Defensive Carry banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'd never marked my mags in any way but perhaps I'll start. I was at the range yesterday with a friend who had only ever had revolvers and wanted to try out my semi-autos. There were a couple times when he mixed the mags between my Ruger Security 9 and the M&P Compact 9. Those mags do look almost identical but won't interchange. I'm thinking maybe some marking on the side that's easy to see when the mags are laying on a table.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
As far as I am concerned, there are no "range mags, training mags or finicky mags". There are only "mags that are good to go" and mags that go in the garbage.

What does it cost me to elevate all the hubbub, wasted time, effort and process? eh.. maybe $20 something bucks every few years to replace a troubled mag. $50 bucks every few years if its an expensive mag.

I simply do not understand why someone would want to "manage" a pile of troubled mags, all for the sake of saving $20 bucks every few years. It simply sounds like doing for the sake of doing.

·
Registered
310 Posts
As far as I am concerned, there are no "range mags, training mags or finicky mags". There are only "mags that are good to go" and mags that go in the garbage.

What does it cost me to elevate all the hubbub, wasted time, effort and process? eh.. maybe $20 something bucks every few years to replace a troubled mag. $50 bucks every few years if its an expensive mag.

I simply do not understand why someone would want to "manage" a pile of troubled mags, all for the sake of saving $20 bucks every few years. It simply sounds like doing for the sake of doing.
I agree... I just have mags period. I don't feel the need to put into service all 10-20-30 mags that I own all at once. I only use at most 3 at a time. Plus, it cost even less being that the fix for a formally working mag is an inexpensive spring change.... Even then, if a mag is pragmatic, just put it aside or mark it when the problem presents itself... Seems like a whole bunch of extra effort and complication just for the hell of it. Seems like something that was started via L.E. and the like agencies to keep track of a large number of in use mags for inventory and maintenance purposes, and some civilians with only a handful of mags decided to do the same at home out of habit even though it doesn't make much sense to me...

The only exception that might make sense is if you're using these mags in competition. Where you might bring several loaded mags with you.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'd never marked my mags in any way but perhaps I'll start. I was at the range yesterday with a friend who had only ever had revolvers and wanted to try out my semi-autos. There were a couple times when he mixed the mags between my Ruger Security 9 and the M&P Compact 9. Those mags do look almost identical but won't interchange. I'm thinking maybe some marking on the side that's easy to see when the mags are laying on a table.
Now in this instance, it would make sense to me to mark your mags...

·
Super Moderator
18,994 Posts

Speaking for myself, I will drop , kick step on or otherwise abuse range mags while training. I will not do the same with carry mags. $20 per mag can add up quick that could be spent on other things. Training, ammo ect.

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Speaking for myself, I will drop , kick step on or otherwise abuse range mags while training. I will not do the same with carry mags. $20 per mag can add up quick that could be spent on other things. Training, ammo ect.

… and I think you can do that without marking, numbering, duct taping, writing them in a log or otherwise putting hieroglyphs on your mags so that you can manage it.

·
Super Moderator
18,994 Posts
Just numbered to keep track of any that give me issues. It simple and quick.

Reactions: OD*

·
Premium Member
33,721 Posts
A few years ago I purchased an LEO trade-in Sig P220, an old West Germany model and it came with 8 magazines and all were numbered on the bottom in white nail polish or paint.
I grew to like that system as I could keep track of any finicky mags and fix them or just use them for training mags. I can also write down new spring dates or what not.
I have continued this practice today. Just finished numbering the 7 mags for the newly acquired PPS.

Do any of you do this or is it too "ghetto' to mark up your mags? Or maybe your more discreet and put it somewhere it doesn't show?
I like being able to see it at a glance but, I don't carry any BBQ guns either so maybe that would alter my habit a bit.
I have written "Insert other end first" on mine. Working flawlessly so far.

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
All my mags get numbered. Some get color coded AND numbered!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
So a little more as to the "why" of this.

One, I ran out of yellow tape.

Two, It makes the mags easier to find in grass / sets them apart from other peoples mags.

If you've never been on a relay with 11 other people and everyone is shooting Glock 17s you might not understand that ID'ing your equipment can be problematic.

The higher viz markings is something for my competition/training mags only but follows suit with the rest of my typical EDC items.

The knife and light I use a lot in dark places or in dark interior vehicles. The yellow helps me find them when I set them down.

The yellow band on the pepper spray means its mine and that my wife shouldn't steal it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
As long as I don't have issues with my magazines I don't bother to number them. When one of my X-Bolt magazines started having feed issues, I numbered the three I had. The issue was intermittent, and I finally nailed it down because of the numbering.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
All of my old game gun mags are numbered with an etching pen and some of the others are too. However I hate to admit it but I've become lazy. If I run into a problem the first thing I'll do is become industrious and etch any that aren't numbered.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Only the real good playboy magazines,i number them a 10.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts