Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of y'all load a combination of solid shot and 00 shot at the same time.
I know Kel Tec makes a dual chambered shottie so you can fill one up with solid shot and one with buck and select which you want to fire.
I was wondering if anyone might start off with a 00 and then have a solid shot or two mixed in.

·
Registered
794 Posts
If I lived in a rural area with no close neighbors I might make different choices. But I live in a city, in a home of frame construction with dozens of other similar homes in close proximity, all of which contain my neighbors' families.

My Remington 870 12-gauge has a 21" barrel with 3" chamber and choke tubes. I keep it in the house with the improved cylinder choke installed and the magazine loaded with 2-3/4" field loads of BB-shot (roughly 90 pellets of .17 to .18 caliber). The longest straight line distance within my home is under 40 feet, and within that distance the entire load of 1-1/4 oz. of shot will never reach a pattern size larger than the palm of my hand. I seriously doubt that an intruder would know the difference between my load and buckshot or slug at that range. I also know, from testing with mock-ups of walls made of sheetrock and siding, that my load may penetrate one wall but it will not have sufficient energy to penetrate another wall.

YMMV

·
Registered
789 Posts
Called Candy Caning, Barber Poling or some such in Multi Gun Competition. Where you stack in shot/slug to engage known targets at a given time. The problem with real life is nothing will be known beforehand! So you may not be able to dump a slug, if you need shot for the situation.

I live in a Rural Area, most likely be a skunk, etc...to least likely a 2 legged varmint so I load as such:
Bird Shot in the chamber, tube loaded with buck shot, on board shell holder with slugs. Leave the shotgun at least 1 down loaded so if I did need a Slug at least I could pop it in, shoot it or rack it in & go.
But then I have a VR80 also, keep 1 - 5 rounder loaded with Slugs, 1 - 5 rounder loaded with Bird Shot & a 10 rounder loaded with Buck Shot.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I loved doubles when I hunted and sometimes would use different loads in different barrels. But at home, I keep a sawed off 12 loaded with shortie #4 Buck so the 100 pound daughter can use it if necessary. My 870 with a short barrel and firesights and screw in choke would have std #4 Buckshot loaded with the i/c and not the xfull choke tube. Slugs just penetrate too much for homes and houses next door. Even with large yards.

BBs sound like a good load for the home. I'd probably trust my turkey shells in #4 shot also. Turned the lights out on a coyote with just a high brass #4 years ago. I'd think it would penetrate much better than bird shot or even #6s. I like #5 for turkeys though. I really don't care for 00 Buckshot with 9 pellets. We had to use that for deer in NJ back in the 60's and patterns were all over the place. That was back before cushioning and hard pellets became popular.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Called Candy Caning, Barber Poling or some such in Multi Gun Competition. Where you stack in shot/slug to engage known targets at a given time. The problem with real life is nothing will be known beforehand! So you may not be able to dump a slug, if you need shot for the situation.

I live in a Rural Area, most likely be a skunk, etc...to least likely a 2 legged varmint so I load as such:
Bird Shot in the chamber, tube loaded with buck shot, on board shell holder with slugs. Leave the shotgun at least 1 down loaded so if I did need a Slug at least I could pop it in, shoot it or rack it in & go.
But then I have a VR80 also, keep 1 - 5 rounder loaded with Slugs, 1 - 5 rounder loaded with Bird Shot & a 10 rounder loaded with Buck Shot.
It doesn't work well in 3Gun either, all it takes is a miss and and make-up, then you're out of synch. Hit a piece of steel with a slug and you're going home early with a DQ. The only times I've done it is when a slug tgt or 2 is up front, or I've loaded division capacity with bird shot, then topped off my slugs at the buzzer while moving.

Real life I'd stick to one load, things get complicated enough without trying to keep track. When I kept a shotgun for HD (no an AR guy), I kept #1 in the chamber and tube and OO HORN TAP on the butt cuff. Nice thing about an AR for HD....30rds of the same old, same old.

·
Vendor
1,540 Posts
I have one 25 round drum fill of 00buck and slugs then another with just buckshot.
One 10 round mag with buck and slugs then another with just buckshot.
It's a vr80 12 gauge, can't leave the mags in the gun but can leave them loaded next to it.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
Patterned my HD shotgun for a specific buckshot load, & that's the way it stays.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Six slugs in the side saddle. Six 00 in the 7 round tube.
First shot my choice with 00 being default.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
In my case because of age, disability, and infirmities I use a 20ga shotgun; specifically a Mossberg® Mdl 500C pump. It has an 18½" cylinder bore barrel. I have it loaded with Remington® 2¾" #3 Buckshot as it patterns the best of any commercially available 20ga Buckshot.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
My Mossberg 930 Tactical (I carried it as a Reserve Deputy) is still the way we carried them in our patrol units: First two are slugs, next up are 00 bucks. More slugs in the side-saddle and more 00s in the butt carrier.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
@retired badge 1 Brother, I gave you a like and I understand your rationale. But if I might add a consideration.

...I also know, from testing with mock-ups of walls made of sheetrock and siding, that my load may penetrate one wall but it will not have sufficient energy to penetrate another wall.
Does your chosen load have sufficient energy to actually reach a vital area and stop a threat? That is an important question, and one I saw answered a couple of times. The worst involved an individual attempting to commit suicide by 12 gauge birdshot. He stuck the barrel under his chin, hoping to destroy his brain and thus off himself. All he managed to do was remove his face. He was assisted to walk out of the hospital a few weeks later, much the worse for wear.

The other unfortunate was shot at about 20 feet in the back with birdshot. That made a gruesome injury. The victim walked into the ER. The surgeon spent 2 hours removing all the shot, sewed up the wound, and sent him home.

You might enjoy browsing through a friend's pages about this:

Here...
https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-3-the-shotgun-meets-the-box-o-truth/

And here:
https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-14-rifles-shotguns-and-walls/

He has some other very interesting examples. Just a thought for you. And BTW, my shotguns are all loaded with Federal LE-132-1B (#1 Buckshot) and I carry Federal 00 Buckshot and a couple of slugs on the sidesaddle. Our department issued the LE-132-1B and Reduced Recoil Federal 00 LE loads for all our cruisers. The SWAT guys had some other stuff, mostly special slugs, sintered iron for breeching and a few others.

·
Registered
794 Posts
@retired badge 1 Brother, I gave you a like and I understand your rationale. But if I might add a consideration.

Does your chosen load have sufficient energy to actually reach a vital area and stop a threat? That is an important question, and one I saw answered a couple of times. The worst involved an individual attempting to commit suicide by 12 gauge birdshot. He stuck the barrel under his chin, hoping to destroy his brain and thus off himself. All he managed to do was remove his face. He was assisted to walk out of the hospital a few weeks later, much the worse for wear.

The other unfortunate was shot at about 20 feet in the back with birdshot. That made a gruesome injury. The victim walked into the ER. The surgeon spent 2 hours removing all the shot, sewed up the wound, and sent him home.

You might enjoy browsing through a friend's pages about this:

Here...
https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-3-the-shotgun-meets-the-box-o-truth/

And here:
https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-14-rifles-shotguns-and-walls/

He has some other very interesting examples. Just a thought for you. And BTW, my shotguns are all loaded with Federal LE-132-1B (#1 Buckshot) and I carry Federal 00 Buckshot and a couple of slugs on the sidesaddle. Our department issued the LE-132-1B and Reduced Recoil Federal 00 LE loads for all our cruisers. The SWAT guys had some other stuff, mostly special slugs, sintered iron for breeching and a few others.
I appreciate your response. I hope that neither of us ever has to deploy a firearm in defense of our homes or families. If the worst possible case presents itself I hope that our families and neighbors come through the event without injury.

As far as the intruder in my home intent upon causing harm to my family, I will gladly settle for a ghastly or horrific wound that puts the POS down hard without unnecessary danger to my family or my neighbors. Whether or not the SOB survives the incident is well down my priority list. If he is able to ambulate himself into the ER under his own power, so be it.

In the context of the current discussion, I am not hunting an animal I wish to kill cleanly and effectively with one well placed shot, I am defending my home and family (with proper consideration for the circumstances which include other homes and occupants in the immediate area). My goal is to put a stop to the threat inside my home and protect my family from possible injury. If that means that the intruder has really good stories to tell his cellmates over the coming years, I am OK with that.

By the way, BB-shot is not comparable in any way to any birdshot load. These cartridges were intended for use on waterfowl at extended ranges (40 yards-plus) and needed the energy to penetrate heavy feathers, downy undergrowth, and several inches of flesh and bone to reach vital organs. At "inside the house in the middle of the night" range those little .17 to .18 caliber balls carry and transfer a lot of energy very effectively.

Your methods and opinions may vary, and you can find any number of experts to support the "perfect solution" for any given scenario. I have found mine, largely based on 2 combat tours in Vietnam and 24 years as a working cop.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
@retired badge 1 I understand. I wasn't trying to sell you on more effective threat stoppers, just making you aware of that which I'm sure you already knew. I live in an area where rounds escaping the house and entering that of a neighbor is not much of a problem. We have enough distance and brick construction to mitigate it for the most part.

I guess I missed the shot load you were using though. I too pray I never have to use anything. I've got enough ghosts visiting my dreams in the night as it is. :embarassed:

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
Its like that old bob seger song Manhattan ie round of bird to start the robber and the last a slug for good luck .

I really really think it would be something supid to do .. I have done it by accident with mag feed guns trying out to see what would run and not ie 1 round was bird then the last was slug ..Problem is you can forgot the order till a 1inc mag slug round bucks you but good ... I think it would be something that would be easily done in a painc moment the tubes on the KSG are that easy to switch .. I say stick with one load that you know how it patterns and such ..Dont play the guessing game .

And they do make some mix load shotgun rouns ie buck and ball or Rhody load ( ie the stuff supposly used in the African bush wars ) light load first then heavy beyond it .. And a number of SD loads are now a larger size buck over normal buck

Reactions: KILTED COWBOY
1 - 20 of 34 Posts