Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have the huge selection of firearms that some of you do, so when I go to the range I usually take just about everything I have which would be a total of 5 pistols and 3 rifles. Most of the time I'm with my son and we start out on the pistol range taking turns shooting a couple hundred rounds total, then head over to the rifle range to run a couple mags through each of the long guns.

We each have favorites that get most of the attention, but we usually shoot all of them at least once or twice. Obviously as the collection grows it won't be feasible to take everything.

I spend probably half my time shooting my EDC as I feel that's the most important, but I still like to shoot different guns.

I am fortunate to have an outdoor range fairly close that is accessible to me 24/7 and seldom crowded so I go about once a week other than in the winter. I can't afford the ammo to go any more than that.

I'm curious as to how others plan their range trips, especially those with a large selection of firearms. How do you decide which ones get to go and which ones have to stay home? Do you try to rotate them so that eventually they all get a turn?

A lot probably depends on what you see as the purpose of range time. Some will only be concerned with honing their skills with their EDC and might not worry much about shooting anything else. As for myself I see that time as recreation and mainly want to have fun. Honing my skills is more of a fringe benefit.

·
Premium Member
4,066 Posts
It depends greatly on the range I am going to and the amount of time I have to shoot.
Could be anything from 1 gun to usually 4 or 5 max if spending the day there.
Usually if I am testing a new to me firearm I just limit it to that new one so i can concentrate on becoming familiar with it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
On average three handguns. I tend to focus on my defensive handguns so the semiautos will make 2-3 trips then the next time will be revolvers for fun shooting. When I hit the rifle range, one centerfire deer rifle and one or two .22 rifles.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I'm curious as to how others plan their range trips, especially those with a large selection of firearms. How do you decide which ones get to go and which ones have to stay home? Do you try to rotate them so that eventually they all get a turn?

A lot probably depends on what you see as the purpose of range time. Some will only be concerned with honing their skills with their EDC and might not worry much about shooting anything else. As for myself I see that time as recreation and mainly want to have fun. Honing my skills is more of a fringe benefit.

I go to the outdoor range (3 minutes from my house) twice a week and I usually only take whatever my carry gun is that day, which 98.7% of the time is a snubby of some flavor. My rifle tags along 3 or 4 times a year.

I'm only there for about 30-40 minutes at a time and just do a few drills that work in conjunction with the dry fire drills I do at home. I do have a lot of fun each time.🙂

·
Super Moderator
18,337 Posts
These days I generally take the firearm that is to be the focus of the range outing and an additional .22. I may dust off the .22 or may not, but it's along just in case.

I shoot rifles more often than I do handguns on the range trips. The .22 is a rimfire example of either the rifle or handgun that I am concentrating on.

Unless I'm in a hurry, I'll at least briefly shoot my chosen carry handgun before gathering up to return home, but I don't really consider that one part of the guns chosen for the range session.

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
It depends. Our county owned range is set up for rifles and pistols, although people can and do shoot shotguns and ARs frequently in the pistol bays. If I am practicing with my hunting rifles, I usually don't take anything else to shoot, although I will have my EDC with me at all times. If I am going to shoot pistol, I might also have an AR or shotgun with me.

If I am going to shoot pistol, I may have more than one, but 99% of the time they will be the same caliber, 9mm. However, usually I will focus on one pistol a day.

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
My range visits are pretty much either all rifle, or all handgun. The exception to that is my EDC, which gets some exercise with every range visit.

·
Registered
985 Posts
If I am alone, I rarely take more than one or two. If my son and/or son in law are with me, we will have an assortment numbering around eight or ten guns including handguns, various .22's, maybe a shotgun or two, and always my "Mare's Leg."

·
Registered
699 Posts
Usually I take 3 or 4 but 5 is the max. Only having normal access to indoor ranges time is money so I don't want to waste it switching between guns, plus I think it is good to focus on only a few rather than bring everything and the kitchen sink.

I always take some flavor of 22 LR along for general plinking and my EDC with maybe something else like a Blackhawk for fun.

·
Registered
34,734 Posts
It depends. If I'm shooting rifles, it's one. I shoot 50-100 rounds and am then ready to leave. It takes a couple of hours to do that (no mag-dump blasting away at paper for me). Handguns is usually one, but on occasion, I'll take two of the same caliber. I don't spend all day at a range. I accomplish what I set out to do and leave.

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Registered
152 Posts
It really depends on what I'm focusing in on. Been out 6 of 9 weekends so far this year. This last weekend the Mrs continued her focus on shooting the P238 that will be her carry gun. I'm working on chronographing (if that's a word)my hand loads & checking function & accuracy of them along with working on drawing & firing from concealment with my EDC, then just having some fun with Tommy.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I always take a 22LR pistol and a 22LR rifle.

In addition to the 22's, it depends on what I am doing. Is it just a fun range trip for some plinking or am i there to work on something specific. I generally have at least one or two other pistols and maybe another rifle.

·
Super Moderator
19,304 Posts
I used to take everything I owned to the range. Nowadays I don't take any more than I feel like cleaning when I get home! Typically just 3-4, unless it's a "show and tell" desert run with friends when we show off the newest acquisitions, or we're introducing new shooters to a variety of guns.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Unless I am doing comparisons, I usually will only work with the one I am carrying that day. And since my range is my back yard, I do some type of work every day with my carry gun which is usually a 1911.

·
Super Moderator
18,337 Posts
I used to take everything I owned to the range. Nowadays I don't take any more than I feel like cleaning when I get home! Typically just 3-4, unless it's a "show and tell" desert run with friends when we show off the newest acquisitions, or we're introducing new shooters to a variety of guns.
That was me in the olden days. Get 'em all out to play!

Only thing is, I'm OCD about their cleaning and maintenance and grew tired of cleaning, in some cases for just for a few rounds expended.

Love shootin' 'em.

Don't enjoy cleaning 'em.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts