Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These last few months since the tragedy in Connecticut have been instructive (at the very least) but also disconcerting to some extent as I sit on the sidelines watching the scramble for guns and ammo. I mean, really. How many out there already have enough guns and ammo and are patiently waiting for Congress to do its thing?

That's the route I am taking and it feels sooo good to not be in a lather over this stuff. My FFL dealer was telling me about a year ago that he was buying some ammunition that had been stockpiled by folks after Obama was elected the first time. True, things changed dramatically in December, but I expect a whole lot of folks are going to wake up after the fever has died down and they'll be cash poor and their closet floorboards will be sagging under the weight of guns and ammo.

After all, how many guns can you accurately shoot at one time? Personally, I've got a Gen 4 Model 26 Glock and that's it. I can hit the 'O' ring on the IDPA silhouette with my weak hand during the Classifier match with serious concentration, but if I were trying to shoot two handguns at once, I fear a number of innocent bystanders might pay the price.

Obama has been THE BEST THING to ever happen to the NRA, the gun manufacturers and the ammunition industry, bar none.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am waiting If I find something I want at a normal price I pick it up. I refuse to pay the inflated prices to purchase ammo or guns. I have a small wish list currently but can wait. fortunately I live in a state that is not gone bat crazy trying to pass restrictive laws but is going in the opposite direction.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I've got each and every handgun and rifle I feel are necessary and that I can competently use. I've got enough ammo for each to use in a pinch or defensively. In a true defecation hits the oscillation situation: they'll be plenty of people who horded more ammo then they could take with them, I don't think every single one of them will stay at home.

Either way I feel set for things I -need-. I'm waiting till the insanity dies down for the things I -want-. If it doesn't, I'm still set and I'll just accept slowly buying more ammo, but for now I'm good.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
The AWB and most of its components have been annouced to be DOA in the Senate.....where the Democrats have the majority. No chance of any of it passing
the House which is held by the Republicans.

...all this has been for naught....which many predicted the day Obama announced his plan

I haven't bought anything during this mess waiting for things to get back to normal. I have scratched a couple of gun stores off my list as their prices during this
frenzy went through the roof, and I feel they were really screwing customers with the ridiculous increase. They'll be sorry for their actions when they have no customers in a few months. I expect to see the prices of AR's and the like to drop like a stone after Harry Reid's announcement yesterday:
"I'm pulling the AWB fromthe propsed legislation because it does not have the required support even in the Senate."

...it helps that I stockpiled ammo and guns like crazy in 2008 in anticipation of Obama and his history towards the Second Amendment and added a few along the way the last four years. We'd be fools to think this guy is done with his agenda...he's not.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
I mean, really. How many out there already have enough guns and ammo and are patiently waiting for Congress to do its thing?

That's the route I am taking and it feels sooo good to not be in a lather over this stuff.

Obama has been THE BEST THING to ever happen to the NRA, the gun manufacturers and the ammunition industry, bar none.
Some prefer, OTOH, to "lather up" as the only real way of remaining clean in all of this, true to our heritage and our consciences.

Sitting back and waiting? From a legislative standpoint, I think that's a recipe for disaster, waiting for the 2A to get nearly flushed (for all practical purposes). After all, the liberty-haters all work for us. We hired them. We can fire them. And we can stop their nefarious onslaught of the Constitution ONLY IF WE FIGHT TO STOP THEM. Ain't gonna happen by sitting back and hoping it turns out alright.

But from the standpoint of the number of gun owners and carriers now out there, as you say, it's a boon. The floorboards can only hold so much, you're right.

Though, there are even bills in some states seeking to legislate ammo and ammo parts to within an inch of our lives, which could effectively render ammo unavailable for a good percentage of such folks for years. "Boon," eh? If many folks are essentially rendered incapable of effectively using what they've got?

Not if we sit and wait around for the evisceration, taking it meekly. Not "coming to take our guns," eh? They're trying everything possible to do exactly that, in many states. And when it comes right down to it, the AWB in Congress, a couple of variants, and some smaller restrictive alternatives are technically all out there, despite the wrangling; they could come to the floor at any moment, if the compromisers cut deals behind those closed doors of theirs.

Nicely, some hirelings in some states are actually paying homage to their sworn oaths to both protect and defend the Constitution by strengthening the 2A-related protections in their states. And many sheriffs are backing the Constitution and its protection by coming out publicly to state solidarity with the People who hired them to refuse enforcement of unjust, unconstitutional legislation.

YMMV. But many are opting to fight, opting to see what irons are still in the fire and preparing against the potential eventualities. It is what it is.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
I had all the firearms, accessories and ammunition I wanted/needed before things got rediculous.
Since then, I've run across a few good deals on ammo and bought some... but nothing at elevated pricing.
I've bought a few items that I didn't need just to patronize my LGS and reward them for staying true to their customers while other were gouging. (Thanks Maine Tactical... you guys rock!).

Having seen this coming and buying ahead of time means not contributing to the madness now and has allowed me to focus on joining the political battle. No waiting idly by for the dust to settle here! For the past few months I have been emailing, writing and calling my state an federal legislators a couple times each week. I've been reminding my friends and associates to do the same. Wars aren't won by waiting... they're won by doing...

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
These last few months since the tragedy in Connecticut have been instructive (at the very least) but also disconcerting to some extent as I sit on the sidelines watching the scramble for guns and ammo. I mean, really. How many out there already have enough guns and ammo and are patiently waiting for Congress to do its thing?

That's the route I am taking and it feels sooo good to not be in a lather over this stuff. My FFL dealer was telling me about a year ago that he was buying some ammunition that had been stockpiled by folks after Obama was elected the first time. True, things changed dramatically in December, but I expect a whole lot of folks are going to wake up after the fever has died down and they'll be cash poor and their closet floorboards will be sagging under the weight of guns and ammo.

After all, how many guns can you accurately shoot at one time? Personally, I've got a Gen 4 Model 26 Glock and that's it. I can hit the 'O' ring on the IDPA silhouette with my weak hand during the Classifier match with serious concentration, but if I were trying to shoot two handguns at once, I fear a number of innocent bystanders might pay the price.

Im not sure going through all this was worth it just to punch up NRA membership but ok.
Personally I think Obama, and his ilk at the state level have signed a political death warrant for liberals and anti gun supporters running for office next time at every level of government just as Clinton did only worse. Errrr better from our side of things.

·
Registered
397 Posts
waiting for prices to go to normal. havent been going to range like i used to. i understand why other people are stockpiling. i already stocked enough when prices were reasonable. buy low, sell high.

·
Premium Member
2,604 Posts
Waiting and writing. No loss because CA laws already negatively impact the choices in the market, anyway. Basically, I'm waiting to move to a more "common sense" state before buying a firearm, anyway, if I ever do.

·
Banned
12,068 Posts
Well some here feel Obummer getting elected both times was the best thing for the NRA's membership??? I have to disagree. For one the best thing for the NRA is that funny black guy Colion Noir that the NRA recently brought on board. I for one would LOVE to see Colion Noir run for President in 2016. I'd bet many that voted for Obummer would vote for CN for the same main reason they voted for bummer man just because he's black too. For my money race has nothing to do with a mans worth.

I believe Obummer is and will go down in the History books as the WORST President of the United States in the History of America.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Quote: "How many out there already have enough guns and ammo and are patiently waiting for Congress to do its thing?"

When is enough, enough? A friend of mine once stated: I got enough money in my pocket to last me the rest of my life...............long pause................if I die tomorrow. :yup:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Don't worry about tons of guns and ammo.

1. Do you have a year's worth of food and water?
2. Do you have enough magazines to load most of your ammo?
3. Do you even have a simple chest rig to carry your magazines with you?
4. Are you in shape?

Start thinking about preparing along those lines. Gotta have other equipment too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
There is an old adage, you should only use your pistol to get back to the rifle that you never should have put down", having a glock that you are proficient with is good, but I would strongly suggest getting a good rifle, and good rifle skills. Agree with ROFL SQUAD above, if you are good to go on guns and ammo, get the supporting stuff, chest rig, more mags (even those are becoming hard to find) and some food.

·
Registered
314 Posts
That's the irony, right. All this hub-bub-a-lo over, ultimately, nothing. Perhaps no new legislation (I'll give it 'till the end of this legislative period before I say that definitively). And everybody's panties in a twist over nothing. THAT has been the plan all along. Not just by Obama as a distraction from the economy or healthcare. But I think by ALL politicians: Let's distract the populous with an issue that will never see the light of day so that the peons will be distracted and ignore what it is we really do all day.

·
Registered
397 Posts
i was pretty well stocked before things went "down". imo, you always need to be looking for reasonable opportunities to add to what to what you need. Not so much with firearms but people with a few bucks and the government can put a good dent in ammo supply.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I am in good shape in SD and hunting ammo but I am a little low on practice ammo(70 rounds 10mm and a little over 100 rds 9mm) and I cannot find any 9mm at reasonable prices. I bought 2 boxes of 9mm(which is the max they would sell me) of 50 last Friday at LGS for around $18 a box which I did not think was too bad considering the situation. I can't help to think they are a lot of people who have a supply big enough to last them 6-10 years and still buying even at outrageous prices and there a lot of people who cannot find a box of 50 to take their child out to shoot on a Saturday afternoon. I will be patient, I think about a year from now there will be a surplus and the prices will be way down and people will have a house load of ammo that they paid twice what they should have and you will be able to pick up ammo at a reasonable price. I will probably get a bunch of crap for this statement but that is OK.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
That's the irony, right. All this hub-bub-a-lo over, ultimately, nothing.
Easy to say, after the AWB was blocked the other day.

There are plenty of folks continuing to push. And don't forget the last AWB (1994) and the amendments process. Sneaking it in there isn't entirely unlikely. If it fails, again, there as well, it won't be for lack of trying.

In addition to which, there are plenty of other ammo/magazine related bills, in addition to a House AWB bill. Those haven't gone away.

UNTIL THEY ALL DO, there's a legitimate threat, however unlikely it ultimately turns out to have been.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Maybe I am going to get flamed for saying this, but I have never seen any evidence that Obama has any strong anti-gun agenda. True I don't see him taking a stand against anything that the House and Senate might pass, but for all intents and purposes nothing significant is going to happen there. It becomes less likely as time and the fickle finger of public attention drifts elsewhere. Then I live in a state where gun legislation has only been moving in the positive direction over the last few years. :smile:

So back to the original question though. I was already well stocked with plenty of 9 mm Luger ammunition for my Glock 17, both cheaper FMJ stuff for practice and Hornady defensive ammo stuff. I have more than enough for my rifles ( 243 Win, 7 mm-08, and 30-06) as well as shotgun shells for my 12 gauge pump. I am soon to run low on 22 LR for my M&P 22 though. :frown: I only recently purchased a couple of 380 ACP pistols for defensive carry, and there I was in a bind as local sources for 380 ACP were completely out of stock as were online sources. However, I did find just the sort of “ammo rich but cash poor” man that 1gunsnowbird was talking about and was able to by a 1000 round case at normal pricing from him. It's just FMJ target practice stuff, but it will do me for now.

I actually am more annoyed at what panic hoarding has done to reloading supplies. I was interested in starting to do that, at least for handgun ammo, but the consumables (primers, bullets, and powder) seem like they are out of stock everywhere with no back order possible. So I plan on waiting until there is relief there before investing in all the upfront cost for equipment.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.