Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have observed before that it really doesn't matter how much ammo you have unless it is loaded in mags where it can be used now!

In light of current events, how many mags for current events? (Thinking S&W Sport II and or pistols)

Current events are different than home defense. For home defense, one or two magazines should be plenty. But now we are facing crowds and mobs and fleeing your home or whatever situation.

How many mags would you consider prudent to have available? Pistol and/or Rifle.

·
Registered
33,976 Posts
There is no qualifiable numerical answer. You need as many as you need. You'd be better off with a fire-support team than a mountain of loaded magazines.

·
Premium Member
3,973 Posts
There’s a great big, that depends in any response. If 28 rounds leave my rifle, outwardly bound with malice and intent, then something has gone very very wrong in my world. With that said, 3 or 4 mags would be handy.

If I lived where last nights behavior was likely to be spilling onto my lawn, I’d be packing the truck right now and not on the forum. With law enforcement being held back and hands tied, one guy protecting his home against a mob is gonna turn out badly for that one guy. No matter how it plays out. Unless a blaze of glory is ones destiny.

Having a backup for the backup is not a bad plan. Staying away from poop heads is a better plan.

·
Registered
488 Posts
It's not a bad idea to have a kit ready to go.
Competition cobra-buckle belt with a handgun holster, and handgun/AR mag pouches (1 AR + 2 pistol) + a plate carrier with mag pouches (minimalist is 3).
Surely if S really HTF, you should have armor.
Hang it up on a steel hanger above this:
https://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products/shooting/tactical-magazine-can-mult-mag.php
Keep your practice magazines loaded.

Frankly, if you are putting on your plate carrier and you're alone, I think you've probably lost anyway. And if you need more than a mag of AR ammo, and you're alone, you probably were better off running away.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
A 40mm ammo can holds thirty 30 round mags. There are two of them under the desk. Is it enough? Maybe, maybe not, but it's a start.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I have 2 spare carry mags for my Shield loaded at all times. If things threaten to get crazy, I'd load up my 3 practice mags with defensive ammo also. If I was in an area prone to these riots (seems only certain communist cities are hit with these types of mass riots) and I had a rifle, I'd have about six 30-round mags full of defensive ammo ready to go, all set in mag couplers.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the inputs and yes, it would be better to leave Dodge so to speak.

Sometimes I get focused on one aspect and don't see the others. That's why I have my wife and you folks.

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
Pretty much the same as always for me! Although having an AC-130 Gunship on standby ought to do it!:AR15firing:

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
I am a little surprised by the "you're toast" sentiment in this thread.

Nobody thinks shooting a few of them would scatter the rest?

Depending on distance and mob size I can see how they would overrun you eventually. But a lot of them could die trying and I think most are really cowards taking advantage of mob immunity.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I don't keep that many mags loaded, nor do I store a chitload of "what if" ammo, beyond what I keep loaded for matches and practice.

Here's what I do keep loaded;

CCW Pistol, 1 mag in pistol, 1 mag spare
CCW Pistol 2, (smaller, easier concealed pistol), 1 mag in pistol, 1 mag spare
HD AR15, 5.56, 1 20rd mag in gun, 2 spare 30 rd mags (doubles as a coyote control tool)

Based on my environment, and risk assessment it's adequate (maybe excessive??). I live 14 miles from a small city/town that's primarily military, retired military, and a bunch of prison guards thrown in. We've got 4 prisons that sort of serve as a reminder to behave. I don't think we could get enough people together to have a disturbance in town, and IF they did they wouldn't bother coming out here. Recently a guy that caused a ruckus got run over by an F150.

Biggest take away in my area from current events is to stay out of KC when it gets close to sunset. Since I can't remember the last time I visited KC, it's not exactly a concern.

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
I staged the AR last night though I doubt the unrest would stretch this far out into the suburbs.

Currently I only have 3 mags for the AR and the same nber for the AK.

I had more mags with my previous AR but I let them go when I sold the AR. I have to learn to not let go of the mags when I sell a gun.

·
Registered
488 Posts

Depending on distance and mob size I can see how they would overrun you eventually. But a lot of them could die trying and I think most are really cowards taking advantage of mob immunity.
I will defer to people from the military who've had to disperse crowds, but I imagine that if a crowd hasn't dispersed after 1 mag of 556, they probably won't.

·
Registered
33,976 Posts

A rioter in a wheelchair would run me down fairly quickly. Either one of two things would happen, in my opinion: Either I won't be here if worst comes to worst, or I will be, and I don't see the sea of rioters parting like the Red Sea to allow me to leave. It would come down to what price they are willing to pay.

·
Registered
405 Posts
My wife and I EDC our respective pistol from sun up to sun down. Then they go on our respective nightstands during the night. We both carry with 1 spare mag. When this Chi Com Flu fiasco started, I loaded up another spare mag for each of us. So far we haven't carried the second spare mag and really I don't see us carrying it now.

We don't have any need or WANT, to go into Pittsburgh and don't see any foreseeable trouble coming into our community, but even with that said - we continue to carry 24/7/365 just like we have for the past 35 years.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts

Not only do I think most are cowards, But I think they believe the Cops won't dare shoot them!
I remember the Asian store owners in the Rodney King riots. They were the only ones not looted! because they shot back! DR

I don't remember them killing anyone, they fired a few rounds and turned the crowds back. The rioters were more afraid of them than the police and Nat Guard!

1 - 20 of 87 Posts