Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 271 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is something that I have been thinking about for awhile. How many of you out there carry with a round in the chamber? I talked to several current and ex cops who say that it is not necessary and they don't do it. One of them is also a DDA who has a CCW.

I have read several posts here that would indicate that there is no time to rack the slide and chamber a round. Thus it would seem important to carry with a round in the chamber.

I have been tempted to do it because it would increase my load to 8 rounds but I am concerned for safety. I carry a Sig 239 and there is no active safety. The DA works great and I have a thumb break on my holster so I am not worried about the weapon going off on accident.

Anyway, I wanted to get the opinion of the more experienced CCW'ers. Thanks

·
Registered
569 Posts
I carry a Glock 27 with one always in the pipe. Your safe holster is key.

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
Always 1 in the tube. A gun that isn't ready is useless IMO. Alot of cops don't shoot much or really know their weapons , so may not feel comfortable with em loading.
you are already behind the reactionary curve w/ an assault, why slow yourself more?

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Yes - ALWAYS!!

My EDC is the SIG 226 so like you I am safe by virtue of the DA trigger and I have absolutely zero problem with that.

To have to draw and rack the slide is IMO just too much time needed when a situation may demand real quick response.

·
Super Moderator
4,964 Posts
Always. Every time. No exceptions.

A firearm that is not ready to use is not going to help if the worst happens.

Matt

·
Registered
199 Posts
Always!!!

I just recently read an article on this very subject, I wish I could remember where so I could link to it. Anyway the article stated, as most of us know, most altercations happen within 7yards. In the time it would take you to draw your weapon rack the slide and fire, the bad guy would have had, more than enough time to cover that distance. So bottom line, if you don't trust your weapon enough, to carry with one in the pipe, find one that you do trust. I don't meen any offense by that last statement, but your life may depend on that decision someday.

·
Administrator
143,579 Posts
Absolutely One In The Chamber ALWAYS for me.

That would be no matter what make or model of semi~auto I am carrying.

I would not even consider carrying a defensive firearm with an empty chamber.

Just always keep your finger off the trigger & out of the trigger guard & you'll never have a problem with your SIG pistol.

You bought a great high quality firearm from one of the most respected gun makers in the world.
If your firearm is functioning correctly it will never go off all by itself.

If you don't trust yourself then that is a separate and completely different issue but, you can trust your SIG firearm to do its part.

It's quite possible that you don't have total confidence yet in your gun handling ability & so (should THAT be the case) don't let anyone push you into carrying in any condition/mode that you do not feel perfectly 100% comfortable with.

Usually, some good "hands on" intense "real world" firearm instruction taught by a qualified professional is a great surefire confidence builder.

You'll be glad that you did and it will be worth whatever the cost.

·
Registered
210 Posts
One in the pipe ALWAYS. To much time, to much noise, to much unneeded movement (attention getter), to much chance of not racking the slide completely under stress, to much of MY attention being taken away from the very threat I'm defending against!!
My carry piece, a CZ 75 PCR (with decocker) is no different than carrying a wheel gun with all tubes filled..IMHO

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Always.

As a non-LEO CCWr if I were carrying less then that means the time I have to unholster, think to manually cycle the slide chambering a round, and then bring my front sight up toward POA could then be argued that the threat was far enough away from me that I'd also had time to retreat to safety and not require use of lethal force...which is a required condition in many states including MA where I am now.

I carry nothing but single action 1911s.
With God's help if ever things get so bad that I deem it necessary to go for my CCW then it had better be prepped and ready to go to work immediately, and not three shakes later upon fumbling & working of its action, which is exactly how it should be and one would expect from a life saving device.

Anything less is IMHO reckless akin to buckling your seatbelt upon detecting an impending collision and trying to do so just before impact.

- Janq

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Always.

If you were a cop around here and carried on duty with an empty chamber, there wouldn't be a warning. You would be fired IMMEDIATELY. No questions asked. No union is going to save your ass for that. Don't listen to stupid cops like the ones you described. Stay far, far away from them.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Of course

I do not see any downside to carrying with a round chambered with a quality firearm and good firearm handling.

I do see a downside to carrying without. In particular, a cop that carries unchambered is (in my humble opinion) not properly duty ready. I have seen enough videos of cops having to draw and fire quickly. No, it doesn't happen every day, but it does happen.

Now, a CCW is less likely to have to draw and fire in one motion, but, it does happen.

Lets put it another way. Revolver carrying. We've heard of the old school who used to carry with the chamber under the hammer empty. That was to prevent it firng when dropped. Your Sig is protected against that with a hammer block. Notice how the hammer is back slightly on your Sig when the pistol is 'at rest'? You cant push it forward because it is blocked unless the trigger is pressed.

Now, continuing with the revolver comparision. Ever hear of people carrying it with TWO empty chambers? One under the hammer and the next round up (the round at one o'clock in most revolvers, though I heard Colts go the other way). This would prevent against accidental (actually, negligent) trigger pulls.

Ever hear of that? No. Doesn't happen. It's no different with your Sig.

By the way, my carry is a P239 also, with one in the pipe.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
+1 freakshow10mm
Stupid cop or he was pulling your leg.
I don't know a single dept. that will let
you carry without one in the pipe.
I almost fired a rookie for that reason.
If your not comfortable with one in the
pipe,get some "GOOD TRAINING"and
a quality holster.

·
Super Moderator
18,098 Posts
Never heard of an academy that teaches cops to carry unchambered.

Things can happen so quickly that there is no advantage to carrying unchambered. If you need to defend yourself, what are you goin to concentrate on, chambering without fumbling it or the threat at hand ?

Even in the old days when it was common to carry a revolver on an empty chamber, since one had to cock the hammer anyway it didnt matter.

you are giving the advantage to the bad guy when you need it the most...since you must REACT to him anyway.

Not a good thing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I should clarify. The cops I talked to do carry with a round chambered when on duty. One was a cop for 15 years, during which he went to law school. He decided to try the prosecution bit for awhile and needed a CCW.

Anyway, thought I would add that to clarify the question.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 271 Posts