Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Myself, I have 4 semi's and one revolver to choose from for my needs depending on situations... Have I lost my mind, 5 an overkill? I kind of envy folks who have a one gun/caliber that is a does it all, edc, hd, etc.

I have (x3) 40's, (x1) 357sig and (x1) 38/357mag revolver.

Trying to decide if I need a 45 in my stable, I really can't think of a logical reason for it as my 40's will probably take care of most self-defense needs, right?

Your thoughts and opinions would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Heck, I've got 4 P229's in all three calibers that I have carried at any time. A 226, 227, 220, 239, 230, 1911, a Glock 17, 3 different Beretta 92's, and a CZ75. My only true carry revolver is my Smith 637, but I have carried my 6" Security Six a time or two. Only 7 of those see significant carry time. Most or the time it's my P229SAS in 357Sig.

As you can see, I like some caliber variety.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I switched from .45 to 9mm. Partly because of cost. I can shoot a heck of a lot more 9mm than I can .45 for the same buck. Not that I got rid of anything but I just dont shoot it as much. I could definitely see looking at it from another angle but I feel comfortable with it. Id say if you want a .45 just get one. Its nice to have options!

·
Registered
887 Posts
I haven't been carrying long enough to have an "EDC stable" :frown: I do have a couple of other guns that could be used for carry but I am sticking with my Shield 40, at least for now.

·
Registered
9,677 Posts
Trust me not even close

Wait till you have
22lr/22mag
25acp
32acp
38 s&w
38 special
357 mag
32 long
32 mag
327 mag
41 mag
44 mag
44 sepcial
9mm
10mm
357 sig
40 cal
and so on and so far

then and only then can you start to worry .... :wink:

·
Registered
423 Posts
I like 9mm personally. A lot of that has to do with expense. It costs me a LOT less to spend an hour at the range with my M&P9, and 9mm is a proven effective round for defense purposes. Doesn't mean that works for everyone. If you have several different needs, by all means, have a stable. :) But my 9mm with FMJ for practice and JHPs for SD/HD works just fine for me.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trust me not even close

Wait till you have
22lr/22mag
25acp
32acp
38 s&w
38 special
357 mag
32 long
32 mag
327 mag
41 mag
44 mag
44 sepcial
9mm
10mm
357 sig
40 cal
and so on and so far

then and only then can you start to worry .... :wink:

Crap...:aargh4:

I am not even close, not in the same ball park nor city, county, state or country for that matter... LOL

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
While I have a few pistols suitable for EDC, I don't believe in the rotation or "stable" concept.

I tend to pick a couple that I carry and train with and stick with them exclusively for carry, normally its a double stack "Compact" and a single stack "sub-compact" so I always find myself with the ability to carry something I can conceal depending on the circumstances/environment. So, no "stable", but what I do have is a CCW "evolution" as my training and tastes have changed. They're usually in sets, for instance for a while I carried a:

Les Baer Stinger (CCO:

Paired with a SIG 230SL:

Then I transitioned to a Walther PPQ-9:

paired with a Walther PPS-9:

Now I carry a HK P2000 LEM in 357SIG:

Paired with the same Walther PPS.

Before changing guns I will literally put a 1000+ rounds through a new one running drills before I'm comfortable with it. Once I feel I've "learned" it, then it will go into service.

So although I've got something like 8 or 9 pistols I could easily CCW (23 total handguns), I generally stick with a set pair. Other guys like a rotation etc. but I ind I'm better off sticking with a couple pistols that have similar controls. I reload for just about all common defensive pistol calibers, so ammo cost doesn't phase me, but I still pretty much stick with 9mm because it's easier for my to control for multiple targets, left handed etc. Although the 357Sig is starting to grow on me.

Chuck

·
Registered
531 Posts
I only have 3 at the moment. A Sig P320 Compact for heavy days, Gen 4 G26 for in between days and a No Thumb Safety 9mm Shield for light days. Been working out pretty well with this line up.

·
Registered
368 Posts
A .380, 2 9mm's, a .40s&w and a .45. Variety can be a good thing.

·
Premium Member
3,841 Posts
I prefer to stick with 1 EDC (XDm 45 C) and 1 BUG (LCP) for consistency and because I don't have the time to train with a stable of guns. With this said, I have a couple of 9mm's and a .357 I can and do carry depending on circumstances. So my carry 'rotation' includes 5 guns in 4 calibers.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I have summer carry and winter carry.. essentially jacket or no jacket carry, that's it. I just cant imagine having half a dozen or more firearms devoted to SD carry. I say that as a person who doesn't really care all that much about guns beyond their function as a tool that I choose to carry. I don't collect guns and I have no safe-queens.

Summer: Glock 43
Winter: Browning HP

Backpacking Gun: Walther PPQ

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Walther PPK, numerous Blackhawk revolvers, Colt and DW 9mm. .38 Supers and .45 ACP....AND a .44 Mag revolver when
I think I need that extra bit of ooomphhhh!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Too many guns? Oh yeah, you'll hear that here. Get real.

I have a G26, a PPQ 9, a Commander, and five HKs. I've pared it down quite a bit.

But there is a j frame in my future.....

·
Registered
401 Posts
I've mostly been carrying a p938 and an XDs 3.3" 9mm, and occasionally my Kimber UltraCarry. (This is only when I'm outside of my home state...the People's Republik...wherever my Utah CCW is valid). I've recently added a G30SF and a G19 to my collection, both of which will be tested to be members of the EDC team. The G19 will definitely make the grade...the g30 is still a question, but most likely will have a limited role...when I feel or judge, for whatever reason, that 11 rds of 45 will be better than 16 rds of 9mm, or 8 of 45 in the Kimber. My guess is that the XDs and the g19 will be the most often carried tools, since they are both reliable and ugly...and whatever scuffing they receive will just add character, instead of detracting from it (as in the beautiful Kimber or 938 Equinox). Finally, I've got a p238 coming in a few days, which will be my running gun until such time as I can move to a gun friendly state and can pick up the lighter LCP Custom.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've gone through a few (642 jframe , M&P FS .40 are both gone now)
Now I'm down to 2
Shield 9mm (most of the time this is what I carry, it's so easy).
Springfield XDM 3.8 .45C. I just acquired this recently but I already ordered a StealthGear FLEX for it.
This will be my Fall/Winter EDC when I know I can leave on a sweat shirt or a Northface fleece.
Still small enough to conceal but ....man packs a punch. Love those big slugs :image035:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've got several handguns in my gun safe, but I have 2 that I primarily EDC. A Shield 9 and a BG380. Which one I carry on a given day depends on weather, clothing, or what I'll be doing. I'd guess it's probably the Shield about 60% of the time.

We have grandkids in the house a lot, so I have a separate small handgun safe in the bedroom that holds 3 plus spare mags. 1 is a M&P 40 with a mounted light, and the others are the EDC's.

·
Super Moderator
16,830 Posts
Being a nut for 1911s and having 10+ they all see carry duty depending on my mood but I do have an affinity for revolvers also so some see duty as EDC when I feel like it.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts