Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just wondering how long it will take to get my WA state Concealed carry permit. I am a WA resident.

I know that they say it takes 30 days. But is that worst case? or dose it take that long?

Sorry for the noobie question!:hand29: I am new to this site.

Thanks,
Nathan...

·
Registered
5 Posts
i got mine in the mail in exactly 30 days and so did a few of my friends...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay thanks!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think it may depend on the county you're in.....in Snohomish county mine took just 12 calendar days (four of those being non-business weekend days) back in late February. :hand10:

·
Registered
641 Posts
My experience may, or may not, add anyting to the conversation. I am an Oregon resident and applied for my Washington concealed handgun permit in Vancouver (Clark County), Washington. On my original application the turn around time was just about two weeks. On renewal the turn around time was four days. FWIW!

·
Registered
136 Posts
20 days in King County.
Wish I could say the same.....mine took 30 days from the King County Sheriff's Office!:hand10:

·
Registered
254 Posts
I am a WA resident.

Thanks,
Nathan...
Nathan, make sure you also go through the steps to get your Oregon permit if you haven't already. I've lived in Vancouver, and know how it and Portland are almost one and the same. Getting an Oregon permit is an easy way to stay legal back and forth across the border. You should be able to find an Oregon CCW class easily. The Clackamas Co. Sheriff holds them, or you can go down to the Oregon Firearms Academy and get an Oregon/Utah permit.

Welcome to the site.

CP Lincoln

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How easy is it for WA state residents to get there OR CCW??

Nathan, make sure you also go through the steps to get your Oregon permit if you haven't already. I've lived in Vancouver, and know how it and Portland are almost one and the same. Getting an Oregon permit is an easy way to stay legal back and forth across the border. You should be able to find an Oregon CCW class easily. The Clackamas Co. Sheriff holds them, or you can go down to the Oregon Firearms Academy and get an Oregon/Utah permit.

Welcome to the site.

CP Lincoln

·
Registered
713 Posts
In Grant County, it took my mother 3 days to get hers about 6 months ago. I need to renew mine here in spokane next year.

·
Registered
254 Posts
How easy is it for WA state residents to get there OR CCW??
Nathan, it is not difficult at all. The application process is similar to Washington, except that they will run a mental health records check and you need a course in firearm safety and Oregon self-defense laws that will take about four hours or so. Oregon only issues non-resident permits to residents of states that share a border with Oregon.

Your options there are pretty much Washington County, Multnomah County, and Clackamas County. You can apply to any of them, and each will have information on their website about how to apply. Washington County has been considered non-resident friendly in the past.

Concealed Handgun Licenses
http://www.mcso.us/public/concealed_handgun.htm
Washington County (Oregon) Sheriff's Office Concealed Handgun License Unit

They will likely ask for a reason that you need CCW. For mine, issued by Clatsop County, it was sufficient that I travel frequently in Oregon both for business and to visit family and carry for personal protection. I also cited the increased chance of an ND if I have to stop and unload every time I get to the border.

Even though Oregon allows car carry without a CCW, cities can pass ordinances prohibiting loaded carry. If you have a CCW, the state preemption covers you.

CP Lincoln

·
Registered
493 Posts
It depends on the PD. Renton PD gave mine in 3 weeks.
Kent PD takes 7 days.
Tacoma PD takes 4 days maybe because you are probably dodging bullets when you get out of your car on your way to the PD.

((((ratatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatttt!!!!!!!!!!!!))))

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I think it may depend on the county you're in.....in Snohomish county mine took just 12 calendar days (four of those being non-business weekend days) back in late February. :hand10:
12 days in the mail for mine also.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I had mine in ten days. (Snohomish county) After I got the permit, I noticed that the police chief signed it the very same day I made my application.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I had my washington permit in less then a week, but it was before the big rush on permits at the Sheriff's office. Current applicants are taking 2 weeks to a month. If you work in Oregon (which a lot of the vancouver crowd does) its really easy to get your Oregon permit. The multnomah county sheriff's office offers a class for $20. It used to be on Wednesday nights but you would have to call the concealed handgun unit to confirm.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts