Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many reloads do you guys carry CCW? How about HD weapons? I carry 4 rds in my HD Remington 870's tube, 5 on butt cuff, 12 in a military surplus shotgun ammo holder, and 13 rds left in the box in my room. No CCW here in WI.:mad:

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
my HD has a 8 shot mag and a box ole slugs and bbuckshot by it

as for carry guns lately i havent been carrying relaods to much other stuff to carry and handle with all the drs and hosipital visits been carrying 38 a lot lately need to9 carry reloads but no ammo here where im staying for glock 16 10mm should be fine ...

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
ccw 1 to 2 reloads per firearm , hd 1 20 rd mag for fal seems enough

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
CCW: 1 spare 15 rnd. mag for the glock
HD: 870 loaded with 00, 4 in the magazine, 5 in a butt-cuff

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
2 speed loaders for the Sp101 (CCW).
2 spare mags with the P89 for HD. Been thinking about a shotgun for HD after reading some of the other posts, but have a couple of kids, so the handgun safe in the bedroom is what I've got for now.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
copperKnight , allow me to suggest a small padlock just behind the shotty trigger instead of a safe investment you dont want to afford with a couple of kids that way it is physicaly blocked from fireing by anyone who doesnt have the lock key

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
In my CCWs....at least one reload if the magazine is a double stack; two reloads if it's a single stack magazine.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Redneck Repairs said:
copperKnight , allow me to suggest a small padlock just behind the shotty trigger instead of a safe investment you dont want to afford with a couple of kids that way it is physicaly blocked from fireing by anyone who doesnt have the lock key
I'll have to check that out. Currently I have a Mossberg 835 and I'm not sure a padlock would go, but I'll check. If not, I'd be happy to have an excuse to get an 870 or 500 for HD.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
870 at home stoked with 7 - courtesy of extension.

Daily carry 226 often just 15+1 but spare mag goes in pocket any time I feel it is useful!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
13 + 1 in Glock 21, plus usually another 13 rounder, so that is a grand total of 27 rounds of .45 ACP for carry. When I carry the Mod. 65 .357 I carry one speedloader for a total of 12 rounds.

For HD,Rem 870 with 4+1 OO buck and 5 on the butt. If I run out, I'll transition to the sidearm. Gotta get me an extension tube and a sidesaddle though.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Usually carry one reload - revolver or pistol. For HD weapon(s), there's more than one within reach of most rooms - so haven't thought much on reloads there.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I know I should carry a reload, but with 16 rounds in a G19 and not a lot of room left inside my waistband for my fat a**, let alone a spare magazine, I usually don't bother. If I'm pocket carrying the J-frame in cargo shorts, I'll carry 1 speedloader in the front offside flap pocket.

-Paul

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Just want to bring up that the reason to carry a reload for your ccw auto isnt that you are likely to run out of ammo ( i suspect for most realistic scenerios, keeping in mind the actual legal usage we put ccw weapons to ) one load is enough even out of a 5 shot snub . The reason I carry a reload is in case my auto malf's to the point i have to rip, rack, bang . It seems to me awfull nice to have another mag to stick back in the little sucker LOL

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Two reloads for the Taurus... total of 45 rounds for that pistol. No, it's not the round count but the possibility of having to clear a malf and bending the feed lips.

I also carry the .380 as a BUG quite a bit, but I don't want to go to it unless absolutely necessary.

Josh <><

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
depending on my day, and where I am going. I always carry a reload for the 1911. For travel or more risky areas I carry a spare mag for the HK USP.
HD, the AR has 2 20 rnds mags next to it , as well as a vest full & another box of 30 rnd mags.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
PJH said:
I know I should carry a reload, but with 16 rounds in a G19 and not a lot of room left inside my waistband for my fat a**, let alone a spare magazine, I usually don't bother. If I'm pocket carrying the J-frame in cargo shorts, I'll carry 1 speedloader in the front offside flap pocket.

-Paul
you might look at one of these mag-holders from RM holsters (scroll down to where it says "Glock mag pouches). I have two and I really like them. They've got a J-hook so you can put them on/take them off w/o undoing your belt. They also have adjustable tension. Only $15 and the turnaround is great. When I ordered mine, I ordered them on a thursday and got them on saturday.

Redneck Repairs said:
Just want to bring up that the reason to carry a reload for your ccw auto isnt that you are likely to run out of ammo ( i suspect for most realistic scenerios, keeping in mind the actual legal usage we put ccw weapons to ) one load is enough even out of a 5 shot snub . The reason I carry a reload is in case my auto malf's to the point i have to rip, rack, bang . It seems to me awfull nice to have another mag to stick back in the little sucker LOL
+1

·
Registered
376 Posts
Redneck Repairs said:
Redneck - I've heard that reasoning before quite a bit. However, in the thousands of rounds that I have put down the range I have never had a magazine malfunction to the point where I would have needed to revert to a new mag. Maybe I'm just lucky? Strangely enough - I've seen revolvers lock up more often than I've seen magazines break. :theyareontome:

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Joe its not the mag malfunction i am worryed about , but i am not going to attempt to retain a mag if i have to remove it to clear a misfeed , its faster to jeteson the mag and stroke a new on than it is to fumble arround with the partly loaded mag. that is my point , not that the mag may be damaged , tho i have seen damaged mags on the range several times , especialy 3rd party aftermarkets

1 - 18 of 18 Posts