Defensive Carry banner

So how long have you held a CCW permit in your current or previous states of residenc

• 1 - 2 years

Votes: 33 31.7%
  • 3 - 4 years

Votes: 15 14.4%
  • 5 - 6 years

Votes: 11 10.6%
  • 7 - 8 years

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • 9 - 10 years

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • 10+ years

Votes: 23 22.1%
  • I am not required to have a CCW permit in my state

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I live in a state that does allow CCW permits

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't have my CCW permit yet, but am going to get one

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 10 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
20,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long have you held a CCW permit in your current or previous states of residence?

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
I moved to Las Vegas from Los Angeles, of course in LA it is literally impossible for a citizen to obtain a CCW permit. I always carried anyway. (The purpose of CCW is that no one knows I am carrying, right?)
I got my CCW right after my move to Las Vegas in January 1994. So I've had my permit here for almost 11 years.

·
Registered
115 Posts
other...

Missouri allows us to carry on an OOSP(MO honors all CC permits) . I have a PA and a FL.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
mikaldulee said:
other...

Missouri allows us to carry on an OOSP(MO honors all CC permits) . I have a PA and a FL.
What is OOSP? :confused:

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I've had my permit (LTC here) since 1976 and my Wife has had hers since 1977.

OOSP = Out of State Permit

I also have a NH and FL CCW. RI summarily denies NR permit applicants, or I'd have one of theirs as well (since I have occasional business need to travel thru part of RI).

·
Super Moderator
19,002 Posts
Almost 3 years. Mine is up for renewal come March. Too bad it took MI so long to enact a CCw for everyone.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I am sad to say only two years and I could not come up with an acceptable reason to renew my ccw. It expired a couple of years ago. Lets say that in California; my age, price of gas to commute to ranges,cost of shooting, range fees and reason why the state should issue you a ccw all take their toll.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
5 years. I should have gotten it in 96 when it was first available in Texas, but I was out of state for a few months. Since I missed the initial excitement, it took me a few years to get around to it. Shame on me. Hard to believe now that I let myself go that long without one.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The way I look at it, even though the State of Mass passed some of the worst gun controll laws back in 98'. They did me a favor, because i would never had a pistol permit, when the laws changed and my old FID card was no longer good in 99', i figured i better get the best licence i can right now while i still can. So i applied for and got a Class A LTC Any Lawfull Purpose. This lets me carry consealed, and allows me to have "High cap" weapons.

I still hate the laws in this state :mad: , but I may well have never gotten into pistols and self defence had they never changed the laws and forced me to look at the whole picture in a different light.

Now if we can kick out of office the Mass A.G. and a few of his close friends, we maybe can get some of the power back, but i don't see it happening any time soon. :hand15:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I didn't need a permit to carry when i was a cop. I carried from 1970 till 1990 with out a permit. It is department policy to issue a permit when you retire. I had a permit issued in 1990.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I'm fairly lucky about it, I guess. Having been either a full-time, part-time, or now retire LEO for 30 years I've never had to get a permit, and now thanks to HR 218 it looks like I may never need to.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I've had one in Idaho for several years. Prior to that, my living in Chicago precluded me from having anything.

I got some really good lessons in "concealed" living there.

·
Super Moderator
25,519 Posts
Bumper said:
How long have you held a CCW permit in your current or previous states of residence?
Was one of those entries supposed to read "does not"?

I had a permit in Pennsylvania, before they were "Shall Issue". Then I ended up in Maryland........ So right now I'm SOL. :bawling:

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
I am orriginally from Indiana, where we have had a "shall issue" system since about 1932 (Florida style permit system my :reddy: ) I first applied on my 21st birthday and was pissed to find out I could have gotten it at 18 :slap: That would have been 30 years ago. I have lived in the state of Misery for 6 1/2 years now and before the passage of CCW last summer I usually had one in the car when traveling and did open carry some.

coma-
Now if we can kick out of office the Mass A.G. and a few of his close friends, we maybe can get some of the power back, but i don't see it happening any time soon.
You will have to rid the state of vermin like the entire Kennedy clan first, lots-a-luck there.

·
Registered
128 Posts
David Armstrong said:
I'm fairly lucky about it, I guess. Having been either a full-time, part-time, or now retire LEO for 30 years I've never had to get a permit, and now thanks to HR 218 it looks like I may never need to.
Take a close look at the law you still need a permit and it doesn't do everything you think it does.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I don't need one now, as my badge is my CCW, but I had mine right after the law went into effect. My wife needs hers renewed soon.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I bought my first handgun on my 21st birthday (I was turned down by TICS for my age, because apparently somebody over there couldn't do basic math, and so it had to be called in.) I got my carry permit shortly after and have been packin' ever since. :cool:

1 - 20 of 76 Posts