Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Are most home invasions (eg. Burglaries when someone is home) are done by a single BG, or 2, or 3, or more.

How many worth preparing for?

Right now I pocket carry a Smith J frame at home sometimes.

But is that enough?

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Me too...but that is only there to get me to my Mav88 12ga loaded with 00B and a 15 round sling

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea having a shotgun around, but if 3 armed bad guys break down the front door you may have only a few seconds to shoot them before they shoot you.

Most likely calling a time out while you go to the closet to get your shotty won't work out well.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Good idea having a shotgun around, but if 3 armed bad guys break down the front door you may have only a few seconds to shoot them before they shoot you.

Most likely calling a time out while you go to the closet to get your shotty won't work out well.
How long would it take to break down your front door? You have that amount of notice to grab an appropriate tool. Whether that tool is enough depends on variables not in evidence.

·
Banned
1,995 Posts
Here in NJ awhile back we had a notorious gang working the upscale neighborhoods......"The James Bond Gang".....they would crash the front door with guns and rifle through the home and it's occupants in minutes. They were caught not to long ago....TG.

Back then, one of my son's fellow employees, a young lady, was in her back yard at night walking her dog. She hears what sounds like a text message coming over a phone right in the wooded area behind her house.....minutes later the home across the street was hit.

·
Banned
1,995 Posts
How long would it take to break down your front door? You have that amount of notice to grab an appropriate tool. Whether that tool is enough depends on variables not in evidence.
I believe if you Google..."Jame Bond Gang"....there a vids of them on a home surveilence tape entering a home....like in seconds.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
I believe if you Google..."Jame Bond Gang"....there a vids of them on a home surveilence tape entering a home....like in seconds.
I don't carry while in the house. But if I've got 2-3 seconds notice while they are busting through, thats enough time to put one to hand. With gun in hand, they are unlikely to make it through the fatal funnel the door represents, at least until I run out of ammo. More than one trying to push through, burst fire into the fatal funnel, they'll fall and stack themselves up at the threshold or get the message to go around back and knock like a normal person would.

I believe my locks/doors are going to give me that 2-3 seconds to put gun to hand. If they miss their mark on timing, I may not even have to sit up from the recliner.

:redface:

·
Registered
10,303 Posts
From the various stories I've read on them, it seems that two or three is most common, 1 and 4+ are fairly rare.

To me the bigger question is how motivated they are. I don't recall any stories of home invaders sticking around after one of them gets shot; they're probably looking for an easy score, not a gunfight. I suppose there are probably exceptions, and for those cases higher capacity is a good thing, and a rifle or shotgun far better. But if they're walking into gunfire to get at the homeowner, it's probably a hit, not a robbery, IMHO.

·
Banned
1,995 Posts

Try this............

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've seem people put a heavy duty version of a door latch --- the kind that lets you open the door about 4 inches to see and talk to whoever is there.

But put it up about 7 feet above the floor.

A good kick at the level of the door knob would break the deadbolt, but given the flexability (springiness) of most doors the 7ft high latch would probably hold.

It won't hold for long, but would likely require a couple more kicks and give a few seconds more warning.

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
It may be only one BG, but be prepared for two to three. Usually in the dark hours.
I have a long narrow corridor that funnels to the master bedroom which is back-lit by the kitchen lights (always on).

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
I've seem people put a heavy duty version of a door latch --- the kind that lets you open the door about 4 inches to see and talk to whoever is there.

But put it up about 7 feet above the floor.

A good kick at the level of the door knob would break the deadbolt, but given the flexability (springiness) of most doors the 7ft high latch would probably hold.

It won't hold for long, but would likely require a couple more kicks and give a few seconds more warning.
Good luck kicking in my out swinging security doors. I could likely make a ham sandwich and watch an episode of Seinfeld before they gained entry to the actual front and rear doors.

That puts them standing in a fatal funnel for quite some time. Plenty of time, in fact, to dial 911 and order some body bags and a meat wagon. If you haven't taken the time to consider and then harden your home, well, forethought goes a long way. People that don't have sufficient quantities of it are left more vulnerable than necessary.

·
Banned
1,995 Posts
If you watch the vid....these guys are in Fast....Bang, the doors breached and like a tactical team they're in....if you weren't carrying, you'd wished you had been....IMO.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
If you watch the vid....these guys are in Fast....Bang, the doors breached and like a tactical team they're in....if you weren't carrying, you'd wished you had been....IMO.
Obviously, the homeowners haven't any forethought to securing their homes properly from this type of crime. Both decorative steel security doors installed was just over 600.00. They give me enough time to make a sandwich and watch a 1/2 show-- or they give me enough time to grab the shottie, call 911, don the earmuffs and warn them off with some #4 buck.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
my dogs can detect a cat walking on wet grass 50 yards away in the middle of the night and nothing gets by their radar during daylight. They give warning with ample time to gear up for BGs 24/7. EDC + 12ga riot gun is enough.

·
Super Moderator
50,609 Posts
I'm retired so I'm almost always home during the day. If the wife is out and about, it looks like the car is gone and an easy target for afternoon entry.
It may be an easy entry, but the exit may get complicated.:comeandgetsome:

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
The past several years have seen a distinct nation-wide trend in an increase of 2-3 home invaders working together. But they also often come in the middle of the day, hoping to find everyone gone at work.

Two years ago in June, I had two guys case my house about 10 in the morning. My 12 year old grandson came around the corner of the house and spooked them and they quickly withdrew.

Reactions: AzQkr and OldChap

·
Banned
1,995 Posts
Quote: "I'm retired so I'm almost always home during the day. If the wife is out and about, it looks like the car is gone and an easy target for afternoon entry".

Same here...........it's Me, Col. Colt and Otto.

Reactions: OD* and OldChap

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
In my area at least, it's usually two to three tops for invasions. Although there really aren't that many armed ones and that's even over in Louisville, KY. Of course over there you're less likely to get invaded and just straight up shot in the driveway. I've heard of it in the past, but I can't remember seeing any reports of 4+ people recently. I guess it's like all crimes, it just depends on where you're at and what neighbors you have. I always have a gun holstered to me, and even if I didn't, I'm never more than a couple of feet from one. I think I'd make an annoying target because no matter where they try to chase me in the house, there's a gun waiting for me. And yes, I am that guy who uses the restroom and showers with a gun next to me. :biggrin2:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts