Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,895 Posts
Yes, I number mine on the base pad. Metal mag's, I use a electo-etching pen I aquired when I was a machinist. Other's get marked with an electric engraving tool.

Reactions: ETXhiker

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
So far, none of my Glock mags have failed, even the ones from AWB era of the 90’s.
Do they have the metal sleeve? All of the original mags for my Gen 2 G19 cracked along the back face of the magazine - they were 100% polymer, no metal sleeve.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I feel so inadequate here. I only have 2-3 mags for each gun and none of them are numbered or initialed. But then the range I use most of the time is never busy and I'm often the only one shooting so no danger of getting mine mixed up with someone else's. I usually set up a small table behind the firing line (outdoor range) and keep my pistol case, ammo and mags on it. I don't do rapid fire exercises where I'm simply dropping the mags on the ground in the quest for more speed. When the gun goes to slide lock I put the empty mag on the table and either pick up a fresh one or refill as needed.

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
I have been numbering my mags (even duty mags) with a silver sharpie for many years. As far as it looking "ghetto" I don't really care!
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
If I mark a mag it's because I'm having troubles with the gun and want to figure out if it's the mag. If the gun has no problems the mags aren't marked.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Do they have the metal sleeve? All of the original mags for my Gen 2 G19 cracked along the back face of the magazine - they were 100% polymer, no metal sleeve.
Yes they do. They are all LE / GOV ONLY mags from 1996.

Reactions: ETXhiker

·
Registered
288 Posts
I number and initial all of them. On my 15-22 mags, I make a mark at 10 round, 20 and 25. Different matches only allow you to load so many plus only takes a quick glance to know how many are left or when its full. Had someone pick up a Ruger mag once thinking it was theirs, initials proved otherwise.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I label them to avoid confusion (Taurus 92 and Beretta 92 mags look a lot alike and to differentiate between other double stack nines), but maybe numbering them wouldn't be such a dumb idea! Probably a real good idea.

·
Banned
705 Posts
It's a good idea for reasons that have already been mentioned. I don't think it's ghetto but even if it is so what? You're doing it for a specific reason.

I don't do it because it hasn't become an issue for me yet.

All of my training magazines are MagPul all my carry magazines are OEM Glock

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
I have twenty-eight (28) 1911 mags and more will be added this year. All mags are labeled and numbered for either Duty-use, or Training-only. Three new Tripp mags I bought for evaluation are labeled that way for now. Once I am satisfied they are reliable, they will become Duty #15-17.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't number my mags. I have a carry gun with its mags, and a range gun with its mags. My range mags, are 12 and 10 round mags, and my carry mags are 14 rounds. When I qualify, I use my carry gun and carry mags (quarterly). Since it's the act of compressing decompressing the springs, that wears them out, I don't use my carry mags for regular range days.
On range days, I don't usually load more than 5 rounds per mag, anyway. This is because, I'm usually working on something, and taking time to "mash mags" is a nice little break. I load 5 rounds, because ammo boxes are five rounds across, and even though I'm usually working on something specific, using only 5 rounds allows me to get plenty of mag changes in, as well.
I carry three extra mags, off duty. If one were to go down, during qualifying, I would probably buy a new one(for carry), rebuild the old one(for range), number it, and carry on. That way, the rebuilt mag will stand out from carry mags, and as time goes on, and I have more added to the range mags, I can keep track.
However, I purchased a P220 in 1998, and those mags are still going strong, so I'm not thinking this will be a concern.
If and when, I start taking classes that require thousands of rounds in a day or weekend, I would number and intitial mags, for diagnostic and inventory purposes. I still would keep my carry gun and mags dedicated to carry, though.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I number all of mine for carry guns. Something they made us do at the academy. That said it’s an easy way to trace problems since the majority of issues are magazine related.

ETA: On like magazines which I have multiple calibers I also color fill the calibers. For instance 40/357 mags I color fill so I don’t grab wrong mags for caliber when taking a 9mm.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Red tape for range magazines. Unmarked for carry. And why would anyone use Roman numerals? The X and I don't read well upside down. More space. More place interpretation means slower to read. There are many reasons that number system went out of favor.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts