Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about the first step towards home security lately, and think that it makes alot of sense to have a home security system, like brinks, broadview.....
How many of you have them? Are they worth it? Are their issues when you have pets?

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Are their issues when you have pets?
Yes....with the right pet, you won't need an expensive security system. (I always tell the truth the best I can)

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
My eight legged alarm system has kept us and the house safe for the past 15 years. When they go I'll get me a 4 legged system - a Rhodesian Ridgeback:)

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I have an ADT system. While we had it monitored we never had a problem. I got rid of the land line phone and still use the system unmonitored.
If you have pets, like I do you might choose a different option than a motion detector. I chose a glass-break sensor instead, thinking there was a good chance a 150 pound dog roaming the house could trigger a false alarm.
After 5 years of having the system(4 years monitored) I am happy with it. Happier yet that it has never been activated.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
My dog will scare off more intruders than any home security system. But they do offer another layer to your security.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Pets an set off the motion detectors so be carefull

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have a mini poodle, he is a very good alarm system. He couldn't really stop a BG, but his bark may make them think twice. but I meant to use also when we aren't home as the dog is crate-trained?

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
We have a mini poodle, he is a very good alarm system. He couldn't really stop a BG, but his bark may make them think twice. but I meant to use also when we aren't home as the dog is crate-trained?
What's a security system going to do for you when you're not at home? My pet's not going to stop a BG either, he's just going to let me know when I need to.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
The only bad thing I have to say about the security systems is that as an LEO, I've dealt with a lot of 'em. Some are better than others, but more often than not, the response time created by the monitoring "service" leaves a lot to be desired.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What's a security system going to do for you when you're not at home? My pet's not going to stop a BG either, he's just going to let me know when I need to.
Well, it would clue in LEOs....

The only bad thing I have to say about the security systems is that as an LEO, I've dealt with a lot of 'em. Some are better than others, but more often than not, the response time created by the monitoring "service" leaves a lot to be desired.
That was another thing I was wondering, I thought there would be a delay!

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
I know someone who has a rather elaborate security system. There are perimeter detectors, glass break detectors, motion detectors. All well and good except you constantly have to be aware of how the thing is set before you open a window, open a door, etc. I think the thing is a nuisance that doesn't offer the level of protection that 2 good dogs would.

That said, I think my cable company is going into the security alarm business.
Anyone get their alarm system from the Cable company?
I hear they'll bundle it with internet, phone, and TV.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
i don't have one, they are a wast of money. got one at the office and several inside rooms allso have their own system. if we set one off it takes over 5 minutes before the company calls to see what is going on. and then you got the responce time of the police. it takes the police 20 to 40 minutes before they will come out, if they come at all. one of my neighbors has one will a loud alarm. it goes off all the time when they are not home and the police never show up. his dog must sets it off. a bad guy can take a lots of stuff from your house in the time it takes the police to show or the time it takes the company to call to see what is going on.

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
Can't speak for burglary, but the recent fire in our storeroom worked like this.........the smoke alarm immediately sent a signal to the monitoring station:

Their protocol is to contact the FD first and they did, within 20 seconds of receiving the alarm.

1 min and 24 seconds later the alarm service phoned me.

Pretty quick response I thought, though we still had a BIG loss.:blackeye:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
My mother-in-law has her alarm system tied straight to the PD, their response time is lousy for being in the city.

I have the best alarm system in the world. A old lady next door who is nosy as all get out, nothing escapes her eye. Once she is gone, I might look towards an alarm system other then my dogs.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I live in an area that only has County Sheriffs. I can't imagine how long it would take for them to show up at my home after an alarm goes off. I'll stick with my 3 dogs to let me know if something is going on while I am home. And when I'm not home, I'm reasonably sure nobody is going to try to get in!

·
Administrator
143,830 Posts
I do.
The sensors can be set so that pets would not an issue.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I second that comment. One has to know the nearest fire department locations and approx. response times. Is it a manned station or a volunteer FD. Also, are you on a heavily patrolled police precinct with several cruisers. Or, do you live in the outskirts, i.e., one cruiser for a 40 square mile area. The response time could be 30 minutes or more. Do some research before the alarm salesman arrives and you get the 'you should be afraid' speech and that monthly bill.

·
Registered
38,120 Posts
Forget the commercials. All an alarm system does is notify the cops to stand by your burglered home until you arrive to take over. They will rarely arrive in time to intervene.
An alarm may deter kids who thought they might grab a DVD player and run, but the professional burgler will be in and out with the good in a few minutes. I've unintentionally set my alarm off on a couple of occasions and no call from the friendly voice at the monitoring center.
An alarm system is better than nothing, may reduce your insurance a few bucks, but don't expect it to be your "electronic guardian."

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
My $.02:) and it will likely not make security system companies happy.

In my entire LE career I only even responded to one good residential burglary alarm.

I would save the installation and monitoring fee and do the following-
Motion detection lights. Lights, lights, lots of lights, did I day lights?
Part of my job as the breacher for our team was to form our approach plan. The biggest pain in the a$$ was motion detection lights. The farther they are set out to spot from the house the worse it is. Not only is your movement compromised but the light is likely to attract the attention of those in the house and neighbors.

The next thing is a glass break siren alarm. These are great. Sound does a great job of flipping on the old fight or flight response. Since they have just broken the glass the chance is good that there is nobody to fight, so they flee. This is very common with commercial alarms. If there is more than one intruder it also limits their communication.

Don't get me wrong, I do like alarm companies for their stickers. Next time you see one of the vans out and about give the guy $20 and get some alarm stickers, better yet, yard signs.

There were several times that we would do a search warrant on a residence and their alarm would go off. The alarm would go from their phone line, to the monitoring center, to our dispatch, and out to patrol. By the time this happened a 10 man team had made entry to the house, cleared it, had everybody in custody and turned the residence over to detectives.- George

1 - 20 of 71 Posts