Votes: 110 38.2%
  • My ears are ringing all the time

Votes: 147 51.0%
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you gotta ask what Tinnitus is, then you probably don't have any, lol. I'm just curious to see what percentage of members here have some hearing loss and/or Tinnitus.

I have some pretty good ringing in my ears, I'm sure it's from shooting in my younger days with no hearing protection.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
Tinnitus

Not at all certain it is from shooting. My mom had it really bad later in life and was never exposed to excessive noise.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Huh? I couldn't hear you!
I think I am experiencing a hearing threshold shift, based on my own perception, but oddly, my hearing still seems to be better than most. (I used to have what my wife deemed "superhuman" hearing).
Mine is from years of sirens and cumulative effect. I always wear hearing protection when shooting.

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
Left ear almost deaf, right ear isn't so good.

I shot my share of big guns in the Coast Guard (20mm, 50-cal, & 5" cannon). Although I'm told that most of the hearing loss is due to years of monitoring hailing & distress frequencies @ high volume (back then the only way to hear a faint distress call was to crank everything all the way up and flinch when you got blasted by someone nearby).

·
Administrator
144,135 Posts
Shooting related Tinnitus.
It was terrible for years but, it's lots better now since I've been staying on top of it with daily Green Tea Concentrate ~ Combination White/Pink Noise & the proper vitamin supplements.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Fell asleep on a night live firing exercise with the Territorial Army (bit like your National Guard) in 1988.
I’m sure you ex forces guys know what I’m talking about, lying up in wait for a couple of hours, well we slept!
Flare went up :ahhhhh:to start the attack, and we opened up!!
No ear defenders (took them out to sleep) and we had the 7.62 SLR then, it made a hell of a clang when the working parts shot back, couldn’t hear for 3 days!!!
46 now and I cannot hear certain sounds, not as bad as some though:stups:
My mother in law (64) was a telephone operator, her hearing is really bad.........

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Um...so far, perfect hearing. But...I'm kind of OCD about ear protection at the range, at concerts, and I'm always turning down the radio and TV.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Occasional tenitis.

But it might be just as much from my bike as from shooting.

On a side note, are those electronic muffs really worth the extra money?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Lost a big chunk of hearing from when I worked on jets, and got Tinnitus from that too.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yes...and ENT told me that it could be a number of factors, including genetic. So I asked my dad, who I know has some hearing loss, do you have a ringing in your ears ever? Yes, was his reply. Since when? He wasn't exactly sure, but said probably around age 30. That explained a lot for me. The ENT said it may or may not be something that could be helped, and a lot of tests would have to be done to find out. I never pursued the tests...at least not yet.

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
Among a few other foolish things I did when I was younger I sometimes fired off howitzers without ear protection. My ears would ring for days but luckily I don't have any permanent damage to my hearing that I notice. Nowadays I won't even shoot my 22 rifle without ear protection.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i am getting VA disability for tinitus, but it comes and goes (seriously). on bad days I have ringing really bad to where I have to read lips. most of the time I have no issues at all.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Shooting related Tinnitus.
It was terrible for years but, it's lots better now since I've been staying on top of it with daily Green Tea Concentrate ~ Combination White/Pink Noise & the proper vitamin supplements.

This is interesting. :scratchchin: Does the combo of tea and vitamins actually reduce the Tinnitus? Can you maybe post a little more info about the "recipe" for the tea and the exact vitamins?

Thanks

-

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
I think mine is a combination of everything(shooting, heavy machinery, etc...). The shooting didn't help that much is for sure. I have the occassional "ringing" seemingly at random but not frequent enough to be a problem yet. I'm a good deal more careful these days.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Continuous ringing & problems associated with specific frequencies ... sometimes makes it difficult to understand softspoken speech when background noise is involved. Not sure if it is totally the result of gunfire though, plenty of other loud environments probably contributed as well.

Nick

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I've got slight hearing loss and a lot of tinnitus from working on a flightline and flying 53's for 6 years. I'm sure shooting has a little to do with it, but I always wear hearing protection unless I'm hunting.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
24 Years in the military - lots of shooting, prop planes, jet planes, gas turbines etc. and yes I can hear the ringing. Usually doesn't bother me and didn't even notice it until I read this thread. Wife says I have good hearing - if she says so it must be true:).

1 - 20 of 112 Posts