Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious how many Mini-14 shooters are on here ? I picked-up one last spring because I was never overly impressed with the dependability of the M-16A2 I carried in the service. I doubt I would buy it again because I've found its accuracy to not be quiet as good as I had hoped.

I still find it a fun little rifle to shoot. Its light, compact, and just feels good when you put it to your shoulder.

The traditional look is an advantage too as people in my area tend to get alarmed when they see people with black rifles roaming around the countryside.

Its good for what it was intended to be. That being all purpose farm rifle to control coyotes & nuisance critters and defend the family. I can do some of the tactical shooting stuff that my buddies and their AR's are into too.

It was supposed to be my SHTF gun and it is legitimately decent enough that for the moment, I can live with using it in that role.

So how about everybody else ?

·
Registered
400 Posts
I figure if it was good enough for the A-Team, it was good enough for me.

I had a stainless ranch mini-14 with the walnut stock for years, back when you could buy 1000 round cases of .223 for $99 at a gun show. I loved to shoot it. One of the most dependable rifles I owned. It wasn't mean to be a tack driver, so I could see why someone wanting sharpshooter accuracy might be disappointed. Hitting a milk jug at 75 yards was accurate enough for me as I'm one who prefers iron sites over optics.

I got rid of it about 10 years ago when I got rid of most of my rifles. It's the only one that I wish I'd kept, actually.

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've heard people express similar regrets. I've also heard that they used to be called "the poor man's AR".

You gotta admit that in the hands of the A Team it definitely looks cool !!!!!

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Have had three of them over the years. Two standard and one ranch, all were the earlier barrel pattern. Still have a standard model, fair shooter and eats anything I feed it. Primarily gets used as a range toy, but have used it for coyote a few times.

Really wish I had kept the first Mini 14 that I bought on a Sheriff's sale. It was a series 180, the first ones produced. Some of them were military/LE versions and were select fire. Mine wasn't select fire, but what I didn't know at the time was the trigger group was different than the later series and could have been converted by simply adding the selector lever. Definitely would not have been legal to do. Don't even want to think about how much trouble that could cause if a person did it without the proper permits etc.

It got traded to fund my first AR many moons ago.

·
Super Moderator
18,033 Posts
I have one of the very early ones (182- series) and as you mentioned it is not a target rifle but for critter control and plinking it serves rather well. The one major problem I have found with mine is its absolute disdain for anything besides OEM magazines; as long as I use Ruger magazines I have never had a problem with feeding.

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
I have used and like the old GB mini the Gov model ie bayo lugs
but

1. At one point they were the poor mans AR ..Now a mini is at 700 or so ..A ruger ar is like 450 or so ..Yeah ..
2. Ruger wont sell the parts for them all that easy ..AR parts you can buy by the back ..So find a spare gun or buy after market if you are thinking long term
3. The real issue for most is mags even after painc you are looking at min 20-30 bucks for a 20 round ..And you can only buy ruger mags other then maybe tapco nothing really works in them other then OEM .... And you are stuck at 30 max ..AR mags are like 8 bucks each or less and any size you want
4. The early minis had a lot of accuracy issues ..Now fixed some what but left some issues
5. The m16 you carried has changed a lot I would bet .
6.Oh and some still carry the though that bill ruger sold us out for the AWB ban and mag ban back in the 90s just to keep his mini legal .... That did not help

So yeah the mini is a fine gun but now for as much they want for them unless you are in CA or NY a AR is still a better deal in my book ..Or a AK if you want some end of the world bail out gun

·
Registered
400 Posts
I've heard people express similar regrets. I've also heard that they used to be called "the poor man's AR".

You gotta admit that in the hands of the A Team it definitely looks cool !!!!!
When I bought mine around 1995, I think it cost around $389 and a stock AR was around $700-900. Now, it's almost the exact opposite. When I sold mine I told myself that one day I'd replace it with a Mini-30 ranch. A couple of years ago I went to do just that and saw the current prices for them. Nope! I have no idea what caused the Mini's to jump so much in price, but I don't think they're worth $800-1000. I think if I was back on the market for a similar rifle I'd end up getting a scout type.

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have one of the very early ones (182- series) and as you mentioned it is not a target rifle but for critter control and plinking it serves rather well. The one major problem I have found with mine is its absolute disdain for anything besides OEM magazines; as long as I use Ruger magazines I have never had a problem with feeding.
EEEssshhh, yeah I would consider that to be a major problem too. Ruger mags are NOT cheap !!!!! I'm fortunate that mine likes the promags but even with the newer Mini's, seems like its a common complaint.

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The way the Mini's fling the brass, has put me in a couple of interesting situations at the range. Once a few of us were doing some shooting from the prone position. I tried to tell the guy to my right that we should switch spots but he blew me off. Five rounds later I look over as he's frantically trying to comb hot casings out of his beard lol !!!!!

Also, the monthly "fun shoot" event I go to eventually started reserving the two stations on the far right of the line for myself and another Mini user that participate, because its easier that way hahaha

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I bought mine around 1995, I think it cost around $389 and a stock AR was around $700-900. Now, it's almost the exact opposite. When I sold mine I told myself that one day I'd replace it with a Mini-30 ranch. A couple of years ago I went to do just that and saw the current prices for them. Nope! I have no idea what caused the Mini's to jump so much in price, but I don't think they're worth $800-1000. I think if I was back on the market for a similar rifle I'd end up getting a scout type.
That is a BIG difference in price. That's been my experience too on pricing. People want real money for Mini's these days. I got mine last year, new for a fuzz over $700 but it took a lot of looking to get one at that price. If I had to guess, it has much to do with the Presidential election and California gun law. (Ranch Rifles are still California legal and have thus far dodged the "assault rifle" label)

I was seriously considering a Mini-30 but their accuracy is even worse. I consistently read where people were getting 4-5 inch groups at 25 yards. That's about what I can get with 12 gauge deer slugs and I wanted a rifle not a slug gun.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I have a mini-14 and a mini-30 right now. Had to sell a mini-14 last fall to help support my hunting problem. Both of minis spend more time out of the safe than the AR-15. Most likely due to the fact that I want to act out scenes of the A-Team

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have used and like the old GB mini the Gov model ie bayo lugs
but

1. At one point they were the poor mans AR ..Now a mini is at 700 or so ..A ruger ar is like 450 or so ..Yeah ..
2. Ruger wont sell the parts for them all that easy ..AR parts you can buy by the back ..So find a spare gun or buy after market if you are thinking long term
3. The real issue for most is mags even after painc you are looking at min 20-30 bucks for a 20 round ..And you can only buy ruger mags other then maybe tapco nothing really works in them other then OEM .... And you are stuck at 30 max ..AR mags are like 8 bucks each or less and any size you want
4. The early minis had a lot of accuracy issues ..Now fixed some what but left some issues
5. The m16 you carried has changed a lot I would bet .
6.Oh and some still carry the though that bill ruger sold us out for the AWB ban and mag ban back in the 90s just to keep his mini legal .... That did not help

So yeah the mini is a fine gun but now for as much they want for them unless you are in CA or NY a AR is still a better deal in my book ..Or a AK if you want some end of the world bail out gun
I agree with everything you've said. As for the mags, I will also add that its only been recently that aftermarket mags were even available. Ruger wouldn't allow them for the longest time and only sold high cap mags to law enforcement.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
I used to have a stainless version of the Ruger Mini-14. Bought it in 1994 and sold it in 2006. I still have its big brother, the Mini-30.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
I'm just curious how many Mini-14 shooters are on here ? I picked-up one last spring because I was never overly impressed with the dependability of the M-16A2 I carried in the service. I doubt I would buy it again because I've found its accuracy to not be quiet as good as I had hoped.

I still find it a fun little rifle to shoot. Its light, compact, and just feels good when you put it to your shoulder.

The traditional look is an advantage too as people in my area tend to get alarmed when they see people with black rifles roaming around the countryside.

Its good for what it was intended to be. That being all purpose farm rifle to control coyotes & nuisance critters and defend the family. I can do some of the tactical shooting stuff that my buddies and their AR's are into too.

It was supposed to be my SHTF gun and it is legitimately decent enough that for the moment, I can live with using it in that role.

So how about everybody else ?
I owned one a number of years back. I played with various hand loads for it trying to find something that would produce marginal accuracy. I never achieved anything that made me consider it an acceptable rifle so I sold it.

It's a fun rifle and the design is rock solid but I see nothing to make it a keeper. Even the "it looks less like an assault rifle" excuse is marginally useless, IMO. First off, who cares what perception it has? Secondly, anti-gun people would object anything that isn't a musket, so my concern for their sensibilities is nonexistent anyway. Finally, if it can't shoot a decent group at a decent rifle distance, its value is greatly diminished for any purpose that might actually call for a rifle so if I honestly have to be concerned with people having some sort of negative reaction to it, yet I might truly have need for a rifle, I'd rather have a good bolt action that will hit my target on its first shot.

All just my opinion, obviously.

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
I like Mini's and have had (2) 186 series one of which was the stainless "A" Team model with the M-14 flash suppressor:35: They were always 100% reliable with factory or John Masen mags. Any other brands of mags were usually a no-go. A lot of large prison systems still use Mini-14's for their tower officers including the jail in the county where I used to work. Back before AR's bcame the default patrol rifle of choice many agencies issued Mini-14's for patrol rifles. IME, the Mini's tend to be a bit more forgiving when run run dry than AR's. Just my .02 worth!

Reactions: G-man*

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I have one of the new series Mini-14's and it has been a great rifle. I use mostly factory mags with it, but I have a couple of 20 rnd. (steel) Pro-Mag magazines that work fine. I hear that the 30 rnd. mags don't run too well, however.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I've got one and love it. The local prisons use them and so do several of the police departments. Mine seems to work with any of the magazines I've used.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts