do a quick field strip and scrub out in about ten minutes.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
15-20 minutes.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
About 30-45 minutes. I take my time, clean out all the lube/grease, get all the carbon off the feed ramp, breach and locking insert, brush all the loose crud off, lube the barrel, grease the rails, put it together, function check and wipe down the outside. I'm sure I could do it faster, it doesn't need to be as spotless as I get it but I'm in no rush and I find it relaxing and enjoyable.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
It takes me about 20 minutes to clean each gun, but I usually clean 2 or 3 firearms at a time.

·
Registered
M1911 Commander
771 Posts
It seems I spend two-three hours after some range time to take down, Wipe-Out™ the barrel, solvent brush & soak other parts, wipe down, oil, lube and reload.

Granted, the Wipe-Out™ is the big factor here, but still, am i just spending too much time making my gun pristine?

I don't mind cleaning my gun after a couple hours of range time, but is this normal? What's your procedure after, say, 200-300 rounds?
What exactly are you doing that you think is takin' so long?

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
What's your procedure after, say, 200-300 rounds?
H&K P2000SK 9mm at the range, if wanting to clean between sessions: ~10-12mins, for the gun a several magazines.

This includes the following ... Field strip to major component parts (frame, slide, barrel, recoil spring assy. Spritz barrel with solvent and set aside. Spritz all small parts with solvent and wait ~2mins. With "gritty" microfiber towel, get to work cleaning the smaller parts, getting rid of the powder, carbon, copper fouling. When done, clean the barrel, including with a few passes with a BoreSnake. Using another microfiber towel and decent gun oil, lube up all parts, all friction surfaces, then reassemble and wipe down. Break down the several magazines that I'm using during the session and clean them.

If doing a heavier cleaning, I simply allow ~30mins for the solvent to do its work instead of a couple minutes. Seems to work very well, and the gun runs smoothly.

If doing all magazines, and if I need to deal with copper or carbon fouling that isn't getting taken care of with normal "quickie" cleanings, then I'll add in a copper solvent and take another ~30mins at home. Occasionally, I've used a bore solvent to the maximum time for the solvent to work. In these cases, it can take a couple hours to get everything completely cleaned and lubed. But, keeping on the problem seems to help keep down the serious build-up.

Note that the time can be dramatically affected by the quality and speed of the solvent you're using. Previously (or at home), using Break-Free CLP would take ~15-30mins of sitting with the solvent to eat into most of the crud. Whereas, with Mil-Comm MC25 degreaser/solvent, it doesn't require much time at all to remove all fouling. Of course, leading and extended copper fouling is different and requires a bit more "oomph" and time. But for normal field-strip cleanings, this solvent works exceptionally well. (Haven't tried GunZilla or some of the other currently-popular products.)

·
Registered
643 Posts
About 30-45 per gun. This includes time to let the barrel soak, and I put a half-drop of oil on each side of the slide and stand it up to let the oil run down the rail to coat it. Im also very particular about cleaning everything.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I use Gunzilla for everything but the bore, in which I use Blue Wonder. I typically completely tear down my 1911 and start with the barrel. I then set it aside, letting the Blue Wonder do it's work. I then clean and lube everything else and finally swab out the bore. Total time about 30-35 minutes. I can't imagine what you're doing that takes several hours???

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Days.. upon days. Inevitably, I do the field strip and something crashes up stairs. Have to go up and pick up a broken picture.

Get it a little more taken down and it's too quiet. I go upstairs and my son is coloring on the wall. After twenty minutes cleaning that up I'm back downstairs.

Finally get it all taken down and the cats beg for food. I stop to feed them and realize it's time to feed my son.

You can see how this could be a longish process.

·
Super Moderator
19,602 Posts
Heh, never factored child care into the process.

Revolvers and semi-autos take 15 minutes each using old fashioned patches and brushes with Hoppe's No. 9. So do the shotguns and .22s. The centerfire rifles would too except they are generally treated to a regimen of soaking and swabbing with Sweets 7.62 bore solvent which takes hours. If the soaking process is interrupted, the rifle may be on the bench for several days.

·
Registered
52,752 Posts
2-3 hours? May a touch of OCD?

I never pay attention to how long; I just do it.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
2-3 hours? May a touch of OCD?
Perhaps, perhaps. It's not the first time someone has brought up the notion.

Actually, I was cleaning a S&W m60 revolver and a 1911, so the two-three hours was not accurate for just one gun; sorry, my mistake. Most of the time was waiting for the Wipe-Out™ to do it's job in the barrels & cylinder, during which time i saturate everything else in Mil-Comm MC25 degreaser/solvent, then go do dishes or mow the grass. When I come back to wipe, brush, scrub the bores, lube & re-assemble, I'd say total hands-on time is still 45minutes per gun. But they are clean.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.