Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never used to carry anything extra just what i had in my firearm but i have been doing more and more reading on the subject and feel its probably best if i carry extra ammunition on me. The way i feel is i should always have at least 20 rounds on me if not more. Do you think this is a decent enough amount? I figure for my Glock 32 i will carry an extra mag plus the one in the weapon which makes 2 mags with 13 rounds a piece. For my SCCY i would carry the mag in the gun plus an extra mag at 10 rounds a piece. For the XDS a 7 rounder in the gun plus 2 5 round backups. All of these also have the one in the chamber. What do yall think?

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
I generally just have one spare mag with me. Admittedly that's probably not ideal when I'm carrying my Beretta Nano since I only have 9 in the gun and one 6 round mag as backup. If I'm carrying my USP9 at least then I have 16 in the gun and 15 in a spare.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
As I've said before...I think somewhere in this forum...no extra mags for me. If I need more than the 8 rounds I have in my Shield, I'm in more trouble than not having extra mags.

Reactions: ehamill

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Generally 2. Unless I'm packing something small and light due to attire, then 1.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Couple of tuff strips I load them two space two. I can drop two at once than two really fast and stay in fight.

·
Super Moderator
50,612 Posts
Usually only one, which is for malfunctions, not extra ammo. My Glock-36 gives me 6 + 1, and another mag with 6...plenty!

Unless I'm traveling to Jax or Orlando...then I take two extra mags.:yup:

·
Banned
1,029 Posts
I've always carried at least one xtra mag.I have a GL23 and carry a spare.You just never know what may happen.As long as i've carried,i've never needed one mag,thankfully.As the saying goes,better to be safe than sorry.

·
Premium Member
39,108 Posts
Usually two extra mags.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was just thinking about this. I only carry my xds. No spares, it's been 100% since new and is great. I simply don't have room on my person. Being a younger guy who wears athletic clothing, it's hard enough to conceal a gun. I've debated tossing a spare in my pocket.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Always atleast one extra with either my 27 or 23C Glocks.

As much ammo as I can conceal.

I don't have a crystal ball to tell me how much ammo I could need in a fight.

In God and Glock we Trust

·
Registered
9,345 Posts
I should have bought a Spare extended magazine from Ruger for my SR40C before the supply dwindled, No I am not sure what the backorder time is. I carry a 9+1, and a 15 round as the spare.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I also carry one xtra mag (vertically) for my G23, for malfunction purposes, not so much for the rounds.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I can only afford to carry one for right now. However, I would like to carry two extra 15 round mags, for a total of 45. I would also have an eight round back-up handgun in my pocket.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Is this not a sticky yet? A new "do you carry/how many spare mags"? Starts every week or more frequently. Being that I am obnoxious, I will continue to answer them as they appear. :rolleyes:

I generally carry one spare mag for my G23 in a Dale Fricke horizontal carrier and sometimes a second spare in a pocket depending on pants/shorts. Not only for the standard answer of "for malfunctions", but I also believe the typical threat faced today is not what it was in the past and the extra rounds may be necessary in todays type of encounters where you see multiple assailants ambushing a mark or wilding/organized mass type events. If my mag runs dry I don't consider myself lost or finished or in more trouble than I can handle. I will simply reload and continue to fight as threats appear until they stop, retreat, die or I bleed out. The old statistic of three shots at arms length is not only a misconception it is false. Because I am a law abiding person I don't get to choose where, how, and when I fight; I meet the threat some miscreant or miscreants create so I prepare and train for many different encounters.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It depends on what I'm carrying. If it's my full sized - no spare; compact - one spare (7rds); snubby - two speed strips (5rds).

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I carry 1 extra mag in my pocket unless I don't have enough room in my pockets, then I'm riding with just the ammo in my gun.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts