Defensive Carry banner

Tired of questions about Glocks and KBs?

• Yeah...I've had my fill of those threads, but I somehow keep reponding to them

Votes: 36 45.0%
  • The issue of Glocks and KBs will never dissipate due to doubts

Votes: 12 15.0%
  • Glocks and the issue of KBs is around to stay forever

Votes: 12 15.0%
  • KBs in Glock pistols no matter what the statistics should always be addressed

Votes: 20 25.0%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I have, and I've actually had a KB in a Glock! Just for reference....it was the ammunition. I've also had my fun playing into the hype over it all every now and then. I know this won't end, just the same as the Glock's lack of any external manual safety that seems to be of concern to many. Get in front of the learning curve and buy something else in the way of a PD pistol if you can't trust yourself or a Glock to be safe in your possession and not injure yourself with one. You'll be better off without the doubt in your mind. Besides....if my Glock explodes in my hand, I'm thinking plastic might not go as deep as metal would, and maybe I could keep the incident out of the newspapers without the need to seek emergency medical attention. Is my post too tinted with sarcasm here?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Silly Wabbit! Tupperware is for the kitchen!! :rofl:

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
Maybe we should have a separate thread category for Glock problems? NOT...:rofl::rofl:

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
Ram Rod,

I too have experienced an ammo related KB in a GLOCK. Cheap guy that I can be at times, I bought cheap ammo from a small manufacturer that I hope will not get any bigger. I am convinced that if it had been a "traditionally constructed" gun I would be typing much, much slower.

With that being said, I think that the discussion of problems, or even perceived problems, is always a good thing. I do not think that the issue will ever go away, but if cool heads and common sense persevere, perhaps people can be educated.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
With new gun owners coming of age all the time, I too believe it's gonna be around forever. It's good that there's sites like this one out there to quell the rumors as to the cause, and to add some insight to the new shooters. I guess it's the downside to the internet and misinformation. :hand5:

GBK

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Never had one myself, but a shooting buddy has, and I've seen the case my with my own two beady little eyes...and it was the ammo (a reload).

Both he and the Glock were uninjured.

Unfortunately, it's one of the non-issues that people like to make into an issue. And it's here to stay...

But I am tired of hearing about it, and maybe, someday, I'll finally just stop responding.

But not today...:wink:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I think "kabooms", regardless of the manufacture of the firearm should be made known, as well as all circumstances involved.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I'm always interested in KB stories... I guess I never realized they were supposedly more likely in a Glock... I guess Glocks eat more bad ammo than the other makers...

·
Registered
809 Posts
Its a combination of factors. Glocks, being as popular as they are, are more likely to have a kb because there are more of them. More guns, more ammunition fired equals greater number of problems (not necessarily a greater percentage of problems).

The single most popular Glock in the LE community is the 22 (I have no idea which is most popular on the retail market, but it wouldn't surprise me if a .40 S&W version was the most popular for carry, the 9mm might be the best seller given its use in competition). The .40 S&W, given the nature of its design, and the nature of the design of the feed ramp in .40 S&W Glocks lends its self to the kb more than the other chamberings.

The kb I experienced was with a Glock 22, and the brass failed right at the 6 o'clock position where its not supported by the chamber. That seems to be the most common location. I was shooting commercial remanufactured ammunition, which means used brass. I am sure that contributed to the problem. The failure didn't appear to have anything to do with the quality of the ammunition in question (other than the brass being reloaded). Brass wears out, and when it is fired multiple times in an unsupported chamber (such as the Glock's) it tends to wear out faster. It appears that is exactly what happened in my case. I wasn't seriously hurt, but the magazine was blown out the bottom of the gun and I had a bruised hand for a couple of days.

I would imagine that most of the kb's we hear about are ammunition related in some way, but the design of the larger caliber Glocks' (.40, 10mm, .45 ) chambers exasperates the problem. Firing only new ammunition the guns should be fine, brass is unlikely to fail due to the unsupported chamber on the first firing.

One of the many reasons I don't care for the .40S&W is the pressure it operates at and its sensitivity to brass life and bullet set back. I don't feel it offers anything that can't be done just as well or better with a 9x19 or .45 ACP. Unfortunately it appears that my department is going to continue to require me to carry one. Luckily we only use new ammunition.

·
Administrator
143,811 Posts
There are always new people gaining an interest in firearms and getting into self-defense.
They use the Internet to research various suitable firearms (of course) inclusive of GLOCK firearms.

Information on the Internet stays around and lingers forever on the NET and so they read the Internet KaBoom stories and it is all new to them.

Naturally that prompts questions and they seek answers from more experienced and seasoned people. They find a forum like DC and lurk for a while and see that members here are knowledgeable.

Those would be many of us. They have questions and they ask those questions.

And....if you get tired of seeing the same stuff posted over and over again - try being a forum moderator for a year or two. :biggrin2:

We sometimes delete or "merge" at least as much as what members actually see.

We are ultimately here to help new people though even if stuff gets repetitive.

Sort of like being a school History teacher. The History basically stays the same but, every year a brand new batch of students.

It gets awfully "old" to the teacher but, it's all quite new and fresh to the students.

That's pretty much the way I keep it all in perspective.

·
Registered
127 Posts
And while we're at it, I'm sick and tired of the "Rohrbaugh is ridiculously overpriced, and (gasp) you actually have to MAINTAIN them" threads, too.

They're a handbuilt, limited production pistol built with a single purpose in mind. They're HALF the price of a custom 1911, but people still complain that they're more than twice as much as a KelTec.

Like Glock KBs, the vast majority of posters to the threads have no hands on experience and put way too much faith into what they read on the internet.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I understand. Every once in a while I'm prompted to look at the big picture once again. Over time, it can be rather easy to loose track of it. I'm back with it now....thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
I think "kabooms", regardless of the manufacture of the firearm should be made known, as well as all circumstances involved.
I totally agree. You'll never hear me trashing Glock because I have tons of respect for their reliability and for the technologies they pioneered, namely the polymer compounds.

BUT..... ALL safety-related information needs to be out there, even if we sometimes get tired of reading about it.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I kind of like hearing these stories. Not to beet down Glocks, but to let me know if a part fails after say....25 thousand rounds. I see it as heads up.

I like Glocks. Their good high quality guns. And I'd trust my life to my G27. I'm sure leading up to a KB, some part fatigued, or failed. These are things I like to know.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The poll is missing one answer:

The KB and the GLOCK is an internet myth. They do not KB any more than any other gun, and normally is the fault of reloaded ammo.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I guess it really doesn't bother me like it does folks that are Glockaholics. I haven't had any issues with the wife's Glock or the other ones I have shot.

There will always be people who will ask questions about the reliability of "insert gun", or tales they have heard on the internet. It is no different than folk saying that 1911's are bad cause they are picky ammo eaters, or folks that don't like the Taurus guns I carry because of some reason or another. Or folks that don't like guns without manual safeties because they are unsafe only relying on keeping your finger off the trigger.

If Glocks, or any other manufacturer of firearms produces a gun that is inherantly unsafe, or generally a piece of crap, they won't be in business very long. The fact that Glock is so widely used and respected basically refutes any internet hype against their safety.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The problem with KB stories is the ones telling the story is only telling part of it. Glocks do not KB if you don't use reloads, this is weekend brass. You can use +p ammo all day long, I have owned glocks since they were born, and have 25000 documented rounds thru one and I have had 0 problems. As a glock armorer I suggjest leaving it stock with the factory barrel. It's no longer a glock if you change everything with someones aftermarket parts. (if their stuff is so good why don't they make the whole gun) Wilson combat being the exception.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
People love to hate and people love to defend, either way, I dont mind reading it, but I usually dismiss about 95% of what I read about negative spins on Glocks anyway, their reputation is just too solid....whether from my shooting experience or from their storied history to date.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Though I'm about sick to death of "kaboom" threads, I think a new to Glock person needs a place to go to allay their fears and what better place than DC? :wink:

Let's also not forget the needs trolls have! :rofl:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts