Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many rounds of a new ammo would you fire through your gun before you felt safe that it would feed correctly?

Background:

I'm going to be taking some doubletap 200gr .40 S&W WFN loads into the woods for a week long hike. I have never fired this through my gun before. How many should I run through to ensure it feeds good before relying on it? BTW: The gun in question is a sig P229.

Thanks!

·
Registered
438 Posts
How many rounds of a new ammo would you fire through your gun before you felt safe that it would feed correctly?

Background:

I'm going to be taking some doubletap 200gr .40 S&W WFN loads into the woods for a week long hike. I have never fired this through my gun before. How many should I run through to ensure it feeds good before relying on it? BTW: The gun in question is a sig P229.

Thanks!
I would personally feel safe after the first 100 or so rounds. But I suppose that number will vary greatly from person to person.

Its been my experience that FTF/FTE happen more during break it periods. So if you get through there you should be OK.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My initial response was going to be 200 rounds of the self defense ammo you plan to carry. That said, you're carrying a P229. I've had tremendous success with my Sigs. They have all reliably shot whatever I've fed them. Always. And there really isn't a "break in" period with the classic Sig line. So, I'd probably think you'd be ok shooting a box of 50 self defense rounds and 100, or so, FMJ rounds. If you have zero problems with that, you'll probably be good to go.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should add that the gun has shot about 500 rounds of FMJ and Speer gold dot without a single FTF or FTE.

I guess my question is around the new +p heavy load. I planned to shoot about 100 rounds and call it ok to trust. The round are pretty expensive at around a dollar a piece so I want to try and minimize cost if I can.

·
Registered
261 Posts
With 500 already thru the Sig and flawless, imho, 100 of the new type ammo and if no FTF or FTE, I'd be comfortable and confident to carry.

·
Registered
304 Posts
However many it takes for you to believe it is working well enough to trust your life to. In your specific scenario, assuming the gun has never given you trouble in the past, if the first magazine goes through without fail, that would probably be good enough for me. I would run a second through to be sure it wasn't a fluke though. 2 without fail would convince me.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
IMO, 200 to 250 should work just fine, but I like to take as much as I can afford for the outing. I love to shoot, so it's nothing for me to go for 4 or 5 hundred rounds when I get to shoot.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
I make sure to shoot 200 + , and at least 100 of that is the ammo I plan to use in it for carry. I have found some guns don't like some ammo. I made that mistake, shot a gun 300 rounds, all good... then loaded the ammo I was going to carry in it, and it never worked well ( FTF, FTE, etc.) . Changed to another one and it worked fine.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Normally I would say 100 of whatever SD round you are going to use. My personal experience with Sig's tend to be if it feeds the first 50 your going to be alright.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
I should add that the gun has shot about 500 rounds of FMJ and Speer gold dot without a single FTF or FTE.

I guess my question is around the new +p heavy load. I planned to shoot about 100 rounds and call it ok to trust. The round are pretty expensive at around a dollar a piece so I want to try and minimize cost if I can.
I'd be satisfied with that. Good plan.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
300 rounds of my practice ammo, and a box of my EDC carry.:smile:

·
Registered
319 Posts
500 rds with at least the last 100 rds being SD carry ammo. The last 100 rds fired intentionally trying to jam the gun, ie, weak hand held loosely, gun fired held in different directions, rapid fire, etc. Also using all the mags I plan to carry if an auto.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
My initial response was going to be 200 rounds of the self defense ammo you plan to carry. That said, you're carrying a P229. I've had tremendous success with my Sigs. They have all reliably shot whatever I've fed them. Always. And there really isn't a "break in" period with the classic Sig line. So, I'd probably think you'd be ok shooting a box of 50 self defense rounds and 100, or so, FMJ rounds. If you have zero problems with that, you'll probably be good to go.
Mine is similar, I was thinking 100 rds. But my Sig (P220) has been flawless, so I may even drop it as low as 50 (problem free).

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
With any new gun I will run 1000 rounds thru it before using as a CCW gun. In the 1000 rounds will be reloads, WWB, and 60 rounds of SD ammo. All magazines will be used. My new G19 went into CCW Service 2 months ago and has yet to be cleaned.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Mine is similar, I was thinking 100 rds. But my Sig (P220) has been flawless, so I may even drop it as low as 50 (problem free).
Let me add to my earlier post. I just was able to try my new gun yesterday -- a Sig P220 Carry. I went to the range and ran through roughly 100 rounds of Winchester White box (230 gr.). Lovely groupings! Then I pulled out a 50-round box of 185 +P HSTs. Wow! This is one remarkable gun. I thought that it would be a great carry and self-defense gun, but I didn't think it would rival my P226 for accuracy and sheer enjoyment. It does!

Needless to say, the 150 rounds I put through it gives me total confidence in carrying it anywhere. And, given the fact that it has a barrel shorter than the P226 (and even my H&K USP compact) -- I'm sure I'll be carrying it more than those guns. Now I need to decide if my P245 is redundant, or not. :image035:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts