• I Cant Count That High

Votes: 8 9.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For Training and for plinking i havnt added mine up yet but it'll easly crack 10k ill try to add it up later if my headache goes away

·
Registered
835 Posts
Don't really remember

Couple thousand sounds about right, but I don't really remember. If it was more than 5k, then I _sure_ don't remember spending that much on ammo. Let's see, I average something like 75 rounds per range trip, and average 2 trips to the range per month... that'd be 1800 rounds... probably about right.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
My best estimate would be somewhere between 8 and 10 thousand rounds. Which is exactly why i have to reload on the Dillon, otherwise ammo costs would rival the rent.
I am a firm believer that if you are going to carry daily then you have to stay proficient. About half of that ammo is on a static range, the other half is shot in combat practice, ie shooting and moving under stress and time limits.

·
Super Moderator
19,002 Posts
right on with dillon loaders. These babies rock for knocking out ammo. Probably about 6-7000 rnds last year.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
18k easily.

~A

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Ever since the new year started, so basically for one month, I've put myself on a regiment. I'll figure I'll shoot up something between 6 and 8 thousand rounds this year.

Wow. I hadn't really thought about how much more I am practicing since I decided to do this last November. I used to think nothing of going a month without firing a gun, and then I'd fire a whole bunch at once.

I've since learned that just because I shot 1500 rounds a month ago, that doesn't mean I learned anything. It seems that frequently shooting a few hundred (200-400) rounds is much more productive.

I think after the first year or two of this kind of training I'll cut back a little, not on frequency but on total rounds fired.

I have had lots of people advise me that even if I have a bad month where I don't have a lot of cash to practice on, to at least go fire 100 rounds at least once that month just to keep in form.

February may be that month. Insurance premiums have come a callin', and I'm going to be gone two weekends already.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Don't ever become part of the leadership of a club. It cuts into your shooting time tremendously. The past two years have absolutely been the lowest round counts of my life. I did 400 rounds one morning in December which is the only reason I even come close to 1000 in 2004.

-Scott-

·
Registered
330 Posts
I dont really have a routine when it comes to rangetime, as long as I put 100 rounds through my carry gun every weekend. Some weekends shoot a lot more. I've took my 4" Kimber, 5" Polymer Kimber, Colt 1991, and put 100 round through each, one day I put 400 rounds through my thompson (I normally stop at 200), other times I've put 800 through the MP5 rental.

If I had to guess, I'd say at least 10k.

I meant to keep track of my round count this year, but forgot about it until now. Oops.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Scott said:
Don't ever become part of the leadership of a club. It cuts into your shooting time tremendously.
I'm on the board of directors for the range here. Thankfully it's a low, low maintenance gig.

And my 4H instructor time doesn't eat into my shooting time much as I have a tendency to pop off rounds from what I want before and after the 4H session and score some trigger time myself if we have more instructors than students (which happens with some regularity).

As far as number of rounds expended, good god. I average 500-1k a week.
I've had days of 2k rounds. My trunk looks like an arms dealer's warehouse and I know how many cases it takes to get into the very, very cheap UPS shipping range.

I ordered 2.5k of .308 on the first of the year and I'm almost out of that batch, along with the 2k of 9mm that came in on the same order, plus about 750 .44 rounds.

And people wonder why I drive a 18 year old car. :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
For me it use to be about 1,000 rounds a week for almost 20 years. Now I'm down to about 1,000 every month due to work constaints

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
I don't shoot IDPA during the summer months here in South Florida due to a problem with heat stroke in the past. My shootin' season runs about September thru April for competition. When I'm instructing I usually go to an indoor range year 'round. I model technique then critique and shape at those times. So....I'll figure about 1600-2000 rds a year for myself. Maybe another 500-1000 rds in instructional demonstrations, etc.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
"Waltzing".....I think I shoot about 10K a year......BUT playing "Rock-N-Roll"....now that's entirely different......I think I shot an easy 35K rounds last year. That included calibers ranging from 22LR to 308...

·
Registered
615 Posts
I got my CCW permit last year for Texas and hit the range every week with the Beretta at 500-600 rds per trip. I kept that up for about 6 months and rolled back to 300-400 rds per trip til August. Got my Kimber Eclipse and put about 2500 rds thru it. All total, I shot between 16K to 18K last year. This year is way down though....probably 3K to 4K so far. :smile:

·
Registered
940 Posts
I just bought another 5k rounds. I'll go through 2 tomorrow spending the day at the range with some high-cyclic rate friends of mine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I make it a point to take my son out to the desert at least once every other month, and usually some bud's will come along with some of their guns also.
Every time we go I pretty much bring the same amount of ammo: 5 to 6 boxes of 45ACP - a brick of 22.'s - 5 to 6 boxes of 12 Ga. - 5 to 6 boxes of 38.spl and a buttload of AOL cd's as targets (They come in handy for something finally). Been doin' that for about the past 3 or 4 years now.
When I was a subgun instructor at Frontsight, after class they would let us take a 5 gallon bucket full of ammo and let us practice as much as we felt the need, so I can't even imagine the numbers we would go through then.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts